Cyber's DIY Stereo Driver [Work Log]

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Cyber's DIY Stereo Driver [Work Log]

Post by cybereality »

Yes, the main issue I have with that idea is that rotating the camera horizontally and merely shifting the image horizontally (ie in a shader) is not the same thing. Then on the next frame when you actually do look to the side, do you shift the image back to where it should be? Just seems like it would introduce flickering in the render which may be worse than the lag it aims to reduce.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I think you may be missing my point.
When the render of an image begins, you will be looking in a certain direction, and this direction is what the renderer will use to create the image. By the time the render has completed, you wil ACTUALLY be looking not quite the same direction as when it started. So I'm thinking that you could then shift the rendered image either left or right, to compensate for the difference.
For instance, if you are turning right, and the start of the render, you are looking due North. Then by the end of the render, you have turned 1 degree East of North. In this case, you would post-render the image offset to the left a few pixels. If you continue turning at the same speed, the next image would begin to be rendered looking 1degree to the East of North, and by the time it finishes, you would again move it a few pixels to the left:

Start of render1 direction = 0 degrees
End of render1 direction = 1 degrees
Shift the final rendered image to the left 5 pixels (difference of 1 degree times scaling factor of 5 pixels per degree as an example).
Start of render2 direction = 1 degrees
End of render2 direction = 2 degrees
Shift the final rendered image to the left 5 pixels (again, difference of 1 degree times scaling factor of 5 pixels per degree as an example).

If you were to slow down rotation:
Start of render1 direction = 0 degrees
End of render1 direction = 1 degrees
Shift the final rendered image to the left 5 pixels (difference of 1 degree times scaling factor of 5 pixels per degree as an example).
Start of render2 direction = 1 degrees
End of render2 direction = 1 degrees
No shift of the rendered image (again, difference of 0 degree times scaling factor of 5 pixels per degree as an example)

Note that the 5 pixels per degree is just for example, and you would have to play with this scaling factor for best results.

I think it would be worth investigating.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I dont quite get it. So, you mean, move the display screen image a few pixels to simulate head turning? wouldn't that expose blank pixels on the edge of the screen, unless you rendered to a bigger screen than you are outputting on?
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

WiredEarp wrote:I dont quite get it. So, you mean, move the display screen image a few pixels to simulate head turning? wouldn't that expose blank pixels on the edge of the screen, unless you rendered to a bigger screen than you are outputting on?
The Driver is already stretching edge pixels when it adjusts for the distortion in the Rift.
rajveer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rajveer »

android78 wrote:BF2? How about BF3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4-BIr74Jv4
The difference is that in that video Cyber is emulating mouselook to look around, which you can only do when not moving the aircraft in some axes, and when holding a button. You could do the same in BF2, but BF2FreeLook gives full 6DOF tracking without having to press a button to free look and allowing you to still fully maneuver the aircraft whilst looking/moving around. With FreePIE reading sensor data and providing BF2FreeLook with Freetrack data, we have full 6DOF headtracking (if I'm right in that FreePIE does that), all that needs doing is the 3D, FOV and warping stuff.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I've heard you can actually control the plane while looking in BF3 etc by using keyboard to control it. Can anyone confirm this? If so, it might be possible to make a xPIE type script that would convert your joystick controls to key presses while in the process of looking around, so you could still control the plane while looking in BF3?
artox
Cross Eyed!

Post by artox »

Guys, anyone see this - http://www.wizdish.com/venturefest/
It looks silly, but if it works it will essentially solve a lot of VR issues.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

artox wrote:Guys, anyone see this - http://www.wizdish.com/venturefest/
It looks silly, but if it works it will essentially solve a lot of VR issues.
You may have missed this thread dedicated to that:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=14409
artox
Cross Eyed!

Post by artox »

Knew I had to do a forum search before posting ;)
Thanks
jaybug
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by jaybug »

WiredEarp wrote:I've heard you can actually control the plane while looking in BF3 etc by using keyboard to control it. Can anyone confirm this? If so, it might be possible to make a xPIE type script that would convert your joystick controls to key presses while in the process of looking around, so you could still control the plane while looking in BF3?
The keyboard controls the acceleration and yaw, so you can still control those while in "freelook" mode. But you lose pitch and roll, which are controlled by the mouse (or whatever controls you use).
Dakor
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Dakor »

hi!
I love your project and already wrote down some words in my blog about it, a while ago. (it's in German language )
After some time of just reading here I decided to ask if you may could try to get Killing Floor working.
It's an mod for UT3, so it could be easy,.. could ;)
It's co-op horror survival with zombies.. maybe you can give it a try, thanks :)
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Dakor this thread is no longer active.
It has continued at this thread
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15570

Correct me if I am wrong anyone
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@Dakor: Hey, welcome mate! I can put Killing Floor on the list to add after launch, timing is very tight.

@Namielus: Correct, that is the new thread.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”