Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Laserschwert
Cross Eyed!

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by Laserschwert »

Metathias wrote:Ultimately you dont want your headset wired to anything. Least of all a large control box. In the near term we might see some wireless methods used do just what you mention, but breaking the HMD itself away from any wires will be the goal. Dont expect that for a little while. Maybe when we get Wigig that will have sufficient throughput for the image and tracking information to be transmitted. This will of course be highly dependent on its latency (really more to do with protocols and layers than the fundamental capability of the hardware). Barring any major design flaws on the software/protocol/layer end it should work great.
And yet, the more you cram into the headset, the heavier it will get.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Cromfel wrote:
MSat wrote:I really hope the cable that goes from the control box to the Rift is replaceable without too much of a hassle (read: not soldered to the board, and replacements are available from Oculus).
The cable between the box and the HMD is not extendable, the signal degrades as the cable gets longer. What you could do, though, is wear the control box on your belt and run a long HDMI and power tether to that. Another solution would be to use something like the Asus WiCast and a battery pack for wireless operation. -Palmer
I hope there would be proper place to hook the HDMI/Power cable so that belt equiped they Wont detach. Like spot for cable tie or something... :roll:

The cable between the rift / cbox is very very short for any kind of proper VR use. Having battery attached to the control box with HDMI as only cable running would be OK to me (Custom retrofit). But ideally getting some 5 meters between the control box and rift would have been awesome. I thought it would end up being signal carriage problem.

Yeah, I know palmer stated it wasn't extendible. That's not a big concern for me as I intend to play either seated, or standing on spot. What I am worried about is in the event that I crush it somehow (I have ruined cables running them over with my chair :oops: it happens). So I want some way of replacing it. And since I would rather not have to hack together my own fix, I'd like to be able to get replacements.
zacherynuk
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by zacherynuk »

Laserschwert wrote:
Metathias wrote:Ultimately you dont want your headset wired to anything. Least of all a large control box. In the near term we might see some wireless methods used do just what you mention, but breaking the HMD itself away from any wires will be the goal. Dont expect that for a little while. Maybe when we get Wigig that will have sufficient throughput for the image and tracking information to be transmitted. This will of course be highly dependent on its latency (really more to do with protocols and layers than the fundamental capability of the hardware). Barring any major design flaws on the software/protocol/layer end it should work great.
And yet, the more you cram into the headset, the heavier it will get.
I tried this out last year http://sensics.com/products/low-latency ... ess-video/ when it was in testing and it was rather good...

There are plenty of other video transmitters around now too - and better batteries, but I think this research is well outside of the OR mandate... for now.
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

Measuring the size of the current prototype controller box image from the known width of the HDMI connector, it looks to be about 75mm x 110mm. That's roughly the same size as a largeish smartphone (e.g. Galaxy SIII ~ 70mm x 135mm), though probably a bit thicker. If you want to walk around with it, you could clip the box to your belt, and run a HDMI + USB (+ Power, or use a batter pack or over-powered USB) cable zip-tied together of whatever length you need. Same for if you want to make a custom slip-ring setup or a wireless HDMI+USB adapter.
You could even attach it to the back of your head as a sort of counterweight, but then you'd have to deal with a pair of relatively stiff cables sprouting from the back, which is the whole point of the custom Rift -> control-box cable in the first place!
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

EdZ wrote:Measuring the size of the current prototype controller box image from the known width of the HDMI connector, it looks to be about 75mm x 110mm. That's roughly the same size as a largeish smartphone (e.g. Galaxy SIII ~ 70mm x 135mm), though probably a bit thicker. If you want to walk around with it, you could clip the box to your belt, and run a HDMI + USB (+ Power, or use a batter pack or over-powered USB) cable zip-tied together of whatever length you need. Same for if you want to make a custom slip-ring setup or a wireless HDMI+USB adapter.
You could even attach it to the back of your head as a sort of counterweight, but then you'd have to deal with a pair of relatively stiff cables sprouting from the back, which is the whole point of the custom Rift -> control-box cable in the first place!
Don't forget the low latency tracker!
alekki
Cross Eyed!

Post by alekki »

Alkapwn wrote: Can you confirm which type of USB connector is on the back of the control box without getting into trouble? I was talking to a Slip ring manufacturer a while back and they needed a list of cables that would need to be combined into the one slip ring, in order to make a custom one. Now that we have "final specs" I'd like to resume talks with them.
Any idea how much a slip ring would cost? If you're ordering some, how about ordering in bulk with people on the forum? I'd definitely be interested.
drifter

Post by drifter »

Update #14 wrote:We're at I/ITSEC 2012 in Orlando, Florida this week (Dec. 3 - 6).
Nice, new previews of this new baby. 8-)
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

drifter wrote:
Update #14 wrote:We're at I/ITSEC 2012 in Orlando, Florida this week (Dec. 3 - 6).
YES! Finally, they are going to be near me. Looks like I'll be making the drive down from Jacksonville on Thursday. Can't wait to try out one of the Oculus demo units!
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
Mel

Post by Mel »

fireslayer26 wrote:
drifter wrote:
YES! Finally, they are going to be near me. Looks like I'll be making the drive down from Jacksonville on Thursday. Can't wait to try out one of the Oculus demo units!
And we west coasters can't wait to hear what you have to say about it!

