The Sony HMD is real!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Re: The Sony HMD is real!

Post by ancjob »

lllJameslll wrote:Yeah thanks Fredz, looking at Sonys sites it looks like everywhere has been given a date and price appart from the UK. I even phoned Sony UK up today to see if they could tell me anything and they said even they havnt been given any information about the product or when to expect it. With Europe looking like we are paying through the nose for this product with Sonys $ to £ to Euro conversion being 1:1 I think I will try to import one to get it earlier and cheaper.

If anyone knows anywhere that will be selling these in either the US or Japan and that provide an international delivery service I would be greatfull to be pointed in the right direction.
well you can always count on ebay/amazon etc once the item is released and it's been time [around 4-5 months] in that case patience is the name of the game and to top it you have to be lucky! :lol:
lllJameslll
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lllJameslll »

Yeah unfortunatly I have tried Amazon.com for items before and they do not ship to the UK, atleast not for the products I enquired about. I wouldnt use ebay for such an expensive tech item as I dont trust all that use the site.

Good news though I contacted avscience.com, which was mentioned earlier. Mike got back to me within an hour of emailing. They will put me on the pre order list and will ship using USPS international package, if there is any warrenty problem I would need to cover the cost of shipping back to the US. Once I give AVScience my address they will give me a shipping estimate. I recon if the price for the US and UK is $799 and £799 respectivly then the £290/$450 saved coveres me for atleast the original delivery and a couple of warrenty returns before I would loose out compared to if I just buy it from the UK, add that to the added benefit of getting it before it is released over here, it seems like a win win option to me.

Before I get too carried away though can I ask has anyone here delt with avscience.com for anything before and if so was the service they provided a good one?

Thanks in advance for any replies

James
mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mayaman »

Guys if you could help me out here it would be fantastic.

I play PC/PS3/Xbox360. I play the most 3D content on the PS3 and then the PC. I play the few select games for the 360 in 3D. My question is this.

A. Should I buy the Sony HMD even though it doesn't do head tracking?
B. Should I buy the Vuzix VR1200?
C. Should I wait for the Zeiss 720p?
C. Which would allow me to play the three formats mentioned above in 3D?
D. Which has the better/brighter/screens?
E. I've been trying to preorder the Sony glasses but I can't find anywhere that is doing pre-orders for the USA. Even Sony just has a red square where the pre-order button should be. I don't want to miss out.

My apologies for the overly simplistic questions guys? But I wanted to make it as clear as possible what I want. I'm a long time VR lover, have owned almost every HMD the last 18 years and have disappointed with every one. :( I hope our time is coming finally. :)

Thanks again.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Mayaman. I would wait for the Sony without a doubt. The resolution, quality, compatibility and FOV are well ahead of the others. The cinemizer may be a close second but form from we hear it only has 35 degree FOV.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
ginhead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ginhead »

lllJameslll wrote:Before I get too carried away though can I ask has anyone here delt with avscience.com for anything before and if so was the service they provided a good one?
James,
I’m new to this site, but have been on avs for about 10 years. Their sales, service & support are top notch. I’ve purchased a few (relatively) high dollar items (projectors, screens, bulbs, etc) and highly recommend them.

Regarding the HMZ-TI, does anyone have plans to make these portable?

hacking the box to by-pass the power supply with a rechargeable battery should not be too difficult once one figures out the power supply output(s). A 60 watt-hour laptop battery should get one in the 3-4 hour range, assuming one can get suitable voltage/amperage out.

Any future owner up for opening up the box and spec’ing out the power supply outputs?
Jeff
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I don't think I will be dissecting my unit, but I fully support anyone who does.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Cool, I'll wait for the Sony's then. But no head tracking :(

The Carl Zeiss video they just put up with the head tracking in the race carl is just awesome. What to do what to do.

Does anyone know if I preorder on Sony's site, if they bang my card immediately or do they wait till the day of shipment?

thanks
nrp
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by nrp »

ginhead wrote:
lllJameslll wrote:Before I get too carried away though can I ask has anyone here delt with avscience.com for anything before and if so was the service they provided a good one?
James,
I’m new to this site, but have been on avs for about 10 years. Their sales, service & support are top notch. I’ve purchased a few (relatively) high dollar items (projectors, screens, bulbs, etc) and highly recommend them.

