Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

MaterialDefender
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by MaterialDefender »

@moomin: I'd like to heavily second what Mart said. Taking the risk of being misunderstood is far better than staying quiet. You're certainly not alone with this problem.

I know perfectly what you're talking about, I'm German. We often tend to be a little bit more direct in comparison to Americans (or most other people, to be honest) and to others that may sound a little bit rude or arrogant from time to time, although it's not meant to be. An obviously pretty wise man once said: "the history of human communication is a history of misunderstandings".

The only way of learning how to deal with this is practicing, not staying quiet. :)
drifter

Post by drifter »

moomin wrote:This is unnaturally quiet. Doesn't look like factory working hard to deliver our goodies..
They just asked to the children to go outside, just the time to take the photos.

:twisted:
drifter

Post by drifter »

STRZ wrote:The press coverage after CES wasn't big for the Rift here in germany, i think because no journalist from here tried it actually.
At last one german tried it :)
backstaia
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by backstaia »

drifter wrote:
STRZ wrote:The press coverage after CES wasn't big for the Rift here in germany, i think because no journalist from here tried it actually.
At last one german tried it :)
this my friend, is a fellow austrian, a subtle difference :D no offence
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

pierreye wrote:
WiredEarp wrote:oooh pierreye, that Lumagen thing looks great. How much is that?
You can get it from
http://www.curtpalme.com/Radiance.shtm

Sometime it's on sale at around USD 1.3k. Might be expensive if you use it for HMD only but valuable for TV and projector for greyscale and CMS tuning.
Curt's a great guy. Went to his house once. There were a considerable number of projectors about.....

(I now have to go through 214 pages. Ouch.)
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

MSat wrote:
2EyeGuy wrote:
German wrote:120 hertz = 120 times per second = 120 frames per second. 50 frames per second doesn't evenly divide into 120 or 60. Both would have to re-draw(not insert) frames. The only difference is the amount of gimmicks they can cram into 120hz displays to handle the 70 frames of missing content.
You are wrong. You are confusing TVs with monitors. TVs make all sorts of lies and gimmicks about frame rate. A TV that claims to do hundreds of Hz actually only does 50Hz or 60Hz with gimmicks and can't handle any refresh rate above 60Hz.

But monitors do 120Hz without any gimmicks. The advantages of using a 120Hz display even when the game is running at 50fps are faster pixel switching time, lower latency between when a frame is rendered and when it starts being sent to the display, and lower latency between when a frame starts being sent to the display and when a frame finishes being sent to the display. So it's going to have lower latency for all parts of the pipeline.
Technically, some LCD panels in TVs do have refresh rates of 120 or 240hz, regardless of whether they can actually accept any source signals at that rate. Yes, creating virtual frames using interpolation is gimmicky, but it doesn't change the fact that the panels themselves operate at that rate.

Pixel switching time just indicates how long it takes between the time that the panel driver chip sends the signal to the pixel, and the pixel fully responds - the refresh rate doesn't necessarily play a role in that. Of course, a higher refresh rate monitor would need faster switching time than a slower monitor, but that doesn't mean a monitor with a lower refresh rate can't have just as fast switching times. But you are right about lower latency redraws of the screen at faster refreshes.
Always pay close attention to the definition of 'on' and 'off' when looking at LCD panels. Watch for 10%-90% vs 20%-80% as potential definitions.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

vtms wrote:I'm excited about Oculus Rift precisely because I'm not a gamer. I just want to feel like I'm somewhere else, experience something new, relax. I don't want to be shooting monsters.
You should look at this...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... ata-review

Mainly exploration on a sub tropical island...
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

JohnCarmack wrote:
The Rift V1 is not going to be a consumer HMD, but it is going to be a godsend for interested hackers.

John Carmack
Yes. The hackers from the wayback machine.
zino
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zino »

KBK wrote:
JohnCarmack wrote:
The Rift V1 is not going to be a consumer HMD, but it is going to be a godsend for interested hackers.

John Carmack
What, why do the guys from Internet Archive care about this?
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Unclebob wrote:
vtms wrote:I'm excited about Oculus Rift precisely because I'm not a gamer. I just want to feel like I'm somewhere else, experience something new, relax. I don't want to be shooting monsters.

