Samsung 42inch 3d-Plasma on sale for $899 at Fry's

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Samsung 42inch 3d-Plasma on sale for $899 at Fry's

Post by chrisdfw »

Fry's Electronics advertised the Samsung pn42a450 3d Plasma on sale for $899 in today's paper here in Dallas TX.

The price at Best Buy is still $1170 so this is a pretty good deal.

The 50 inch is on sale for $1399 as well.
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Re: Samsung 42inch 3d-Plasma on sale for $899 at Fry's

Post by flexy »

chrisdfw wrote:Fry's Electronics advertised the Samsung pn42a450 3d Plasma on sale for $899 in today's paper here in Dallas TX.

The price at Best Buy is still $1170 so this is a pretty good deal.

The 50 inch is on sale for $1399 as well.
the EU equivalent (PS50A476) is EU 1399, just as a sidenote. I am getting one.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

forgive my ignorance but what's the point? there aren't that many 3d movies out there and those that are can be watched with shutterglasses+CRT. And in the games category you are limited to the nvidia drivers. So just out of curiosity why is everyone buying these? is there some hidden secret I'm unaware of?
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

you are wrong.

The NV drivers, at least the ones for Vista do NOT (i think) support those displays yet. i WISH they would. Why btw. do you say "are limited" to the NV drivers?

For the Samsung DLPs you usually use the "Tridef" drivers, which, sadly, are sold on a "per game" base.. (4.99/game license)...but they do have working drivers for current games, just as an example cryis, Wow, BF2, Cod etc..etc... Under XP, there are hacks to get older Nvidia drivers working with those.

Also..from reading the manual to the european 50" plasma...it seems those 3d HDTV supports three different modi of 3D. You can cycle thru "checkerboard 3d" (which is the standard DLP 3D) but it also uses vertical interleaved and horizontal interleaved.

Besides, yes they use shutters, but 60hz/eye...so no interlace flickern anymore since the display will work w/ 120hz.

I cant follow your "what's the point" *at all*. 50" HDTV 3D-Gaming, and a handful of 3D-movies *in addition*? What's your point? I think this is a kicka$$ 3D gaming setup. The "quality" of the available 3D movies is another subject :)
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

hmm ok but 10-15 supported tridef games + ~20 3d movies? is it really worth all that cash?
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

It's still enjoyable to use with a PC, XBOX360 or a PS3 even if you can't get stereo working because of lack of compatibility.
It's also a good 2D HDTV. Buy a Blu-ray player and Blu-ray movies and you're going to have a nice system to watch movies.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

ok I c. also have you tried the eDimensional drivers?
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

yuriythebest1 wrote:ok I c. also have you tried the eDimensional drivers?
i dont think edimensional supports this modes. I was just thru a test of this '/!&&!%%! because i just got ED glasses in the mail.

The point is..."basically" the support is already built in NV drivers, and with hacks and under XP there is certainly a way to get this working, for ALL 3D games. But i still hope that NV will actually "open up" their current drivers for generic support of those DLPs.
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

Well, the 8800GTS/GTX/Ultra work on XP with the 171.23 driver just fine for Shutterglasses.

Some people might be looking for a TV, they might use their PC as a HD DVR, they might like to compute on the screen (see sharky's pictures in the gallery, his PC uses a Sharp Aquos, that thing is fricking huge!!)

iZ3D will be looking into a Shutter solution (I don't know the status of that, it might not be feasible)

And an 8800 card is no slouch when it comes to gaming. 42" isn't bad, and neither is "120hz", or 60hz per eye, especially if it lets you sit back away from the screen to play it.

Most PC monitors are too high resolution to be enjoyable gaming at 24" or above, the extra resolution isn't all that important and frankly the video cards just don't exist to play at high-quality levels on some newer games.

I would be looking into this seriously if I was in a position too, as I need a TV, and a bigger PC monitor, and would like to try shutter glasses @60hz.

(frankly if it is a high quality picture and 1080p capable it is a good price just as a TV, all the rest of this is a bonus, and the 3D is just a good thing all around.)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well, a 42" HDTV for $899 is still an awesome deal even *without* the added bonus of 3d. In 3d, even better.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”