:)
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

alekki wrote:Any idea how much a slip ring would cost? If you're ordering some, how about ordering in bulk with people on the forum? I'd definitely be interested.
Just fired the e-mail off now. Asked for a price on HDMI/USB and HDMI/USB/power and also what bulk discount would be. We shall see what the response is.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

fireslayer26 wrote:
drifter wrote:
+1 for me...if I can get in.
I have not read about I/ITSEC online yet to get info. Anyone know for sure that it is open to the public ? Can I just pay an entrance fee and get in ?
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Well, that's as good as official: https://twitter.com/LeapMotionDev/statu ... 3463499776

Oculus and Leap Motion pretty much want to join forces for the sake of goodness and righteousness.
MSat

Post by MSat »

zalo wrote:Well, that's as good as official: https://twitter.com/LeapMotionDev/statu ... 3463499776

Oculus and Leap Motion pretty much want to join forces for the sake of goodness and righteousness.

:woot :woot :woot :woot :woot

:D

:lol:
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
Okta

Post by Okta »

I dont have the twitters WTF does that link even mean?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

Okta wrote:I dont have the twitters WTF does that link even mean?
Basically nothing. it's a retweet of a some persons tweet talking about the cool gaming tech of the future, most likely LEEP are only mentioning it because they are among the cool tech mentioned.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Thats Leap Motion, LEEP is something different entirely.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
urban
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by urban »

Anyone know if the new display has a LED backlight?
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

urban wrote:Anyone know if the new display has a LED backlight?
I searched Panelook.com for all possible 7" screens with 1280x800 resolution that Oculus might use. They all seem to have WLED Backlight. So I think it's likely.
Mart
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mart »

mahler wrote:Panelook.com
Couldn't help but look for a 1080p screen :P (Closest I could find was 4.8")
Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

Namielus wrote:Thats Leap Motion, LEEP is something different entirely.
Rather then edit my post to make me seem competent I will say that I meant leap motion but said LEEP because i am an idiot.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Almost every modern mobile display uses LED these days, luckily.
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

3dvison wrote: +1 for me...if I can get in.
I have not read about I/ITSEC online yet to get info. Anyone know for sure that it is open to the public ? Can I just pay an entrance fee and get in ?
I'm curious about this too. The only prices I can find is on the Registration page which is $300-$500 depending??? Is this per person or for vendors??
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

fireslayer26 wrote:
3dvison wrote: +1 for me...if I can get in.
I'm curious about this too. The only prices I can find is on the Registration page which is $300-$500 depending??? Is this per person or for vendors??
OK, so it wasn't just me. I can't find entrance fee info to save my life on that website.
If you find something fireslayer26, let me know.

Also Palmer/Dycus, will your booth always be open ? Or is there a best time/day to find someone at the booth ?
Last edited by 3dvison on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Per person, I believe. It is a professional/military conference, so they can afford to charge what they want. Nobody is going to stop attending I/ITSEC when the price goes up by $100.
Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

I wonder if Oculus is there for just flogging rift to the big boys or headhunting for talent? perhaps both. If all goes well for Oculus and "value for money VR" you could really mess up the market for the mid ranged cats. Suddenly ten grand for a high FOV and head-tracker seems a bit much when you can pick one up for less then eight hundred.
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

PalmerTech wrote:Per person, I believe. It is a professional/military conference, so they can afford to charge what they want. Nobody is going to stop attending I/ITSEC when the price goes up by $100.
Well that sucks! Guess I won't be attending.... Unless anyone wants to make a donation to my Paypal account! Was really looking forward to it too. Probably the only chance i'll have to demo one.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

fireslayer26 wrote:
PalmerTech wrote:Per person, I believe. It is a professional/military conference, so they can afford to charge what they want. Nobody is going to stop attending I/ITSEC when the price goes up by $100.
Well that sucks! Guess I won't be attending.... Unless anyone wants to make a donation to my Paypal account! Was really looking forward to it too. Probably the only chance i'll have to demo one.
So that's $300 to $500 for a single person ?
Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

3dvison wrote:
fireslayer26 wrote:
So that's $300 to $500 for a single person ?
I don't think you would want to go, seems like a sales rep fest to me block booked by the respective companies, the instant they find out that you are not money, you will not be getting any demos or rep time. I wouldn't bother to provide a demo for you unless I knew you were looking to buy and buy a lot.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Hey Nogard,
I'm only going to read your post if you give me a dollar first...HaHa

Who am I kidding..I love reading your post, I pay to read them....put that last one on my tab... :D
Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

3dvison wrote:Hey Nogard,
I'm only going to read your post if you give me a dollar first...HaHa

Who am I kidding..I love reading your post, I pay to read them....put that last one on my tab... :D
Fantastic my going rate is ten bucks a post, but i can offer a discount to loyal customers also post with quotes in are half off!
urban
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by urban »

Thanks, Mahler, palmer

Another question about the LED backlighting :) . Is the brightness controlled by PWM?

Only reason I asked is because I have trouble looking at pwm controlled backlighting, it gives me migraines if the flicker is noticeable, I have had to run monitors on full brightness in the past to avoid the flicker from pwm

Thanks
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

What kind of phone do you have, and does it give you any problems?

Properly-implemented PWM should have a frequency so high, nobody would ever be able to notice unless the brightness is really low.
urban
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by urban »

iPhone 5, seems ok

Guess I'm worrying about nothing really
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

I'm sure you'll be fine.
quietboy
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by quietboy »

whoohooo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MrSmiley
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MrSmiley »

Anyone seen this?
Oculus VR has introduced its Rift virtual reality headset to a military market for the first time. The company used the I/ITSEC conference in Orlando, Florida, to demonstrate to military customers the Oculus Rift, which incorporates a lightweight headset and software elements.

-looks nice :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

now THAT GUY is about to kill somebody. :mrgreen:
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Libertine wrote:now THAT GUY is about to kill somebody. :mrgreen:
Correction: THAT GUY is about to kill EVERYbody!!!

Return to “Oculus VR”