The Gallery: Oculus Rift Adventure Game KICKSTARTER LIVE!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Bishop51
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

The Gallery: Oculus Rift Adventure Game KICKSTARTER LIVE!

Post by Bishop51 »

*EDIT* Added Kickstarter Link 3/18/2013

The Gallery: Six Elements Kickstarter campaign is now live!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/494 ... f=category

Hey MTBS mods! Please let me know if anything below doesn't jive with the house rules. I'm a regular contributor to the forums and I thought this was especially relevant to this particular part of the forum ecosystem.

Hi guys!

I've been an active MTBS3D member for some time now (pre-Oculus hysteria). I did some early logo work for Palmer because I was so excited about his early "build it yourself" units prior to the Kickstarter craze. Like you, I had good reason to be excited because Palmer had finally brought that last piece of the puzzle to the table, a game designer's (and game player's) Holy Grail if you will. So a few months ago I rounded up some talented fellow game designers and we've been working ever since on a game built from the ground up to utilize the Oculus Rift. Not just a "Rift compatible" game but a game that truly leverages the design sensibilities and challenges that a virtual reality experience brings to players. "Experience" being the key word :)

The Gallery

In short; The Gallery is a deeply immersive adventure that places you in the shoes of an Urban Explorer who stumbles upon an ancient secret lost to time. We're building up to a full release of information about The Gallery which will occur later this month and into March. We are VERY excited to receive our developer kits in March to begin exploring our work as intended! We're also excited about the challenges and we hope to have an open dialog with other developers diving into the same uncharted water. Just like the fine people at Oculus I firmly believe it is the Indies who will lead the charge, take the risks and venture into VR in a way that larger companies simply can't. We hope that we're among that fine group :)

Here's a few pre-Alpha screens. We'll have video and additional information later in the month. In the short term we'll be sure to keep you updated here or you can track the project via Facebook . Thanks for reading and talk to you soon!

Who watches you?
Who guides you?
What awaits you?
(Screen capture of upcoming promotional video)

*EDIT* Added Tease Environment video 2/8/2013

Hi guys! We thought you'd like to see a little teaser showing an "environmental still" from one of our game environments. There's a lot of care and attention going into these environments and you can only really get a sense of that from just sort of taking a minute to soak things in ;) We can't wait to just hang out in some of these places! We'll have more as the month progresses!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaMrswScN_w[/youtube]

*EDIT* Added Player / Hero teasers 2/12/2013

As promised, here's a couple more teaser shots. A lot of focus is being placed on body persistence, gear interaction and related details. We hope to include a female hero as well so that everyone is represented and can feel more comfortable in their virtual skin :) We'll be sure to get some incidental video to you guys as well in the very near future :)

*EDIT* Added Cave-Mine Tease 2/16/2013

Hey gang. Just thought you'd appreciate another small look at what's coming your way. Getting much closer to our full reveal and we can't wait to share with everyone here!

*EDIT* Added Unknown Location 2/21/2013

Hey gang!

We're getting much closer to revealing to everyone what The Gallery is all about and our plans moving forward. We're so excited and there's so much yet to share! All will become very clear this March :) Just in time for dev kit madness!

*EDIT* Added Official Kickstarter Announcement & Video Tease 2/22/2013

Hey again gang!

In anticipation of our Kickstarter launching this March, we've decided to give you a small video tease of just one of the extraordinary places we'll be taking you in "The Gallery"!

If you enjoy what you see and you're excited about The Gallery please do us a BIG favor and help spread the word. We're doing everything we can to make this a truly magical experience on some truly special hardware! The future looks bright and with your support its only going to get better.

BE SURE TO WATCH IT IN HD :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPtfvqxYhxU[/youtube]

*EDIT* Added Gallery Frame Tease 2/28/2013

Cloudhead Games
Denny Unger / President / Creative Director

http://www.cloudheadgames.com
http://www.thegallerygame.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Gall ... 296?ref=hl
Last edited by Bishop51 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 12 times in total.
zino
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: The Gallery: An Oculus Rift Game

Post by zino »

An exploration game sounds great. Also looking forward to see those fires rendered in 3D. If it works out I can probably spend a few minutes just watching those.
Bishop51

Re: The Gallery: An Oculus Rift Game

Post by Bishop51 »

You should see some of that in action very soon! Its actually quite mesmerizing :)
Kerry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: The Gallery: An Oculus Rift Adventure Game

Post by Kerry »

Looks great! Can't wait to see the video once it's completed :)
eidahl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by eidahl »