Regarding the HMZ-TI, does anyone have plans to make these portable?

hacking the box to by-pass the power supply with a rechargeable battery should not be too difficult once one figures out the power supply output(s). A 60 watt-hour laptop battery should get one in the 3-4 hour range, assuming one can get suitable voltage/amperage out.

Any future owner up for opening up the box and spec’ing out the power supply outputs?
Jeff
I probably will, but I may wait until the price drops before doing anything that could break it, like hacking in a new power supply or swapping out the optics for a larger field of view.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Maybe something like this. Just rip out the transformer and replace with portable battery.

http://www.tekkeon.com/products-mypowerall.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lllJameslll
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lllJameslll »

@ ginhead thanks for the reply, avs looked legit but its always worth getting other peoples oppinions these days. Im going to pre order soon as avs get the details of price, date etc... sorted

Making these and the Razor Hydra controllers wireless would be amazing but I think I will just find a way of putting up with the wires as I cant afford to risk breaking any of the stuff im going to be buying. Kudos to you if you have the balls to risk it.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Headtracking can be added, just get a TrackIR. This is much better than anything Vuzix has to offer. I plan to make this portable by using WHDI and a battery pack, enabling 360 DOF. I'll also be using something like Jim Blackhall's PC Game Gun.
Johnny-Mnemonic

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

Aphradonis wrote:Headtracking can be added, just get a TrackIR. This is much better than anything Vuzix has to offer. I plan to make this portable by using WHDI and a battery pack, enabling 360 DOF. I'll also be using something like Jim Blackhall's PC Game Gun.
Track IR and Vuzix tracker are too different to be compared like that.
I own both. Yes Track IR is presize, real absolute 6DOF. But it works in limited area and only when you look at "camera".
While Vuzix head-tracker is 360 degree head-tracker, you can rotate as you wish, and their new version (6TC) while still is 3DOF, but it's much better than old one built-in VR920.
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Mayaman, I wouldn't bother considering the Sony HMD if you are only going to play console games. With no built in head tracker, nothing will be supported (and, unlike the PC, you can't just slap on TrackIR) and all you will be able to do is play 3D movies on it. Which will be cool, but why not just get a good 3DTV?

This HMD will be of most use to hobbyists IMHO, who will be able to adapt it for things such as FPV, VR, flight simulation etc, by adding aftermarket trackers. Without a head tracker, its going to be just an expensive toy.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

I didn't say I only play console games. Also I already have four 3D TVs, I'm looking for immersion which you just don't get with a tv. I have trackIR and it's great, head tracking in ArmA II is fantastic.

But optics are what is going to bother me with the Vuzix 1200. I had the VR920 and it just wasn't up to par for me. I don't want to get burned again.

The Sony HMD looks like it's going to offer the widest FOV yet. I'm thinking I can add a third party head tracker if that exists.

I'm looking for immersion and picture quality. I think the Sony and Carl Zeiss will probably trump the Vuzix in that respect.

I play flight sims, so this would also be what I want. And why can't I use my trackIR with track clip? I could just mount it to the front of the headset.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

WiredEarp wrote:Mayaman, I wouldn't bother considering the Sony HMD if you are only going to play console games. With no built in head tracker, nothing will be supported (and, unlike the PC, you can't just slap on TrackIR) and all you will be able to do is play 3D movies on it. Which will be cool, but why not just get a good 3DTV?
I wonder why you think it won't be appropriate for console games ?

Sony has already stated that their HMD will be compatible with the PlayStation 3 and that you'll be able to play games with it. It has even been announced that thanks to its dual output other people will be able to watch what you are doing on a TV.

The fact that it lacks a head-tracker may be unfortunate but it won't prevent anyone from playing games, just like on a TV. It won't be virtual reality, but it can still be called immersive gaming IMO.
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

9Hex on AVS posted a review on the headset in Japan. I tried to translate the website but it wouldn't go through with google or babelfish.

Here's the direct link. I ended up copying the website text and translating it through google separately.

