Benq w710st ( NOT RECCOMMENDED ) and cheap 3dvision clone :)

Share your experiences and learn about big-screen 3D gaming.
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Benq w710st ( NOT RECCOMMENDED ) and cheap 3dvision clone :)

Post by butmunch »

Hi,
Just come home with a Benq w710st 3dvision pj
Allso using a cheap £30 3dvision clone and glasses, great combo with zero xtalk, and i mean zero xtalk, i'm blown away by 2 things.

Zero xtalk and Zero blur while gaming 2d or 3d gaming.

Blur due to pixel response times has been the bane of my life for the last few month, that's now out the window and i'm extremely happy.
Sure at 720p you can see a big drop is res from lets say a 55" 1080p lcd but whats res when you can trump your games with style, my eyes have never enjoyed a 3d image as much as the last few hours, really really good fun and cheap as chips.

I went with the benq purely for warrenty reasons, 1 year bulb or 2000 hours, 2 years warrenty, compare that to the optoma gt750 and it is a win for me.
I do'nt need hdmi 1.4 as my pc can do everything that i need for 3d.

So, no more blur in my games wether in 2d or 3d !
Allthough in 2d there is blur but if 3dvision is enabled on the pj and 3dvision off on the pc it eliminates all 2d blur/ghosting, FANTASTIC !

Not really bothered about the image ect, it looks ok to me and as it is so cheap i cannot grumble, 3d gaming is fantastic and thats all i need to keep me happy.

Solidly recommend the w710st

Edit.

Smooth video project at 120fps is so smooth, i keep getting better displays with some good interpolation but with a true 120hz display svp does some serious damage brilliant!
3dvision needs tobe activated in benq control panel to allow for true 120hz for this to work as usual for anything 120hz!

Edit

Now had this setup for a few days.
It's still awsome for 3d gaming, borderlands is so much fun.

Edit.

The w710st has a brighter image on the left hand side and a duller image on the right hand side, i thought after a few hjundrd hours this may dissappear but it has'nt.
On second rma they state they cant fix it as all w710st has this to some extenet or another, as all w710st has this issue i can no longer reccomend it.
I'm just fighting for a refund now and it does'nt look good, looks like i'm off to consumer action groups to find out what my next step is.
Last edited by butmunch on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samsung ps51e6500, Acer h5360bd + 80" fixed screen
Sli Gigabyte gtx670 Windforce x3
Intel 3770k Oc'd + Noctua Nh-D14
Asus Sabertooth Z77
8gb 2133mhz Crucial Smart Tracers Oc'd
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX
Demciflex full Magnetic Filter Set

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
Coolermaster Sirus 5.1 Headset
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Benq w710st and cheap 3dvision clone :)

Post by cybereality »

Cool.
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

cybereality wrote:Cool.
Yeah it really is.
The screen i got was just a standard fixed screen with 1.0 gain and it's not all that bad in 3d, nothing that alittle settings can't make brighter :)
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
sunvsmoon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sunvsmoon »

I'm seriously thinking about buying a benq w710st or a Optoma GT750. I will be using it with my pc for pretty much everything 80% of the time and 20% for playing on my ps3. I dont think the GT750 is compatible with nvidia vision straight out of the box though so still unsure what to do as this will be my first step into projectors and 3d.

Is there any noticeble lag on the w710st whilst playing pc games and is the picture still really bright when gaming in 3D? (i dont think either projector supports nvidia vision 2 light boost does it?)

oops, also forgot to ask what a comfortable viewing distance would be from a 90" screen? (my bedroom is tiny)
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

sunvsmoon wrote:oops, also forgot to ask what a comfortable viewing distance would be from a 90" screen? (my bedroom is tiny)
There is no definitive answer for this, it's a matter of taste and practicality. But you can find more information about the subject here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HD ... g_distance

Also from : http://myhometheater.homestead.com/view ... lator.html
For a 90" 16:9 screen :
- Maximum recommended viewing distance : 33.9 feet ;
- Maximum recommended SMPTE viewing distance (30 degree viewing angle) : 12.2 feet ;
- Maximum THX viewing distance (26 degree viewing angle) : 14.2 feet ;
- Recommended THX viewing distance (36 degree viewing angle) : 10.1 feet ;
- Maximum Viewing Distance for HDTV (Fully resolved 1080i; 1920 x 1080) : 11.8 feet.