Wow, beautiful... I imagine walking through those spider webs will be one trippy experience. =D
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

This will be the first VR indie hit! :)
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Bishop51 wrote:Hey MTBS mods! Please let me know if anything below doesn't jive with the house rules. I'm a regular contributor to the forums and I thought this was especially relevant to this particular part of the forum ecosystem.
Personally I wouldn't mind if all the companies making Rift games came here and posted about them. Actually, I really wish they would.
Bishop51 wrote:We're also excited about the challenges and we hope to have an open dialog with other developers diving into the same uncharted water.
It may be uncharted, but that water in the game doesn't look very clean... Come to think of it, I'm not so sure that even is water. ;)

Seriously though, this game looks amazing. I'm not even sure it needs any plot or action. Just looking at those spiderwebs and fire in VR is going to be awesome. Those spider-webs across your path were a good design decision for VR, you know your stuff. I hope you are doing something 3D with those fires though.

There's something odd with the colouring at the edges of the objects, like the cyan and magenta are offset. Is this from printed materials?

Anyway, I can't wait to try this game.
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

Those environments look very promising for virtual reality... all those spaces seem great for wandering around with an extra dimension of immersion which you may only have with VR. The sewer is dark/scary/claustrophobic, the large hallway seems imposing, fire is mesmerizing (as said before) and has spiderwebs with may end up in your face and the sunrays shining through the oculus should make for an interesting effect.

And your title seems to have a very distinct recognizable style. I would say adventurous.
With the art matching the environments.

All that from three pictures and your head :roll:
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

This game could be a big hit with our local Minneapolis Urban Exploration group (and other adventurous folk around the world). For game ideas, check out some of the "underground" photos (and horror stories) at this website:
http://www.actionsquad.org/underground.html

I explored most of the University of Minnesota steam tunnels back in the day... :) And it was great fun down in the the old "speakeasy" cave and tunnel system that had carved limestone stairs going up to the basements of various popular clandestine pubs back during the American prohibition era. There were even piles of decaying wooden liquor boxes way back deep inside. Sadly, the authorities sealed those caves and tunnels off when some local idiots suffocated after building a campfire deep in the caves. :( Those experiences would be GREAT in VR (except for the suffocating part)! Your image galleries bring back fond old memories, and I long to repeat it in VR...

EDIT: After viewing the photos at the above URL, I believe that those "speakeasy tunnels" I described are what they called "Cob's Caves". It would be wonderful to map all that stuff out in 3D, or at least try to model it in VR.

And here is an article about New York's forgotten tunnels (and a photo from that link, which looks right out of your game):
http://www.salon.com/2012/08/04/new_yor ... e_salpart/

These real life photos should provide fertile ideas for rich game imagery...
Last edited by geekmaster on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

It looks like its off to a great start! I can't wait to try it.
Linkage1992
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Linkage1992 »

geekmaster wrote:Those experiences would be GREAT in VR (except for the suffocating part)!
Speak for yourself, I want the FULL experience! :mrgreen:
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Looks very nice!
How are you thinking about hud and menus? Are you trying for a hud-less interface, 2d or 3d menus and so on?
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

So, no shooter? i can imagine that for most average people shooters would be too intense :o and an explorer game therefore would have great market potential, because EVERYONE wants to step into VR.
Nice level setting.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Looks great! I'm really digging the mood. While I don't know whether it's going to be part of The Gallery, one thing that VR could really do well is give you the sense of loneliness and despair. At any rate, I'm looking forward to hearing more about your game :)
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

I love how it looks! How do you guys test the 3D of it? Is it working with 3DVision?

What will make the game so unique that you will release for Oculus only?

Do you aim for the release date of the consumer Oculus?

Are you guys interested in giving me an interview for indienerds?

Ohhh .. please keep us in the loop. It looks great, I love exploring and you can be sure to have our full attention ;)
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Linkage1992 wrote:
geekmaster wrote:Those experiences would be GREAT in VR (except for the suffocating part)!
Speak for yourself, I want the FULL experience! :mrgreen:
Perhaps sinful robot could help you out with your erotic auto-asphixiation desires. :lol:

That said, some of the urban underground exploration accounts are rather exciting, with near-drowning experiences and such. In one where the team entered the tunnel system from nearly submerged drain tunnels emptying into the Mississippi river, they were travelling in the water-filled tunnel in a submerged canoe, scraping their noses on the roof of the tunnel to breathe the fraction of an inch of air at the very top. That would certainly be exciting (perhaps too exciting), but may be hard to simulate in VR.

