my first 3d setup - help a noob out

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
AussieMike
Two Eyed Hopeful

my first 3d setup - help a noob out

Post by AussieMike »

Hi everyone,

I've just bought my first 3d setup, and it's fantastic! So far i've been playing bf3 and black ops 2, both of which are great in 3d. I find that seeing in 3d makes me play better and focus better on where the enemy is in 3d space.

I do notice ghosting though - I'm hoping someone can help me out, are there some settings I should be modifying to get rid of the ghosting? The only setting I play with is the depth adjuster on the emitter. I really like setting it to maximum depth as it makes me feel like i'm really there, but in black ops 2 when I look down the iron sights/scope I find that it's hard to aim since I get 2 X's on either side of the centre, rather than one X to aim with. Is this just how 3d works, or is it possible to have max depth and still be able to aim down the gun?

If there's some kind of tutorial on how to setup 3d monitors and/or 3d vision 2 could you please point me in the right direction.

My setup is:
Asus VG278HE
Nvidia 3d vision 2
GTX 660

Cheers,
Mike
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: my first 3d setup - help a noob out

Post by cybereality »

Hey man! Glad you are happy with your new setup.

There are some ways to reduce ghosting, but there is no magic bullet.

One thing to try is turning down the contrast on the monitor (even to zero). That might help with high contrast ghosting (white on black, etc.).

You can also try setting depth to a lower level. I usually set the depth around 40-50%, and then adjust convergence to get a nice eye-popping effect. Setting depth to 100% does not actually make things more 3D, it sort of adjusts the relative scale of the scene. Bumping up the convergence will actually make the scene more 3D. You have to enable the convergence in the Nvidia options under 'stereoscopic->advanced hotkeys'. Then in the game hold down F6 until things look good. You won't see any text on the screen, but its working. If you adjust things correctly you will reduce the ghosting and get a better looking 3D experience.
AussieMike
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by AussieMike »

Thanks for your advice cybereality. I didn't know about "convergence". I tried it on BF3 last night but it didn't seem to work, but I read somewhere that some games lock convergence. Same thing for black ops 2, but i think there's a way to unlock it. I also tried lowering contrast, which did reduce some of the ghosting but not all of it. Still, if a little bit of ghosting is there i don't mind too much, but it would be nice to get rid of it all together :)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Some games, like BF3, lock out the convergence. Most games are fine, though.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”