With my 100" diagonal I sit at around 13 feet from the screen.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I have the GT750, its a really nice kit. Its well supported on pretty much every platform. I'm using with an AMD card, but it also should work with Nvidia 3DTV Play. In addition, it supports side-by-side so you can view YouTube3D or other SBS video sources. Of course it is HDMI 1.4a so will work with PS3 and Blu-Ray players. Really doesn't get much better than this in terms of support. Although its "only" 720P the image looks crisp and clear, I have no complaints about the picture quality. And since its a short-throw projector you can get a huge image in a small space. And the 3D looks great, no ghosting. Really awesome product.
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

Hi sunvsmoon.

I'm loving the benq, best thing ive ever brought, it's fantastic, bright enough in 3d i do'nt see a issue long as its night time ;)
There's a few reasons i brought the 710 over the 750.

1 ) I allready had the 3dvision clone kit so did'nt need to purchase glasses which kept the price low.

2) Warrenty is much better with the benq.

3) i wanted to use 3dvision and not 3dtvplay, only reason for this was i was fed up with the added input lag in 3d with 3dtv's, did'nt want to chance my new 3d pj had input lag in 3d ! but this was just something i thought of and have no proof or evidence of the issue passing over to dlp pj's ;)

I sort of wish i had the Optoma now but only because it plays sbs ect and i could of used " smooth video project " to interoplated my 3d films, as it is im on 3d blurays with no interpolation, 3d films look the bees knees still though. It's still not enough though to sway me to the optoma, i think there was around £150 difference between the 2 for me cos i allready had glasses.

Stil, i brought another 2 pairs of real 3dvision glasses ;)
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
sunvsmoon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sunvsmoon »

Thanks for all the helpful comments,

I ordered the benq projector and Nvidia 3D vision kit from Amazon will be here tomorrow. I might order the Optoma 750 and try them out side by side to see which I like best as I'm a complete newbie when it comes to projectors and 3D. The only time I have seen anything in 3d was when we went to see Avatar at the cinema :)

Is it true I would need the RF emitter from the Nvidia 3D vision kit + a pair of optoma rf glasses if I wanted to use Nvidia 3DTV play on my PC with the Optoma 750?

The Optoma sounds like it covers more bases for 3D but the big thing for me is ease of use and good compatibility for playing PC games in 3D... if only the 750 was Nvidia 3D ready like the older Optoma 720 :(

again, thanks for the help, it's much appreciated :)
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

sunvsmoon wrote:Thanks for all the helpful comments,

I ordered the benq projector and Nvidia 3D vision kit from Amazon will be here tomorrow. I might order the Optoma 750 and try them out side by side to see which I like best as I'm a complete newbie when it comes to projectors and 3D. The only time I have seen anything in 3d was when we went to see Avatar at the cinema :)

Is it true I would need the RF emitter from the Nvidia 3D vision kit + a pair of optoma rf glasses if I wanted to use Nvidia 3DTV play on my PC with the Optoma 750?

The Optoma sounds like it covers more bases for 3D but the big thing for me is ease of use and good compatibility for playing PC games in 3D... if only the 750 was Nvidia 3D ready like the older Optoma 720 :(

again, thanks for the help, it's much appreciated :)

I think you'd need the 3dvision emmiter to activate 3dtvplay for free and then use dlp or the optoma rf kit and glasses to view 3dtvplay.

If you want to watch any sbs or over/under 3d films then stereoscopic player will convert the 3d into 120hz using 3dvision output.