This "gallery" game would be an EXCELLENT platform for such urban underground exploration "games".
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

I would be interested in a game like this. Exploration based games have a lot of VR potential.
Bishop51

Post by Bishop51 »

First off, thank you so much for the kind and supportive words everyone! The Gallery is very much a group effort and we're working really hard to bring a AAA quality experience to virtual reality on an indie budget ;)
2EyeGuy wrote: Seriously though, this game looks amazing. I'm not even sure it needs any plot or action. Just looking at those spiderwebs and fire in VR is going to be awesome. Those spider-webs across your path were a good design decision for VR, you know your stuff. I hope you are doing something 3D with those fires though.

There's something odd with the colouring at the edges of the objects, like the cyan and magenta are offset. Is this from printed materials?

Anyway, I can't wait to try this game.
Yeah, we dove into a number of elements to ensure that they had good volumetric mesh work happening. Spiderwebs, fire, smoke, dust and related environmental elements have convincing volume. Its one of our design goals to weed out anything that breaks immersion.

Oh that cyan/magenta offset is just a bit of chromatic aberration. We'll probably dial that back or remove it entirely depending on how much of that occurs naturally on the Rift.
mahler wrote: And your title seems to have a very distinct recognizable style. I would say adventurous.
With the art matching the environments.

All that from three pictures and your head :roll:
Indiana Jones, he's got nothing on you! ;) Glad to hear the art style and direction is hitting a sweet spot for you.
geekmaster wrote:This game could be a big hit with our local Minneapolis Urban Exploration group (and other adventurous folk around the world). For game ideas, check out some of the "underground" photos (and horror stories) at this website:
http://www.actionsquad.org/underground.html
]
We did a lot of research into the Urban Exploration scene. Having done some of that in my younger years, I know how exciting it can be. And don't worry, there are several aspects to this game which lean heavily on those kinds of experiences and the tools of the trade.
virror wrote:Looks very nice!
How are you thinking about hud and menus? Are you trying for a hud-less interface, 2d or 3d menus and so on?
Oh absolutely hud-less interface design, nothing to break immersion. Even pre-game system settings are being handled in a way that feels natural.
colocolo wrote:So, no shooter? i can imagine that for most average people shooters would be too intense :o and an explorer game therefore would have great market potential, because EVERYONE wants to step into VR.
Nice level setting.
Exactly! In our opinion, the best VR experiences won't be of the "run and gun" flavor and pacing in VR is EVERYTHING. There are so many interesting aspects to explore in the format and those design choices can be much more exciting, more compelling than shoot em ups.
GeraldT wrote:I love how it looks! How do you guys test the 3D of it? Is it working with 3DVision?
So I've worked with 3DVision before, I also have a couple decades of screens, projectors, Fresnel lenses and even an ancient HMD kicking around. The thing is, once you understand some of the challenges associated with designing in 3D, you don't really need the hardware to get things started. That being said, we're absolutely dying to get our hands on our developer kits this March. We believe we have game structure and mechanics dialed in pretty good for a solid VR experience but we need to be able to test against those concepts with the Rift.
GeraldT wrote:What will make the game so unique that you will release for Oculus only?
Because the pacing and environmental interactions are uniquely driven for a VR experience. That's not to say it can't be played on a standard monitor/mouse setup but it won't be the same experience. We're going to give the option of course (we'd be silly not to) but this is a game being designed specifically for the Rift.
GeraldT wrote:Do you aim for the release date of the consumer Oculus?
Since none of us know exactly when the consumer Oculus will be available our thinking was to get ahead of that curve a bit and offer a game for early supporters of the Rift. We're hoping that backers, enthusiasts & fellow devs will support us and help us out along the way and we plan on offering options for early testing. Then if the timing works, if the support is there, we'll be able to limp across the finish line to Steam Greenlight for what will hopefully be a growing catalog of VR games for the Oculus.
GeraldT wrote:Are you guys interested in giving me an interview for indienerds?
Sure!
GeraldT wrote:Ohhh .. please keep us in the loop. It looks great, I love exploring and you can be sure to have our full attention ;)
Oh don't worry, I love visiting MTBS3D. The "loop" starts here ;)
geekmaster wrote: That said, some of the urban underground exploration accounts are rather exciting, with near-drowning experiences and such. In one where the team entered the tunnel system from nearly submerged drain tunnels emptying into the Mississippi river, they were travelling in the water-filled tunnel in a submerged canoe, scraping their noses on the roof of the tunnel to breathe the fraction of an inch of air at the very top. That would certainly be exciting (perhaps too exciting), but may be hard to simulate in VR.

