Tridef not seeing Nividia card on laptop running optimus

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
jgentry30
One Eyed Hopeful

Tridef not seeing Nividia card on laptop running optimus

Post by jgentry30 »

Hey everyone,

So I bought a nice new Samsung 3D LED TV recently and wanted to try and get some 3D gaming going on it. I hooked up my 702X laptop to it, thinking even though the screen on it isn't 3D, the 555m graphics card is 3D ready. I updated the drivers, turned on stereoscopic 3D in the control panel, set the display to only output to the 3D TV, and started tinkering with Nividia's offerings. I've played some youtube videos and all seems to work fine. Gaming, not so much.

So I decided to try Tridef after Nvidia's support team said 3dTV Play didn't support my TV, and I'm not having much luck with it either. The only graphics adapter that Tridef is showing in the control panel is the Intel integrated card. I've tried setting Tridef to run with the 555m in the nvidia control panel, but it still isn't showing up as an option to select. And when I start up a game, things are not pretty. It looks like there's two images on the screen, and manually putting the TV in 3D mode doesn't resolve it. The laptop does use optimus graphic switching, and I've even tried setting it to always use the NVidia card for everything with no success.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, I7 processor and the TV is a 55-inch Samsung ES7500.

Anyone have any ideas? I searched through the forums but didn't see anything that looked like it was related to my issues....
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Tridef not seeing Nividia card on laptop running optimus

Post by Neil »

On your computer, do you really have to select which GPU is powering the machine? Shouldn't it always default to the Nvidia integrated graphics card for maximum performance?

As you are connecting to a 3D television through HDMI, you have a few options.

I. For DirectX 9 games (not 10 or 11), there is a chance that you can get 1280X720 resolution to work with HDMI by choices 120Hz DirectX as your output option in the DDD drivers. This has a very limited chance of working, but try it.

II. Your best bet is to run Tridef in side by side mode (choose this under Standard Display Types), and then set your TV to accept side by side mode manually. You should be able to play games at 1920X1080 in this mode.

Let me know if this works.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I have the same GPU on my laptop. It sucks for 3d. Well it's not the card as much as Optimus. Basically the way it works the HDMI output can only use the integrated Intel GPU and NOT the Nvidia card. Really stupid design. Not sure there is a solution for this, at least with my laptop (Lenovo y570).
jgentry30
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jgentry30 »

So it turns out I actually had two problems.

Neil, you were dead on with the side by side mode... I was selecting Samsung as the display device since it's a Samsung TV. I set it to standard side by side mode but it went from a garbled mess to looking like a regular picture.

So then I went into the Nvidia settings and turned off the steroscopic 3D setting and bam, it started working.

Cyber, I guess my HDMI goes directly into the 555m, because it ran fine on 720 resolution and looked great. I had read something about some laptops being setup the way you described, and was worried that was going to be the case. But it appears I dodged that bullet.

Thanks for the help
Neil

Post by Neil »

We aim to please. Glad I could help!

Regards,
Neil
mahr
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mahr »

jgentry30 wrote:Hey everyone,

So I bought a nice new Samsung 3D LED TV recently and wanted to try and get some 3D gaming going on it. I hooked up my 702X laptop to it, thinking even though the screen on it isn't 3D, the 555m graphics card is 3D ready. I updated the drivers, turned on stereoscopic 3D in the control panel, set the display to only output to the 3D TV, and started tinkering with Nividia's offerings. I've played some youtube videos and all seems to work fine. Gaming, not so much.

So I decided to try Tridef after Nvidia's support team said 3dTV Play didn't support my TV, and I'm not having much luck with it either. The only graphics adapter that Tridef is showing in the control panel is the Intel integrated card. I've tried setting Tridef to run with the 555m in the nvidia control panel, but it still isn't showing up as an option to select. And when I start up a game, things are not pretty. It looks like there's two images on the screen, and manually putting the TV in 3D mode doesn't resolve it. The laptop does use optimus graphic switching, and I've even tried setting it to always use the NVidia card for everything with no success.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, I7 processor and the TV is a 55-inch Samsung ES7500.

Anyone have any ideas? I searched through the forums but didn't see anything that looked like it was related to my issues....
hello,

on my laptop I have the same thing. But when I ran a game its actually using the Nvidia, even though Trdef ignition only displays Intel.
So try playing and see. You can tell from the performance(remmber 3d can suck 50%. So you may think its not using the nvidia.
What i have is:
- the original Intel vga driver that came with my laptop(acer 3830tg).(Intel updates the drivers automatically with windows update. ). Intel 8.15.10.2287(its on acer web)
- tridef v 5.3 full
- nvidia driver 310.61 beta
- I put use "high performance nvidia". in nvidia control panel.
- Asus VG23ah passive display monitor.
- windows 7 64 home premium.
playing battlefield 3(crazy in 3d). Crysis 2(tridef better than its own 3d engine). Deus ex HR(also crazy). Bioshock. Crysis(very slow). Batman AC(beautifull but slow, and needs some tweeking.)
Hope this works for you too.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”