The best thing about the 750 is that you can use it for 3d with consoles or 3d bluray players ect where as the w710st can only be 3d powered from a pc, saves a few pounds getting the 710 but we are locked into pc 3d only, i'm cool with that.

We have been playing Race 07 witha new Gt Omega race cockpit i got lately, that and the big 80" 3d image is mind blowing.
It really is the best way to 3d i believe now, 3 years of 3dtv's and loads of money spent, all i needed to buy back then was the 720 or the acer, big, 720p and 3dvision is amazing, loss of res means nothing when image looks great!
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The GT750 is Nvidia compatible, see here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play- ... ments.html

It is listed under Nvidia 3DTV Play, which is essentially the same driver but for HDMI devices. Its just that it doesn't work with Nvidia glasses, you need to use DLP-Link glasses, which are honestly better IMO anyway.
sunvsmoon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sunvsmoon »

cybereality wrote:The GT750 is Nvidia compatible, see here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play- ... ments.html

It is listed under Nvidia 3DTV Play, which is essentially the same driver but for HDMI devices. Its just that it doesn't work with Nvidia glasses, you need to use DLP-Link glasses, which are honestly better IMO anyway.

Which glasses would you recommend?

I received the benq PJ on Monday, watching movies on it is amazing and I'm blown away with the 3d effect in games. I cant see any ghosting or flickering either which is great. The only downsides to it is the picture isnt very sharp reading text so ive moved it closer to the wall so I'm getting a 50" screen and I'm having a hard time finding the perfect placement for the projector without it getting in the way. I've had to move my desk away from the wall so its in the middle of the room and place the projector in front of it... it looks a little messy but it works. Also it's annoying having to enable the 3D setting in the projector menu all the time, it doesnt save it for some reason, does the GT750 have the same problem?

I also ordered a Asus VG278HE to try out as it seems more practical for my needs but the ghosting is bothering me alot, I've tried lowering the contrast to 55 but then it's too dark in the games i play after seeing what the projector can do. It's a great monitor for sure and I'm definately sold on 3D so I'm keeping the Nvidia 3D vision glasses kit (although they are little uncomfortable as I wear glasses as well) but unsure on what to do about the screen... I might order the GT750 to try out if it saves the 3d settings in the menu and it's a little sharper. Hmm I'm unsure what to do :(

Any ideas would be great

Oh and sorry for hijacking your thread butmunch!
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

I allso find it alittle annoying that i have to kep activating 3d vision on the pj to get 120hz for 2d or 3d.

3dblurays look stunning do'nt you think, zero xtalk, wonderfull to watch.

And i allso find the text tobe alittle flaky due to 720p but i did'nt buy the pj to browse google ect, it's more than enough for what it is.

I noticed aswell after having issues with blurryng due to the focus, top would be slightly out of focus. I had the pj at an angle to fit my screen, i removed the angle and highered the pj , this gave me a much more consistent focus all over.

I'd like a 1080p 3d pj now but then i'd still have to game at 720p, may aswell keep what i have and get used to 720p only, it still looks fantastic .;)
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@sunvsmoon: The GT750 will go into 3D mode automatically when using HDMI 1.4a mode (frame-packing) for example with a 3D Blu-Ray or a game. If you want to do SBS then you have to press a button on the remote but it is a specific 3D button, you don't have to search through a menu. In terms of glasses, I am using generic ones from China but they seem to work nice. Just search on ebay, there are a number of options (can't seem to find the ones I like anymore, though).
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

Really happy with my 3d gaming now, big screen is so much fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Nice.
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

After a few weeks of only gaming on the pj i went back to have a go at my 47et5b passive 3dtv.
Gobsmacked!
I found the 3d gaming experience tobe quite poor, i was noticing the black horizontal lines that each eyes see's every other line aswell as the massive Aliasing effect that passive has, it never really bothered me going from a active tv to a passive but from the pj to the passive it's huge in my eyes.