This looks awesome for the Rift, need to test the game out when i get home : D
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

virror wrote:
Unclebob wrote:

This looks awesome for the Rift, need to test the game out when i get home : D
Virror this is one of my favorite indie games.

Would be outstanding on the rift...

http://www.againstthewallgame.com/play/webplayer/

Its Unity based and can be played on a mac pc or web browser.

Vertigo is the order of the day. But no monsters to kill and a great puzzler.

Worth having a go as its free at the moment.

Say hi to the developer though,

UB
UB

virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

That was awesome : D
Took a while to reach the top of the level though (end of the long elevator thing) : )
SiggiG
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SiggiG »

+1 on that wall game :)
CCP Games, EVR dev.
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

virror wrote:That was awesome : D
Took a while to reach the top of the level though (end of the long elevator thing) : )
Be even better with a Oculus Rift on.

Imagine the vertigo and stomach fear as one of the blocks slides you off the ledge.

UB
UB

KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

zino wrote:
KBK wrote:
JohnCarmack wrote:

John Carmack
What, why do the guys from Internet Archive care about this?
It gets the name from this:

And the older guys, would be from 'the wayback machine', As dey wuz hackin' in the wayback.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

cerulianbaloo wrote:Yeah devs have to worry about a lot less overhead when developing for consoles, fine tuning performance for a streamlined hardware setup makes it a lot nicer on those systems' hardware. I remember playing the demo for red facton guerilla on 360 and of course it ran flawlessly, later played on pc with much better specs and it ran like garbage. Granted there were some extra bells and whistles the pc version had over the console one, but it still seemed like such a huge gap in performance.

I doubt very much Microsoft will consider an HMD unless the rift sells like gangbusters. What with their kinect 2.0 and that projection mapping thing that surrounds your room with the game world, it seems like they're more interested in AR than VR.
Even though it is late in the development cycle for such demands to be introduced, it is still possible to tweak the potentials for the console to be able to use such gear as an HMD, at least in some fashion. That basically the bottleneck aspects can be looked at, and then potential 'fixes' and their efficacy....can be analyzed.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

KBK wrote:... And the older guys, would be from 'the wayback machine', As dey wuz hackin' in the wayback.
Yes... Back in the early 60's, we got "online access" by using a special short piece of paper tape to feed into the ASR-33 teletype paper tape reader, whenever it asked for a login password. We had to go find the instructor and SIGN OUT the password tape, then return it immediately. This was inconvenient. Some of us learned to read ASCII directly from the punched paper tape hole patterns. Then we did not need to sign out anything. Some might consider reading punched paper tapes as "leet hacker skillz"...
:lol:

BTW, our "online access" for an awfully long period of years was at the blazing speed of 110 baud (10 bytes per second) using a modem with acoustic telephone coupler. My current 20 megabaud Internet access is "only" 200,000 times faster than that. It no longer takes a matter of HOURS to download low resolution pictures of "nekkid chicks".
:shock:

In fact, there were hackers long before there were computers. Even before telephone hacking (phone phreaking), there were mechanical hackers who used complex contrivances of cogs and gears to do amazingly magical things. Hacking even predates the "wayback machine".
:D
drifter

Post by drifter »

Unclebob wrote:
vtms wrote:I just want to feel like I'm somewhere else, experience something new, relax.
Hmmm, great game for VR but i won't call that "relaxing" ;)
Owen
Cross Eyed!

Post by Owen »

Miasmata is an amazing experience, with the best exploration mechanics I have ever seen. The motion and body awareness is also pretty realistic, to the point where you will fall and hurt yourself if you try to run full speed on steep terrain. Though when forced to deal with the creature it kind of breaks down (it teleports and psychically homes in on you when you enter certain areas so you cant avoid it, and clubs and knives literally do nothing so you can't fight it)

If you play with 3D vision and the helix mod fixes it really feels like the closest thing to VR without an HMD. I hope they consider adding support for the Rift, it feels exactly like the kind of new genre the Rift is meant for. It has a great combination of unhurried surveying with moments of sheer panic when you hear that cat, or even when you accidentally slip off a ledge. And getting lost really feels like getting lost.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

I love how they made it hud-less, really adds to the immersion as well : )
SiggiG
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SiggiG »

