DO I NEED A HMD???

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
SKYTALKER
One Eyed Hopeful

DO I NEED A HMD???

Post by SKYTALKER »

I'm disabled, i.e. I have an entrapped nerve in my abdominal wall...it's like having a toothache in my stomach and when it becomes enflamed, I become a whiny crybaby. I was able to handle it for the 1st 10 years (1991-2001), but it's becoming worse as time goes by. Anyway, enough about my sad story, which is nothing to what other people must endure. I used my desktop until I was not able to stand the pain so I saved until I was able to buy a used Dell laptop, which I use now. The problem is that when I'm in pain, I am only able to lay on my back, using my chest as a desk. I was wondering if I had a HMD, would it allow me to use my computer in other positions? I rarely play games, other than Solitaire, so that is not an objective. I want to be able to use my computer for typing, dbase, that sort of work. What would be the best HMD for what I want to do or is it a waste of money? If anyone has any other questions about what I want to do with the equipment, let me know.
THX,
Cliff
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: DO I NEED A HMD???

Post by FingerFlinger »

I think these might be a good solution for you. Much cheaper than a good HMD (although not as cool).

http://www.amazon.com/Skywill-Far-East- ... B0006ZZCJI
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, you know, an HMD might work for you. It would allow you to lay in bed and still see the computer. There are air mice available (or a ring mouse might work too). Typing may still be difficult, but if you are using a laptop I guess it wouldn't be that different.

The thing to keep in mind is that current HMDs usually have lower resolutions than monitors. Especially something like the Rift I would not recommend for desktop computing. The ST1080 would probably be a good fit for you, but they seem to be back-ordered. This is probably your best bet, its the only 1080P HMD available right now. Its also small and portable, and more comfortable to wear than other options. The other HMDs on the market either have too low a resolution (Vuzix) or are uncomfortable to wear (Sony). Hope that helps.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

One thing to keep in mind is that prolonged HMD usage causes a good bit of eye strain - especially for desktop usage because it's tricky (or often impossible) to keep the entire screen in focus. This is a common complaint with the Sony and the ST1080 which are the only realistic HMD's you would choose for desktop usage. I would say 1 or 2 hours would be the most that you feel comfortable per session.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

I think the HMZ is probably comfortable enough if you are lying on your back. I used mine quite a bit that way.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I guess in your situation a projector would be a better option, just project the image on the ceiling and you are done.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Seriously, try out a pair of bed glasses, $20, no batteries, and they're probably the actual best solution, because you are still using the laptop screen.
SKYTALKER
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SKYTALKER »

Thank you so mach for thes sugesions. I haven't loookd at then yet because we got bad weaher which hurts. I'l write late.
THX,
CLiff
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I'd go with the bed glasses, or the ST1080, which I think would be a much more suitable HMD than a Sony HMZ-T1/2. Its higher resolution (so can display desktops in full res), and lighter weight.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”