I was allso seeing alot of blur/ghosting/trailing on moving objects, the pj does'nt have this at 120hz or in 3d and gives a smooth blur free image allthough it does have it at 60hz!

I ended up just playing the games in 2d at 1080p that night, was a very nice experience after playing 720p 3d for a few weeks, loads of detail but i still had to deal with the blur that the lcd had, i won't be gaming on a passive or active 3d for a long long time, maybe never.

projectors at a true 120hz are awsome!

One thing i do notice, and it may be the biggest thing that has bugged me, low pixel response time or something to that effect.

A very old 60hz evesham alqemi lcd ( 5ms pixel response time )has less blur on moving objects than a es8000 or other high range lcd's, including the 47et5b i have now and my pj.

All the high range lcd /passive actives i've had have had poor trialing in 2d at 60hz and 3d at 60hz, the tv's interpolation can fix the blur issue but at the cost of aded lag, so to fix the issue the tv has to take the 60hz input and interpolate to the displays native resfresh rate wether thats 100hz, 120hz, 200hz, 240hz ect in 2d or 3d works with zero pixel response time and has zero trailing/blur.

Same goes for my pj, 60hz has blur/trialing and it has it quite alot , more than it should like with the 3dtv's.
But with a 120hz input/ouput it has zero blur/trialing.

So to me this sounds like it is'nt a issue with pixel response times at all, it's a issue of 60hz content being played on a higher than 60hz native display and as such the the tv puts in blank frames like it does for terrestrial television or something to that effect.
eg
Most basic LCD TVs broadcast images at a refresh rate of 60 hertz; in other words, the TV displays 60 frames per second. Most movie studios, however, shoot on film that rolls at 24 frames per second. When your LCD TV tries to play back a movie that was shot at 24 frames per second, it must convert the source material to playback at the faster 60 frame per second speed in a process known as 2-to-3 pulldown. This literally slows down each frame, making the resulting video look choppy instead of smooth.

Read more: What Causes Jerky Movements on My LCD TV? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_12198941_cause ... z2A1NdA2vy
Anybody have any thought's on this.
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, nothing beats a DLP projector really (expect maybe HMDs, but they can have their own issues). People always said this in the forum, but I didn't get it until I bought the Optoma GT750. Probably the best $600 I ever spent.
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

Sent the benq back for repair, the left side was brighter than the right so whites were grey and colours slightly muted.
In the mean time i sold the etb5 due to excessive motion blur in interleaved or any mode that did'nt use Frame interpolation.

Got a Acer h5360bd.

I really did enjoy the benq but the acer that was £50 cheaper is much better , maybe it's due to the short throw i dno but the over all sharpness all over the screen in much better.

When the benq comes back it will replace the tv, small is too small now, i'd need a 60" plasma at least to satisfy me :).

I'm really happy that the last 2 3d things i have brought have been cheap as chips and i have a bigger 3d image, no xtalk and good input lag, i think thats it for me, just those 3 is all i need tobe happy with.

I hate 3dtvplay, well i did with a passive as it had input lag and crappy res due to fpr layer, active 3dtv's did look very nice at 720p 3dtvplay but again input lag.

The acer in 3dtvplay at 720p/60hz is very very very good for input lag, i'm over the moon, crappy 3dtv's!!!
And at 720p/120hz or 3d 60hz there is next to no blur on moving things, lovely clear image for both the benq and the acer in that respect.

Sine Mora
With tridef on a big screen is pretty darn amazing :)
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

PowerDVD has good interpolation, unfortunately WinDVDs version sucks.

Ever since they overhauled the Microsoft Silverlight Player awhile back, I enjoy Netfix at 120FPS on my PJ :)

For those without a HDMI 1.4 ready PJ, you can always use a Optoma 3D-XL, Viewsonic VP-3D1, 3D Fury or some of the newer 2D-3D converters will convert 3D formats as well as 2D content for frame sequential PJs.
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Benq w710st ( NOT RECCOMMENDED ) and cheap 3dvision clon

Post by butmunch »

Updated to Not reccommended!
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

Taken from another forum, my post ;)

Hi,
Cut a long story short.