The direct link also has a few key pictures, one of the menu, some of the alignment process the headset takes you through, and even some good shots of the picture quality through the lenses.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

To be honest, without headtracking there is no point in bothering with HMDs. You can just get a 3D monitor or projector and be done with it. Unless the HMD had some crazy FOV (like 90+) then I'm just not sure it could compete with, say, a 3D projector (which you can get for cheaper). I admit, I still plan to buy the Sony headset. But only with the plans that I could somehow hack a tracker onto it. Sure 3D Blu-Ray and PS3 games will be fun. But they won't really take advantage of what an HMD has to offer.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Other than my trackIR, is there another head tracker that could be bought?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

cybereality wrote:To be honest, without headtracking there is no point in bothering with HMDs. You can just get a 3D monitor or projector and be done with it.
It's still a good choice for people who don't have enough space for a projector. And I guess it'll be a lot more immersive than a 3D monitor when gaming with a PS3 as well. I'd be curious to know if it really looks like a 750" screen at 20m, if that's the case it would be better than a projector too (except if you live in a theater :P).
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Johnny-Mnemonic wrote:their new version (6TC) while still is 3DOF, but it's much better than old one built-in VR920.
Vuzix claims that its 6dof:
The Wrap Tracker 6TC is the newest and most advanced head tracker available in the consumer market. This tiny 6-DoF (Degrees of Freedom) capable tracker plugs into a small port on the Wrap 920 and Wrap 1200 series of video eyewear.
http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/products_ ... rap_addons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@Fredz: If it really looks like a 750" screen, sure. I just really doubt that. Vuzix claims their Wrap 1200 looks like a 75" screen and it appears nowhere close. Even my 23" monitor I think has a great FOV if I sit close (like I normally do). The Sony HMD should be about double the size of the Vuzix, but we are still only talking about around a 32" virtual image or something. So I assume a 3D projector, or even a nice big screen HDTV, would be more impressive. But who knows, maybe it really does appear as 750". It that were true, then Sony would have a winner on their hands.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Aeroflux wrote:9Hex on AVS posted a review on the headset in Japan. I tried to translate the website but it wouldn't go through with google or babelfish.

Here's the direct link. I ended up copying the website text and translating it through google separately.

The direct link also has a few key pictures, one of the menu, some of the alignment process the headset takes you through, and even some good shots of the picture quality through the lenses.

great pal ! image is so crisp and bright - it can beat the crap out of any HMD on earth including those in usd$35-40k range.....surely emagin will be doomed.......if they add a 6DOF headtracker later....i guess ext head trackers may work refer here http://www.vrealities.com/headtrackers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i think it will support gamiing in 3d using the HDMI 1.4a enabled PCs/laptops so head tracker addition may not be a big problem after all !

PS3 gaming will be so much of fun with this headset ......as soon as i get this - i will get ps3 and some decent scary games...for a treat!....
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

WOW!
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!?!?!?!?!?

That thing blows the Vuzix into the dinosaur age!!!!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote: WOW!

seems that have succeeded in putting HD 1080p 3D enabled TV into this device .....

this Sony 'thing' is gonna blow the entire gamut of HMDs into oblivion...whether it's z800 or the likes of those in usd35-40k and above...

once this is released - all HMDs makers will think twice as this is will the quality as well as pricing benchmark...and difficult to compete for sure
Syntax
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Syntax »

WOW!

I ve tried the HMZ-T1 myself and I can say its truely hd like. Vuzix image is nothing in terms of image clearness,colour saturation and contrast compared to this.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

ancjob wrote:
Aeroflux wrote:9Hex on AVS posted a review on the headset in Japan. I tried to translate the website but it wouldn't go through with google or babelfish.

great pal ! image is so crisp and bright - it can beat the crap out of any HMD on earth including those in usd$35-40k range.....surely emagin will be doomed.......if they add a 6DOF headtracker later....i guess ext head trackers may work refer here http://www.vrealities.com/headtrackers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i think it will support gamiing in 3d using the HDMI 1.4a enabled PCs/laptops so head tracker addition may not be a big problem after all !

