Cyber's DIY Stereo Driver [Work Log]

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Cyber's DIY Stereo Driver [Work Log]

Post by cybereality »

@Costen: Ok cool, thanks for the suggestions. My brother has been bugging me about getting Slenderman working. I bet its easy so I may do this next. Amnesia would be cool also.
k2k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by k2k »

hi cyber would be good if you could aa3 running with novint looking into putting haptic feedback on with the xio
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

New video is up:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfqgkDx07RM[/youtube]
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Very nice ! Downloading now, can't wait to test that on my awful rig. :mrgreen:
Updated my list of supported games too...
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Is it descent II? I thought it was descent
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

If you talk about the last vid Cyber posted it's from Left4Dead, Descent II support is talked about in this thread : http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15377

The video is very good, the warp seems totally correct to me, although I don't have a real Rift and don't know if it'll be good for it.

The proportions of the rooms and characters seem quite right, the only gripe I have compared to the previous one (not corrected) is the crosshair which wasn't as annoying and the "convergence plane" (don't know if it's correct in this case) which seems to be closer. It's uneasy on my eyes to look at the gun or to zombies or teammates when they are close to me. It wasn't the case with your other video (Test 5).

Also it's headache inducing with that much fast movements, the pace of the previous vid was slower and easier for my eyes.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Im talking about the fact that at no point in the thread you are linking to , is descent II mentioned.
They are saying descent, it might still in fact be descent II, but this is the reason i am asking.
Riftoholic

Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

That's because I know this game and have also installed d2x-xl on my machine, which is shown in the bottom right corner of the screenshot. Yes, I've got a good attention to details... ;)
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Ok, thank you.
Riftoholic

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Just realized the video is cross-eyed and would need to be parallel to view on the Rift. Will have to make another vid.

@Fredz: I tried to keep the depth to a reasonable amount, but I was free-viewing it so maybe it looks different on a device. Will test on the HMZ-T1 next time.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

In fact I'm just stupid, I watched the video in it's native cross-eye format and I didn't even thought about it. Now I understand why only the far objects and characters were easy on the eyes, there's not much disparity past a certain distance.

I read once about a VR test where the engineers forgot to correctly set up the rendering, so everything was in pseudo stereo. And When they told testers that the rendering was inverted they didn't believe them.

I thought those testers were dumb not seeing this, and although I'm very picky about all this I didn't think it could happen to me also. The reason they gave was that the immersiveness was much more prevalent than stereoscopy, and know I tend to believe them.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

cybereality wrote:I tried to keep the depth to a reasonable amount, but I was free-viewing it so maybe it looks different on a device.
How do you set up the depth ? Do you use a metric scale correspondance for the scene (ie. 8 units = 1 foot in Quake 3 for example) and use a common eye separation of 6.5 cm ?
sellars
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sellars »

Just caught up with this thread after assembling a Rift like DIY box – I was wondering what was going on with that latest video - could feel that eye strain / cross talk strain going on - didn't think to check that the video might be at fault! :)

From the 'can't wait til december' thread, Palmer posted this about the 5x aspheric lenses I'm now using:
PalmerTech wrote:Those lenses are nice, but the field of view is quite a bit lower than the optics in the Rift. I used those UltraOptix lenses for some prototypes, but we are having custom lenses made. Cheaper, and even more geometric distortion = high pixel density in the center! Another thing to note: Because you are using a pure SBS signal, the center of each image is only 60.5mm apart, not the 65mm or so that is an average IPD. Because of this, you will have to move the lenses closer together than they should be to shift the image outwards, which means the exit pupil is not perfectly aligned. It works for testing, but does a lot better when you can shift the center of each image a few millimeters outward..
Is your driver dealing with the latter part of that already (the none-pure SBS, where the two camera viewpoints are slightly shifted?

Many thanks for your work so far btw - if you need someone to test/try to make throw up spectacularly, let me know :)

(Mirror's Edge made me feel ill in 2D, damnit)
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Hey cybereality,
How well do you now have Half-Life 2 working with your driver ?
Also how well did Deus Ex(The first one) work ?

Two games I would like to play on the RIFT.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Good work there Cyber. Do you know why the invisible wall at 34 seconds though? I would have thought that the wall would be invisible for one eye only (assuming that you are shifting one eye left and one right from the games normal view), not both at the same time.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@Fredz: No problem man, I have done the same thing while testing, it happens. I am not doing anything scientific to adjust the depth. I am just doing it by eye (its adjustable with hot-keys).

@sellars: Right now I am doing basic side-by-side (imagine 2 camera starting in the center and moving away from each other). I also have an offset amount that moves both cameras left or right (to help center the gun). To adjust the center point of each screen I would probably need convergence controls, but this is experimental right now.

@3dvison: HL2 is working, actually every game I have tried of the Source Engine seems to work. The old Deus Ex I think used DirectX7 or something old, which I am not supporting. I may be able to get the new one working, but I haven't looked into it yet.