The w710st has a sligtly brighter image on the left half of the screen, as the bulb gets used more this issue becomes more so at around 600 hours i clearly see a darker side and a brighter side.
Whats white on the left is grey on the right and slightly out of focus, colours are allso muted slightly on the right hand side, it was 40 days old when i first sent it back for repair,2 repairs and it couldnt be fixed.

I have ben fighting tooth and claw for a exchange or refund, exchange could of been offered but a new unit has the same issue techs said.

Here is a quote from the repair techs
“We received a projector where the complaint was "darker on one side of the image".

We can see this phenomenon but it is only very slight. We have tried an alternative lamp and have replaced the optical engine but still there is one side very slightly darker than the other.

We took a good machine from the warehouse and compared but found both to be exactly the same. We feel the machine is in good order and working within the limits of its design, we do not feel we can improve any further from its current condition.”
The shop that sold it me ignore my emails, luckily after threatening the sale of faulty goods act they picked it up and are offering a full refund.

Below quote is from benq this morning, i did say i have been fighting tooth and nail, Benq really does suck!!!
Dear Michael,

Thank you for your patience in this matter.
I have escalted this case to our product specialists and also to our head office in Taiwan.
the response I have recieved is that what you are experiencing is not seen as a defect but as a limitation within the specifications of this model. I can therefore not offer a refund or an exchange for another model.

Regards

Scott Ratcliffe

BenQ Europe
http://benq.co.uk
Please be aware that you will find it very hard to get a refund if this issue bothers you.

They have stated the issue is related to the tech and its in spec, hardly, imagine watching your tv with a brighter and darker side, it would be returned and they'd be tok of the shelfs most likely.

Benq really need to have a warning notice on the box and sale page for the w710st stating the image is degraded due to the short throw tech, if id of known this id not have brought it.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

i certainly wont be buying the w1070 as i now know what benq are really like, ther customer service is nil!
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Wow! That blows. Thanks for the warning.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Damn, I was eyeing the Benq W1070 that just went live and seems to be the best 3D 1080p projector (and even 2D) at an affordable price (<$1000), but now I'm quite cooled. I already saw some mentions of this problem in a forum with this particular projector, so it seems it's a quite common defect and they'll do nothing about it. Too bad...
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Raster scan displays should have less trouble with "uniformity".
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

Yeah it's abit wack.
The shop has took the pj back but who know's if they'll try and refuse me a refund, hopefully they will as there only 20 minutes away so is a shop i like to use when i need things i want and they have.

I'll just piont out as credit has tobe given to who Benq outscource there uk repairs to which is http://www.equinox.co.uk//categories/Services as there service and customer service was very good throughout the whole proccess.

They admitted to seeing the issue, phoning me back on the second repair and stating they could'nt fix and would i want it sending back in current condition, they replied via email with the quote about they could see the phenomonen instead of fobbing me off and saying its in spec like it or lump it.

So if your in the uk and the w1070 has a fault that is'nt inspec ( lol ) then i believe you can trust the repair tech guys to fix your issue and get it back asap.

Personally though i'll not be buying anything benq ever again due to the fact at how there own reps/main office dealt with my issue, we all know they should of just took it back and been done with it but instead would'nt accept my issue as a issue ad told me to do one, £480 is alot to one person, £480 to benq is nothing but a happy customer that would of used them again.#

If i do buy benq again i'll buy it from a very well respected site like amazon, john lewis as they are the type of internet shops to not put the manufactuers issues onto the buyer even after owning something for 11 months, lol that was'n me by the way, i just read something awhile back where somebody had had loads of 3dtv's all with same issue, the issue never got fixed so at around 11 month amazon uk refunded the total cost.
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX

Home 5.1 Surround Sound

Return to “3D Projectors”