The Sony HMD is real!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: The Sony HMD is real!

Post by cybereality »

If someone was selling the real-deal virtual reality console, where you would connect it straight to your brain and jack into the Matrix. I'm talking 100% accurate, full sensory perception, indistinguishable from reality. Now that, I'd pay $12K for that. But for a current-generation HMD where you are basically just strapping some small screens to your head, no thanks.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

cybereality wrote:If someone was selling the real-deal virtual reality console, where you would connect it straight to your brain and jack into the Matrix. I'm talking 100% accurate, full sensory perception, indistinguishable from reality. Now that, I'd pay $12K for that.
Only $12,000? :)
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Hi guys, the menu control board is connected through something called "Flexible PCB" (Direct translated from Swedish), its like a flat cabel, its very short so I have trouble finding a good way of mounting it to the skigoggle frame. Do you guys know if the connector is standard and can be bought somewhere?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Know what you mean. I checked elfa with minor success, at least for a suitable connector that doesn't damage the cable.
Do you have a trashed cd/dvd-player or hdd around? I think such cables and connectors could be common in some lcd monitors as well. If they suit however i don't know.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

If its a micro flex cable, good luck. When my Hydra one broke, I found places I could buy them from, but they only made them to order and in larger amounts. How many conductors does it have?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Forgot to check while i were at work, and i left the stuff there, can check the number of pins later this week, right now i think the best solution is to just use a L-bracket and mount the control panel on that and use the orginal cable.

Tested my mod for the first time today with the alu mounting base, still see through glass in the goggles etc (willl spray paint it matte black tomorrow after work) but man what a difference, i can get 95% focus all over the image and it just a matter or putting on the goggles, with the stock design it can take minutes to get acceptable focus.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Some progress

I've spray painted the parts, very sexy result :D

My friends china CNC rig isn't perfect, and you can see it has left some marks on the piece, but its ok for the purpose

I had to use several layers to get it to cover 100%, used a strong lamp on the other side until i couldnt see the light on the other side, took about 7 layers

Mate paint is really good for this, zero reflections, you can compare with the platic i left unpainted in the top
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Looking good. Once you get everything worked out you should consider creating a 3D model of it that would be suitable for a 3D printer like the other guy around here is doing.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Nice!
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Let us know if it leave any mark on your face. I'm stripping out the soft sponge and replace with natural rubber padding (use by ladies for makeup) and see if it will reduce the marking.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I think the plastic that 3D printers produce are to weak to support the heavy optics. My friends who has the CNC fizz are making a 3D probe for it, you can place an object and it will scan the surface. Im planning on using this to get a 3D cad of the glass and then make a new version and CNC cut the hole

Pierreye, will let you know when ive used it for a while, mine is a little lighter than yours though since i dont have the stock casing like you have
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

You are really doing a thorough job with this CyberVillain. You should consider moving this project to it's own topic in the DIY section. :)
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

brantlew wrote:You are really doing a thorough job with this CyberVillain. You should consider moving this project to it's own topic in the DIY section. :)
Ask and you shall receive :P
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15110
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Played a few episodes of Battlefield 3 with my new Ski goggle mod tonight, and poop that game is so perfect in 3D, ok, I'm partial in my opinion since the game is Swedish, but man. Zero artifacts and just 100% VR feeling.. All games should have the stereoscopic quality of that game, I wish all game devs were Swedish :P
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Yeah. It's a great game in 3D. Finished the whole campaign using VR setup and it's very immersive.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Hadrianmike wrote:Spam
Spam much?
I would never buy anything from a company using that kind of channels
Last edited by CyberVillain on Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

CyberVillain wrote: Spam much?
Please don't reply to the spammers, as it just looks weird after I delete the posts.

You can click on the 'report' button (the [!] on the bottom right of the post) and I will deal with it promptly. Thanks.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

cybereality wrote:
CyberVillain wrote: Spam much?
Please don't reply to the spammers, as it just looks weird after I delete the posts.

You can click on the 'report' button (the [!] on the bottom right of the post) and I will deal with it promptly. Thanks.
Sorry man, will do
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I flew my Parrot Ar Drone Quadrocopter with the Sony HMD for the first time today, it was sick! It was very sunny which is very bad when flying with a laptop screen as display, but with the Sony I could sit right in the sun and it was totally black* inside my HMD.

*I had to remove the foam I use as lightblocker because it became to hot inside the HMD which made the optics foggy, but since i made a tight fit bewteen the optics and the ski goggle glasses it was still dark enough inside the HMD
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Cool.

How is gaming on the goggles now?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

brantlew wrote:Cool.

How is gaming on the goggles now?
As good as it can get with current gen HMD's, I get focus in 95% of the image, and i can play with no pain, after an hour I do feel the weight over my nose, but no pain like with the stock design.

I hope next gen HMD's will have better optics with a wider focus range
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

You should post a pic of the completed goggles.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Will do, I'm not home at current, but when I get home i will.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Funny side note, I have raised my cell phone in the flag pole outside and conneced my laptop to it using the wifi-hotspot feature in the phone. Only way of getting 3G connection at my girlfriends country house :D
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

brantlew wrote:You should post a pic of the completed goggles.

PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

I know you mentioned that an enclosure is tough because of weight, I would try mocking something up out of foamcore board and hot glue. Lightweight, and strong enough for what you are doing. :)
suckmysound
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by suckmysound »

i had a chance to try headplay when it was being auctioned by Dell with free shipping - usd$149[free shipping]
though image quality was great but the whole unit seemed cumbersome and the optics was NOT good [screen being too close and reflective - black spots if slightly out of angle ] so i saved my usd$149 then forgoing the offer though it was tempting!
but the image Q of the unit impinged on me [not the optics - worst optics - one can fathom]

i have NOT tried yet the HMZ but knida curious.
But the usd$799 is on the high side for me to spend .

Currently the competition is between HMZ and st1080 only[same price].

HMZ reviews say it 's very specific to shape and size of head contours and eye pupil distance so different ppl have different opinion about the same .

i know it's wrong to compare something worth a usd$149 to another almost five times the price of it.
oleds are the best compared to any LCoS based unit - that i know.

Now if someone has both Headplay and sony HMZ - which one is the WORST (from optics point of view) Headplay or HMZ ?
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

Mirror's Edge on HMZ-T1 with Stereo3D. Easily the best gaming experience I've ever had. Nothing even comes close. The closest I've ever gotton to VR. Can't wait till Valve makes a HL game with the same principles. Hope id doesn't wait for valve to do it first this time. This is the future of the first person genre (not talking about the jumping etc). A good fps (from Valve or id) with Mirror's Edge style first person perspective and dynamics, in stereo3D, with a HMD is what I've been waiting for all my life :)

Even without head tracking, this is gaming nirvana.
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Here's an update on changing the AC --> DC transformer to DC --> DC converter. The input accept 9v to 30v and the output is constant 5.62v. I'm using Dimension Engineering 25W Step down adjustable switching regulator. The voltage adjustment is very simple with this unit to get the right voltage reading. The knob is not too sensitive so you can make minute adjustment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I love those Dimension Engineering components. They work great.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Nice work! I have to motivate myself to start working on mine again
vossa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vossa »

Check out if you can the Sony Outlet Stores that have Refurbished HMZ-T1 units for $399!

Maybe they can ship one to you :-)

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... le_Outlets

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”