This "gallery" game would be an EXCELLENT platform for such urban underground exploration "games".
Oh how I wish I could say more ;)
Omarzuqo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Omarzuqo »

It's great to see games made exclusively for VR and not just VR compatible.

I think you should take some ideas from the Metroid Prime trilogy, it had a very strong focus on exploring, backtracking and puzzle solving, not to mention various interesting landscapes.

OFF TOPIC:
geekmaster wrote:[...]some local idiots suffocated after building a campfire deep in the caves.[...]
Natural selection at it's best.
You can also Greenlight other Rift games.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Omarzuqo wrote:... Natural selection at it's best.
For some reason our local government thinks they can thwart natural selection by taking away personal responsibility (and freedom) by sealing off all entrances to the cave system. More and more, we will only get to do "fun" things in VR simulations, as our freedom to explore the "real world" will continue to be eroded (until we end up spending all our time in VR). Before long, politicians will be pushing restrictive laws about what we are allowed to experience in VR too (in the name of "mental health"). Welcome to The Matrix. Be prepared to meet "Agent Smith" if you stray from the beaten path in VR... But then again, crawling through cracks in the VR simulation would be great fun. Welcome to the VR underground (reminiscent of the underground speakeasy venues during prohibition when bathtubs were reserved for making Gin).

Some of us will get rich supplying VR "contraband" direct from the VR "underground"...

:D
Omarzuqo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Omarzuqo »

geekmaster wrote: Some of us will get rich supplying VR "contraband" direct from the VR "underground"... :D
So, you've been reading Neuromancer, eh?
You can also Greenlight other Rift games.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Omarzuqo wrote:
geekmaster wrote: Some of us will get rich supplying VR "contraband" direct from the VR "underground"... :D
So, you've been reading Neuromancer, eh?
Actually, a more recent source. Think of Neo supplying contraband software hidden in a hollowed-out book.
:D
There is great fun to be had while reverse-engineering and modding our shared VR world (and digital economy). It will be most exciting (and perhaps rewarding) until the feds knock down your door and drag you (and your VR gear) away in the middle of the night...
:shock:
Better to stay "underground" and out of sight. Using this virtual "urban exploration" game will give us the hacker skills and the survivalist mindset to survive in the coming VR expansion over the real world around us.
8-)
This game could have enhancements to attract the growing crowd of "SHTF preppers" here in the USA.
:mrgreen:
Last edited by geekmaster on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bishop51

Post by Bishop51 »

My kind of geeks! Techno-survivalist geeks :)
SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SinSilla »

I'm also a huge fan of exploration based games and really like what you have so far. Can't wait to see more!

Since one wants to use headphones for the most immersive experience i just thought of maybe implementing (optional) microphone input?
There are some games where you can hear your character breathing, adjusted to the situation said character is involved in. I'd love to see that concept taken to the next level, since we don't want to control an avatar. Obviously you'd have to adjust the microphone input so that it matches the scenery your in, for example a muffled room filled with books and carpets or a large and wet stone cave.
If there are npc interactions it would be awesome to attract/distract them with your whistle or voice.

What do you guys think?
MaterialDefender

Post by MaterialDefender »

That looks impressive visually. Hopefully the gameplay can keep up to the graphics.

I recently played a few hours of Myst V on my DIY-Rift. Most likely not everyones cup of tea, but similarly slow paced games with visually stunning environments are perfect for the Rift. Much better than super fast action, as far as I'm concerned.
Bishop51

Post by Bishop51 »

SinSilla wrote:I'm also a huge fan of exploration based games and really like what you have so far. Can't wait to see more!

Since one wants to use headphones for the most immersive experience i just thought of maybe implementing (optional) microphone input?
There are some games where you can hear your character breathing, adjusted to the situation said character is involved in. I'd love to see that concept taken to the next level, since we don't want to control an avatar. Obviously you'd have to adjust the microphone input so that it matches the scenery your in, for example a muffled room filled with books and carpets or a large and wet stone cave.
If there are npc interactions it would be awesome to attract/distract them with your whistle or voice.

What do you guys think?
Its an interesting idea. We've been researching binaural audio as well but in both cases it comes down to how heavy of a load it puts on the engine. Having to maintain that rock-solid 60fps is key whenever pulling a new feature into the game.
MaterialDefender wrote:That looks impressive visually. Hopefully the gameplay can keep up to the graphics.

