DIY Oculus Rift - schematics, instructions and build pics!

mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: DIY Oculus Rift - schematics, instructions and build pic

Post by mahler »

brantlew wrote:That's cool. It must be Carmack's code since I see the head roll. I didn't realize it was still active in Doom BFG. Is it in the source as well I wonder?
Unfortunately it's not in the source
John Carmack wrote: @epyoncf the head tracking code is not included, Oculus doesn't have the SDK sorted out yet. There will be another release later.
See: http://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status ... 6605721600
bobjwatts
Cross Eyed!

Post by bobjwatts »

braddas wrote:I think the model no. is AT050TN22, I just did a search and found a pdf here. It appears to be a 5" 640x480 screen, not what I ordered.

Well that's disappointing.
That sucks braddas, a tip one of the other forum members had was to ask them to plug in all the cables correctly before sending, this is what I have asked and they were happy to do so.

Looking awesome tmek, did you add that tracking code in?
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

So which is the one to get for side by side gaming with the rift, DDD or TriDef ? One of them is out of business correct ?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

3dvison wrote:So which is the one to get for side by side gaming with the rift, DDD or TriDef ? One of them is out of business correct ?
DDD and TriDef are the same. Well DDD is the company name and TriDef is the name of their software suite (and Ignition is the actual name of the driver). IZ3D is the one that went out of biz. DDD supports side-by-side, but its in the squished format made for HDTVs. IZ3D did have an experimental mode that had the right aspect ratio, but I hear there are problems with it and didn't try myself (anyway, you can't buy the software anymore).

The DIY driver I've been working on fixes the aspect ratio, so it will look right on the Rift. I was planning on releasing in December, but with the Rift delay the deadline doesn't seem as tight. Will probably try to get something out before the end of the year, since I know people have DIY Rifts already and can use the software.
fraherd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fraherd »

Yeah I'm sure there are more than a few that would keen to put down the early coin. Myself included.
3D Visualisation Artist
http://www.FraherDesign3D.com.au
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Yes Cyber that would be a good idea.
I was not going to DIY a RIFT but now with the delay I think I will, so your driver would be a big help to get some games running to try it out. I also would not have to buy the DDD/Tridef driver if yours was out.

Running head count...

+1 fraherd
+1 3Dvison

Thats 2
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

bobjwatts,
Have you looked into the Leep on the Cheap optics ?
I was wondering if they would help with the 7"inch screen. Is it possible to make the Leep with even biger dia. lenses ? Would that help with the wider eye spacing ?
bobjwatts
Cross Eyed!

Post by bobjwatts »

No, I'm just using the lenses that are specified on the first post of this thread, the 5x

But MaterialDefender has ordered larger ones:
MaterialDefender wrote:Due to the Rifts delay I just joined the DIY-crew, despite having absolutely zero experience in assembling something like this...

Since the Rift devkit isn't using the 5.6" display anymore, I chose a 7" model instead, conveniently sold together with a matching controller board. Just in case anyone is interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-DVI-VGA-co ... OC:DE:3160

Also I chose slightly larger lenses with a diameter of 5.7cm instead of the 5cm ones from rfurlans building instructions, mainly to make sure they are able to cover the larger display without having to add more space between lenses and screen. Although I don't really think this is neccessary. Those can be obtained here (somewhat more expensive than the proposed ones and the page is available in German only):

http://www.lupenshop.de/content/lupensh ... /View/1861

Regarding the mounting I will go the foam+ski goggles road, seems to be the best option to get somewhere as fast as possible.

Have you made a purchase yet?
Mel
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Mel »

3dvison wrote:Yes Cyber that would be a good idea.
I was not going to DIY a RIFT but now with the delay I think I will, so your driver would be a big help to get some games running to try it out. I also would not have to buy the DDD/Tridef driver if yours was out.

Running head count...

+1 fraherd
+1 3Dvison

Thats 2
+1 Mel

That's 3
bobjwatts
Cross Eyed!

Post by bobjwatts »

Mel wrote:
3dvison wrote:Yes Cyber that would be a good idea.

Running head count...

+1 fraherd
+1 3Dvison

Thats 2
+1 Mel

That's 3
+1 me too :) But I have already said that in the official thread.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

bobjwatts wrote: Have you made a purchase yet?
No not yet, I keep hoping someones 7" will come in and give word on how the eye spacing feels....
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

brantlew wrote:That's cool. It must be Carmack's code since I see the head roll. I didn't realize it was still active in Doom BFG. Is it in the source as well I wonder?
The tracking code is extracted from Fabien Sanglard's Oculus Rift: Motion Tracker Development article code for Quake 2.