PS3 gaming will be so much of fun with this headset ......as soon as i get this - i will get ps3 and some decent scary games...for a treat!....
You should try out Fatal Frame 4 with Wii Dolphin emulator in 3D Vision. That game scare the sh*t out of me. Took me 2 months to finish the game using 3D 720p projector as my wife ban me from playing the game alone. Afraid that I will get heart attack playing the game and no one will help me to call an ambulance.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

pierreye wrote:
You should try out Fatal Frame 4 with Wii Dolphin emulator in 3D Vision. That game scare the sh*t out of me. Took me 2 months to finish the game using 3D 720p projector as my wife ban me from playing the game alone. Afraid that I will get heart attack playing the game and no one will help me to call an ambulance.
i cannot locate Fatal Frame 4 on amazon usa - plz give more specs...
joyceanblue2
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by joyceanblue2 »

i see the HMZ-T1 on yahoo auction japan selling for 54,000 yen(700$) still two days left before auction ends, and there are combos with bluray player too.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

ancjob wrote:
pierreye wrote:
i cannot locate Fatal Frame 4 on amazon usa - plz give more specs...
It's a Jap title game called Zero: Tsukihami no Kamen. It never release in US/UK but there is a fan translated version that you can combine with the Jap version. Or you can buy the original Jap Version and just download the ISO from the net with English version build in by the fan. Note that you need pretty high spec PC. Also, Dolphin run better in Win7 64bit. My spec is i5-750 OC to 3.9Ghz with 4Gb RAM + GTX560 Ti. If you need further help on the setup, let me know.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

What sort of game is it pierreye? FPS? 3rd person?

I've got a wiimote lying around, so maybe its time to give this Dolphin emulator a go...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

joyceanblue2 wrote:i see the HMZ-T1 on yahoo auction japan selling for 54,000 yen(700$) still two days left before auction ends, and there are combos with bluray player too.
Sounds strange, the thing is clearly not out yet. And if someone where selling a pre-production/review unit or something, then surely the price would be more than $700.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

WiredEarp wrote:What sort of game is it pierreye? FPS? 3rd person?

I've got a wiimote lying around, so maybe its time to give this Dolphin emulator a go...
It's a 3rd person view game. But when you required to battle the ghost, it will turn to first person view where you look through the camera optical viewfinder.
joyceanblue2
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by joyceanblue2 »

cybereality wrote:
joyceanblue2 wrote:i see the HMZ-T1 on yahoo auction japan selling for 54,000 yen(700$) still two days left before auction ends, and there are combos with bluray player too.
Sounds strange, the thing is clearly not out yet. And if someone where selling a pre-production/review unit or something, then surely the price would be more than $700.
i suppose because there is still sometime left before the auction end.
check out the listing at the following link
http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... i%3Deuc-jp
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Could be a scam though, who knows? I certainly wouldn't trust that.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

So with the Sony HMZ-T1 hooked to a computer, running Windows at 1280*720, the windows desktop should be big enough for viewing text, icons and webpages correct ?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

3dvison wrote:So with the Sony HMZ-T1 hooked to a computer, running Windows at 1280*720, the windows desktop should be big enough for viewing text, icons and webpages correct ?
I would assume so. Here is the only shot available right now, but its in Japanese and scaled down a bit so its hard to tell how clear it would be in real life.

Looks better than the 1200VR for sure, though.
mcsilvio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mcsilvio »

Sorry if this is already linked. But the Sony HMD appears in the vid for a few moments. Nothing big but anyway:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/23/the- ... k-out-the/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

cybereality wrote:
3dvison wrote:So with the Sony HMZ-T1 hooked to a computer, running Windows at 1280*720, the windows desktop should be big enough for viewing text, icons and webpages correct ?
I would assume so. Here is the only shot available right now, but its in Japanese and scaled down a bit so its hard to tell how clear it would be in real life.

Looks better than the 1200VR for sure, though.
Yea I saw that picture, it's what made me ask the question.The icons at the bottom of the screen looked so small. But if it is razor sharp it should be fine to work in Windows. Like you said, that pic is scaled down, so it's not as sharp looking as the real thing.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

3dvison wrote: Yea I saw that picture, it's what made me ask the question.The icons at the bottom of the screen looked so small. But if it is razor sharp it should be fine to work in Windows. Like you said, that pic is scaled down, so it's not as sharp looking as the real thing.
I think they might be running in 1080P resolution but downscaled to 720P. No way the icons would be that small at 720P.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

cybereality wrote:
3dvison wrote: I think they might be running in 1080P resolution but downscaled to 720P. No way the icons would be that small at 720P.
Good point cybereality, I hope your right, because if you are, that would make the desktop a perfect size to work with.

Even though these pictures are taken through the units lenses, so they are not the best to look at and make a judgment from, I can still tell you it looks better than any display I have ever owned....But that might just be the inky black talking..

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”