I recently played a few hours of Myst V on my DIY-Rift. Most likely not everyones cup of tea, but similarly slow paced games with visually stunning environments are perfect for the Rift. Much better than super fast action, as far as I'm concerned.
We've got some fun and interesting mechanics happening (more on that later this month), so its not all about the pretties (though we do like our pretties :) ). Myst is a HEAVY influence for us, so we're right there with you in terms of what works for this format.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

How much of this is puzzle-based, like Myst, and how much will be item-based, like Space Quest?
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

MaterialDefender wrote:That looks impressive visually. Hopefully the gameplay can keep up to the graphics.

Speaking of Myst V, how do these older, lower poly games look on your DIY rift? Is the experience jarring or far less immersive than newer titles? I'm hoping not, I'd love to reexperience some classics from the late 90s/early 2000s, especially something like Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. My only concern was their age may be a detriment to the immersiveness. I do know from having a 3ds xl a game as simple visually as Mario manages to suck me in quite a bit despite the small display.
Bishop51

Post by Bishop51 »

Mystify wrote:How much of this is puzzle-based, like Myst, and how much will be item-based, like Space Quest?
That's tricky for me to be totally transparent about right now but it brings a bit of both sensibilities to the party.
MaterialDefender

Post by MaterialDefender »

@cerulianbaloo: That's a matter of personal preferences, I would say. While testing my driver I played DX9 ports of some really old stuff and I liked it. I even have a custom build of D2X to play Descent, lowest possible polycount and still much fun. My take on this is: if you liked a game on a monitor, you will love it on the Rift, regardless of its age. But your mileage may vary of course.

@Bishop: That sounds nearly too good to be true. I'm stoked.
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

@Material that's wonderful to hear. I'd expect even something like Minecraft would be amazing with the Rift. Especially when looking up at some of the mega structures built. Can't wait for your drivers!
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

Bishop51 wrote:
Mystify wrote:How much of this is puzzle-based, like Myst, and how much will be item-based, like Space Quest?
That's tricky for me to be totally transparent about right now but it brings a bit of both sensibilities to the party.
Thats cool. I enjoy both styles.
rhinosix
Cross Eyed!

Post by rhinosix »

This looks to be exactly the kind of game I want to play.

I love story-based atmospheric solitary exploration/ adventure/ puzzle games. And it seems like you have good design philosophies, building this for VR from the ground up.

I also like the Oculus reference, and your company logo too! Can't wait to see what kind of gameplay mechanics you've come up with.
Bishop51

Post by Bishop51 »

Hi guys! We thought you'd like to see a little teaser showing an "environmental still" from one of our game environments. There's a lot of care and attention going into these environments and you can only really get a sense of that from just sort of taking a minute to soak things in ;) We can't wait to just hang out in some of these places! We'll have more as the month progresses!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaMrswScN_w[/youtube]
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Unity engine has come a long way. Game looks fantastic, hope it's not too puzzle heavy though. I always get frustrated ;) . Any paranormal phenomenon in the game?
RABID
Cross Eyed!

Post by RABID »

defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

Yea looks great so far!
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

Wow that looks a lot better in motion than I expected. Out of curiosity Denny what spec computer is your team thinking would be ideal for running this on a Rift?

Love the swaying cobwebs btw, keep up the good work!
DaveNagy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveNagy »

Neat. I didn't even notice the cobwebs until I watched the moving version.

One suggestion? Needs more soot! (Unless those are supernatural flames. In which case, carry on.) ;)
Bishop51

Post by Bishop51 »

DaveNagy wrote:Neat. I didn't even notice the cobwebs until I watched the moving version.

One suggestion? Needs more soot! (Unless those are supernatural flames. In which case, carry on.) ;)
Ahh but the flame bowls are methane based. That will make sense later ;) I should probably point out however that we're still using some placeholder textures here and there. We'll brush things up as we get past some of the larger benchmarks.
cerulianbaloo wrote:Wow that looks a lot better in motion than I expected. Out of curiosity Denny what spec computer is your team thinking would be ideal for running this on a Rift?

Love the swaying cobwebs btw, keep up the good work!
I have to defer that one to our lead programmer Christopher Roe. I mean generally because you're pumping out 60fps @ 640×800 per eye in stereo, there's still some good overhead to play with at this level of fidelity. Mid-level systems would have no problem at all with what we've been doing so far. I know Chris wants it optimized for some fairly lightweight systems as well but its just too early to recommend anything definitively right now I think.
Last edited by Bishop51 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”