@android78: The invisible wall is because I am messing with the camera but not adjusting the view frustum. The reason it happens in both eyes is because I have another offset parameter that moves both cameras additionally in one direction or another. This is to get the gun aligned better (sort of like the left-shift in IZ3D driver). But if you move the camera too much, then stuff will disappear.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Great cybereality,
Would love to play HL2 with the RIFT.
What controller or controllers do think will be the best to use with the RIFT and HL2 ?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@3dvison: Well the Razer Hydra is pretty cool, decent for a sit down setup. I also had some success with the Wiimote w/ Motion+.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

It does seem like the Hydra is talked about alot.
I guess if I am going to have your 3D driver and a RIFT the Hydra sounds like one of those first buy, must buy items.
Since the RIFT will come with a head tracker the Hydra seems like the best starting point to add to that headtracker.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I seem to remember someone talking about issues using the hydra together with rift. Compatibility/Tracking issues.
But I just cant find the thread, does anybody have any opinions on this?
Riftoholic

brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

It's not compatibility, it's accuracy that is supposed to be a little off. But while it may not have perfect performance, many people seem to think it works well enough. Personally I think the biggest issue is just mechanical since it's only a wired solution. I bought a Hydra last week, but have been too busy to take it out of the box. In a few weeks I am hoping to check it out for myself and maybe add FreePIE support for it.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Hey Cyber, have you tried to tackle SkyRim yet? I know Emerson did some work on it, but just curious if you had added some improvements to his implementation?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I do not have SkyRim, so I haven't tried it yet. I will put it on the list though and get to it when I can.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Why dont you put up a donation system.
Im sure people would donate a few dollars to get you the games needed.
Maybe you can offer a discount on the final product for the people who have donated
Riftoholic

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well this is going to be a commercial product, so I wouldn't feel right asking people for donations and still charging money for the driver.

Don't worry though, I have no problems investing in this myself and buying whatever games I need to get to make this a success.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

What about a game loan system. People could loan out games they wanted implemented so you don't have to eat the cost of acquiring games.

Or of course a KickStarter. Up-front cash to purchase a bunch of games
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I think I will be alright for now. But thanks for the suggestions.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Also, have you been keeping your warp correction up to date with the marbas reference? Since he's got Oculus verifying his warping it would be a good way to proof your model.

Edit: Nevermind. I see Dycus has been watching your videos as well.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Spent the afternoon trying to get Slenderman working, but there are major problems with it. I thought it would be easy since its such a simple game but far from it.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I thought slenderman was open source, more precisely I spoke to someone who claimed to have access to the unity project files for slenderman from some developer forum
Riftoholic

Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Hi, Have you been using "pure 16 Bit color mode" at all? And a funky resolution that is square not widescreen or even emulate 1000x1000 pixels? I tried it before and solved alot of those rendering bugs. Also you could try and run a tv tuner emulator pink static in the renderer. I was using the old school nvidia driver at the time.

If all else fails maybe just change the camera position lower or have it bodened higher. Usually some auto movement will diminish the feel of anomolies.

Just to make sense of my post is that when I tested the above methods for 1000x1000 and tv tuner in the background renderer is that it made the shaders or shadows and certain textures look like silk. Reguarding the pure 16 bit color mode its the safest and most robust "fastest" rendering mode that Could make the shadows and other anomolies go away. I think alot of the indie games or certain games do like to render better in 16 bit even though they were forced to render in 32 bit color mode.

But another thing that was mentioned before on mtbs.com was that it would be possible to use an mpeg dxva in either software or if the person has hardware support to help video render in stereo3d. I guess if a game only uses 15% cpu then you could have 50% used from software mpeg dxva into your driver.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
kalabalik
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kalabalik »

Cyber, is there any possibility to add Aerofly FS to the list of upcoming games to be supported?
That flight "sim" is completely playable with minimal stick settings and such so you can fly around somewhat arcadeish but with a phenomenal wind simulation and gorgeous vistas; so I'd think that would be a real nice addition to Rift games :)

Thanks mate, been following your work at the tube and all these threads. Great work :)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@kalabalik: I can look into it.
kalabalik
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kalabalik »

cybereality wrote:@kalabalik: I can look into it.
That'd be awesome to say the least!

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cZryVcuBeA[/youtube-hd]
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Got SkyRim mostly working (except shadows):
SkyRim.jpg
Cross-eye image.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Is that with mouse emulation or full head tracking?
Riftoholic

android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Skyrim's looking great!
Aerofly looks like it would be fantastic with the rift too. ;-)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Namielus wrote:Is that with mouse emulation or full head tracking?
I haven't got the head-tracking in yet, I will do that this week.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Nice. SkyRim is a must have VR game and should be absolutely stunning on the Rift. I'm really surprised you didn't already own it.
Last edited by brantlew on Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Damn Warner Bros if they successfully stop the Lord of the rings mod for skyrim.
Its 9 times bigger, and has alot of incredibly beautiful landscapes.
Riftoholic

Return to “Do it Yourself!”