While on the subject of "games that would be great with the Oculus".. how about this? :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2XkTIYhQC8[/youtube]
CCP Games, EVR dev.
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

SiggiG wrote:While on the subject of "games that would be great with the Oculus".. how about this? :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2XkTIYhQC8[/youtube]
With motion tracked gloves - yes. Without it - meh. Just another game.
This member owns things.
SiggiG
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SiggiG »

Randomoneh wrote:With motion tracked gloves - yes. Without it - meh. Just another game.
Yep indeed :)
CCP Games, EVR dev.
Sadhu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sadhu »

I wish Datura wasn't PS3 exclusive. This would be perfect match for the Rift.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpqzF2hhWH4[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBQKH1nrbbQ[/youtube]

"virtual reality setup":
http://vimeo.com/41350330
niall
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by niall »

Exactly!
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

me wants legal and cheap digital trips, alternate realities
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGsnm2nOnso[/youtube]

(though I probably won't need physx to paint my room with colored particles)
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

:woot

Must have on Rift.
It looks very Portal inspired. I like.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

I actually bought Antichamber yesterday immediately after seeing 30 seconds (literally) of TotalBiscuit's video from PAX 2012. The look it has and how the developer started with "I'm not going to say anything because this is a game where first impressions matter" together cemented a buying decision for me, probably because of my fascination with illusions. I played it for a few hours, got stuck a number of times but have to say it is definitely a unique experience and not like any run-of-the-mill puzzle game :P Luckily my mind is used to think in weird ways, hahaha.

And I have to say I was quite immersed just playing on my monitor in the middle of the night, even with it having a quite surreal artstyle. I look forward to trying games with as abstract as this in the Rift, imagining it could feel like being in some weird house at an amusement park :P Uhoh, now my mind is exploding again. Imagining games where you are tiny battling insects, where you can fly around at will, walking around on the bottom of the sea... stop, mind!
greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Post by greenknight »

donkaradiablo wrote:me wants legal and cheap digital trips, alternate realities

I just emailed Alexander Bruce for that game through their website asking about rift support and here is the reply:

"I have had several people tell me that my game would be killer on the Oculus. I don't have a kit yet, but if you feel like bugging him to get in touch, feel free. I'm busy supporting the launch just at the moment. :)"

So, if palmer reads this, here is yet another interested developer.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

donkaradiablo wrote:me wants legal and cheap digital trips, alternate realities

:shock:
alpha
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alpha »

Kickstarter Update!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152 ... sts/398230

Wow, I'm not done reading all but this looks like the most information since a long time! Thanks I was waiting for this.
rcblob
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rcblob »

alpha wrote:Kickstarter Update!

Wow, I'm not done reading all but this looks like the most information since a long time! Thanks I was waiting for this.

Looks like the update caused a mini DDoS attack :D
alpha
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alpha »

rcblob wrote:
alpha wrote:Kickstarter Update!

Looks like the update caused a mini DDoS attack :D
Yes, looks like it took https://www.oculusvr.com/ down... no more pictures.
danielbln
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by danielbln »

I'd recommend storing the images on S3 next time. :P
Guygasm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Guygasm »

I know the move away from 100% overlap with the new 7" has been discussed. However, in the below photo, the lens center does not appear to be vertically centered in the screen. It probably increases the "grounded" feeling Palmer has mentioned in the past and it may avoid potential brow obstruction. Am I being thrown off by the perspective of the photo or does anyone else agree?

virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

yeah, looks like there is a small angle there...
Btw, this means no IPD adjustment? Well, cant get it all : p
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

i noticed that ages ago. yeah it's better to see more of the ground than the ceiling or the sky most of the time.
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

LCD panels generally do not have the same bezel size all around:

Guygasm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Guygasm »

Dycus wrote:LCD panels generally do not have the same bezel size all around:
Is that confirmation that it is vertically centered? ...or clever misdirection. :D
Last edited by Guygasm on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeFesta
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MikeFesta »

Great update guys! This kind of behind the scenes info is awesome and just what kickstarter projects should be all about.

I noticed that you made 40 units, any chance that you'll be sending those out early to pre-kickstarter backers? :shock:
SubSpaceVR.com - Virtual Reality Arcades

Return to “Oculus VR”