Sony HMZ-T2

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Sony HMZ-T2

Post by mahler »

Starftr wrote:New here, but could someone provide me the info on where to purchase the new HMZ-T2 by sony. and if it's outside of the US what will be needed to be compatible here.
You can import them from Japan through Amazon.com ($1053 USD - ex. shipping): http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Viewer-S ... 009JW8YY4/
And I think that re-seller gets them straight from the Japanese Sony Website (¥69 800 JPY ~ $844 USD - ex. shipping): http://store.sony.jp/Special/Visual/Hmd ... index.html

From what I can tell it seems to be almost identical in specs compared to HMZ-T1 apart from some more comfort. I don't see any country specific connectors.
Laptop PCs, digital camera chargers and the like tend to accept a wide range of voltages because they are designed for export to many countries. The power supply takes care of converting the input voltage (whatever it may be) to the appropriate voltage used by the device.

Here is the UK website for English (but it's more expensive there at £999 ~ $1613 USD - ex. shipping)
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/personal- ... ations#tab
logicalChimp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by logicalChimp »

As an owner of the T2, if it has improved comfort over the T1 I feel really *really* sorry for T1 owners :/

Afaik the main difference was that Sony removed the built-in headphones from the T1, resulting in it being slightly lighter. They apparently also tweaked the design of the forehead support, but it's still pretty uncomfortable, and it's still no lightweight.
DG4RiA
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DG4RiA »

Hi all, new to the board.

I owned the T2 since it's released here, so a few months now. Been using it almost everyday and even have a few 9 hours long gaming session with it. I was just reading the review posted above and complaint about T2 making sore noses. I'm pretty sure you guys have the fit wrong. The T2 meant to hover above your nose. The unit should not dip and touch your nose. You don't even have to wear it that tightly that the forehead pad made an inprint on your forehead (early mistake that I made with it).

I actually spent a lot of hours in the early stages with fitting, experimented alot with all the adjustable (eg forehead pad depth, the two headband straps), once you get that right, you still need a method to put it on properly. I am actually wearing it over my glasses. This is what I do, loosen the head straps, pivot the forehead pad on your forehead and make sure the unit doesn't touch your nose tighten the headband to the point you can let it go without the unit droping onto your nose. Make a little more adjustment up and down to focus the text (normally used the bootup text for this) You know the text is focus when the text is sharp doesn't look blurry. And to side to side adustment to make the text sharp in that direction as well. Tighten the headband some more so the T2 doesn't move when you make little movements (for me this is not as tight that it'll leave forehead pad print). Earlier I actually put it on really tight that even big movement doesn't move the T2, but I find this is not necessary since I am either sitting down or laying on a lazy chair or bed when using it. I find the unit is really comfortable to wear, once fitted properly.

Really love this thing. When you use it in pitch black dark room, and you let your eyes relaxed, the screen really give the illusion of your standard IMAX screen ( Not the extra large IMAXes unfortunately) and it's really nice. There is that illusion of depth. Only been using my PS3 with it, been researching on 3D gaming PC which bring me to this forum. Nice to meet you all. I'll probably have question about that. But if you have question in regard to T2, fire away.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Hey DG4RiA, welcome to the forum. Glad you that the T2 worked for you. I have the T1 and find it rather uncomfortable, but everyone's face is a little different.

I can't believe you did a 9 hour gaming session with the HMD, that is most impressive.
ALWL12
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ALWL12 »

I've had both the T1 and the T2. The T2 is quite a step up in fit, comfort and ultimately viewability since you don't have to keep moving it around on your face. I picked it up on Ebay from a Japanese seller. I've used it about a dozen times and am thinking of selling it. While its pretty awesome, it still is a niche device I don't use that much. Money in my wallet might be a better option for me. If you are interested in making me an offer, feel free to PM me. I have the original packaging and all the documentation. Its basically in brand new condition, but like I said, I've used it about a dozen times over the course of two months.
latin00032
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by latin00032 »

ALWL12 wrote:I've had both the T1 and the T2. The T2 is quite a step up in fit, comfort and ultimately viewability since you don't have to keep moving it around on your face. I picked it up on Ebay from a Japanese seller. I've used it about a dozen times and am thinking of selling it. While its pretty awesome, it still is a niche device I don't use that much. Money in my wallet might be a better option for me. If you are interested in making me an offer, feel free to PM me. I have the original packaging and all the documentation. Its basically in brand new condition, but like I said, I've used it about a dozen times over the course of two months.
Do you notice a difference in input lag? Is it better on the T2? Also, how much are you selling it for?
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

Hi,

Thinking of getting a HMZ-T2 for general gaming and also combining with Track IR for simulation games (whilst I wait for my Rift). Sony describes it as watching a 150" screen from 12 foot. Can anyone better explain how much of the users field of view is taken up by the display? I know its hard to describe but any explanation would be greatly appreciated.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

The T1 and T2 have the same FoV. Horizontal FoV of 45 degrees, diagonal of 51.6.
Lookforyourhands
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Lookforyourhands »

I modded the crap out of my Hmz-t1 and I can game for several hours at a time no problem.
And when I say that I mean it took me 3 days and tried several different methods.
Actually every time I put it on I am surprised how comfortable it actually is.
It maybe ugly, but I don't care, I'll see if I can post a photo.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”