Oculus Rift Showcasing package.

Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Re: Oculus Rift Showcasing package.

Post by Rickardo69 »

Unity is great and I'm really starting to get my head around the programming side of things now , by mid January I should have something to test on the rift .
It's not going to be fantastic but hey it's mine and really looking forward to seeing it in a truely immersive way lol.

Fps creator x10 is far more easier to use than unity , I know the results are like 100 miles apart but do u think a game created with x10 will be able to have rift support when the SDK is available
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

mm0zct wrote:I'd also be very interested in the Racing aspect, unfortunately Dirt 2/3 don't play particularly well with the current middleware (shadows being somewhat broken in 3d) so i don't know what we can expect there without some support from Codemasters themselves. They have bothered to implement AMD-HD3D in Dirt3 at least but I don't know how interested they would be in a VR system. Dirt3 at least seems to play nice with custom FOVs and resolutions, so it might be possible to get something reasonable with custom fov/resolution settings in Dirt3 and SBS mode in TridefDDD.

Logitech g27 owner chipping in. The Rift would be a completely different experience to my 22" Zalman, I currently play on my 27" Dell in preference, even though it's not 3D.
You can use XML notepad to disable shadows on any codemaster game. Force dx9 also and you get flawless 3d :) I'm using 3dvision.
\Documents\My Games\DiRT2\hardwaresettings\hardware_settings_config.xml
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

Thanks rowanunderwood, I am aware you can turn them off, you can do this in game just by putting shadows on the lowest setting. Unfortunately shadows are one of the biggest visual cues for positioning objects in an environment, and I think they would add an awful lot to the immersion in the Rift if they worked as well in stereo as they do in mono. It would be nice to get access to the native AMD HD3D stereo buffers that Dirt3 supports, to have stereo 3D without sacrificing shadows or other effects.

I prefer to play Dirt on the 27" because of the greater FoV and the 525px vertical resolution on the Zalman means you can't see a lot of the road texture. I know the developer Rift won't be even nearly the same 1440 as my Dell, but it's still almost 1.5x the effective Zalman resolution and won't suffer vertical under sampling problems the same way.

(vertical resolution Dell ~1.8x Rift ~1.5x Zalman (in 3d mode))

Return to “Oculus VR”