It's pretty smooth and responsive when it works but it still has a bit of that jerky random head roll out of no where sometimes. But it was a new sensation for someone new to VR DIY, it felt like I was holding a tiny web cam that could look into that world. I'm really stoked about getting it all put together in a wearable fashion.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

tmek,
Have you used the YEI 3 space yet ?
Would like to see if the YEI 3 has less jerkyness than the Hillcrest.
braddas
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by braddas »

bobjwatts wrote:a tip one of the other forum members had was to ask them to plug in all the cables correctly before sending
Funnily enough, it actually states on the listing that they test everything before sending so I didn't think to ask. I'll know for next time, I guess. I've offered to just pay for the screen he sent me rather than posting it back, it's only worth $35 and I may find a use for it. Hopefully I can have the correct screen by sometime next week.

Just for the record, I'm also interested in that driver Cyber, count me in too!
Currently working on Flagship - a first-person RTS for the Oculus Rift.
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

3dvison wrote:tmek,
Have you used the YEI 3 space yet ?
Would like to see if the YEI 3 has less jerkyness than the Hillcrest.
I haven't yet, it requires a bit of soldering I will probably get to it this weekend. As soon as I get it up and running I'll post another video and report on the stability.

It is supposed to be much better. It can do 1000mhz in raw IMU mode and has magnetometer to improve accuracey and eliminate drift. It seems similar in specs to the custom sensor mentioned in the Oculus Kickstater update #13.

One more thing for people ordering LCDs. Mine did not come with powersupply from vitrolight (i emailed about one but they never responded). Luckily I had a 12volt 1Amp ac adapter from an old netgear router laying around. So be sure to order one or have one laying around, or you could probably use this one from walmart (just be sure to set it to 12 volts and that the polarity is right!)
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

OH
MY
GOD :woot

This thing has gone from sorta cool to "OH MY GOD LOOK AT THAT CHEESEBURGER ON THE COUNTER!" and "THAT HUMAN DUDE LOOKS HUMAN SIZED!" and "I CAN READ EVERYTHING ON THE HUD AND PDA!". The 3D and immersion level just kicked in big time and that's even just looking through the stationary test rig on my desk.

I turned on supersampling AA which helped clean up the graphics a lot AND more importantly I now have corrected warp distortion in Doom3 BFG. For some reason the most recent release of D3BFG is over barrel distorted when you set "stereoRendering_warp 1". I kept noticing pieces of the UI were getting cut off, everything was buldging out slightly and the corners were sharp angles and cut off instead of rounded. It didn't look like the video of unreal engine integration from the latest Kickstarter update.

There's a line in the stereoWarp.pixel fragment program:

const float screenWarp_range = 1.45;

That needs to be changed to

const float screenWarp_range = 1.0;

(Also, you have to jump through some hoops to get your glsl shaders to recompile, if any coders out there want that info let me know and i'll post more detail on that.)

I've included a screenshot of the corrected distortion. Man it totally changes things. I'm super amazed by how this looks now. I was like man these 3D movies look great from youtube but doom is just kinda ok, when i was expecting the opposite. Now doom is OMFGBBQZOR!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mart
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mart »

tmek wrote:The 3D and immersion level just kicked in big time
By 3D do you mean stereo separation? The only thing that seems to have depth is the OSD; the game world looks flat.

That said, it certainly looks good in terms of clarity/definition!
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

tmek wrote: I was like man these 3D movies look great from youtube.
Hi tmek,
Since the 5.6" screen has near perfect eye spacing, does that mean you can watch 3D youtube, or any other side by side content for that matter, without the need for special software to make adjustments to the image for eye spacing ?

The point being, if I built a DIY RIFT with the 5.6" screen, it would always be useful for side by side viewing even after the real RIFT is released.
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

tmek wrote:OH
MY
You are making me seriously consider starting to build a DIY

Anybody with experience of both 5,6" and 7" -- which would you recommend for better immersion?
Using a 7" panel would allow using better hardware specs, but what are the other trade-offs besides size/weight?
And for people who have been following this thread, which would you recommend for somebody just starting with his DIY kit?
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

MY
Even though I struggle to put up a shelf, your post make me want to go and attempt a DIY rift!
.... I know better though, lol.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
bobjwatts
Cross Eyed!

Post by bobjwatts »

MY

Awesome tmek! Always inspiring to hear good results!

Sounds like you are quite handy with teh codes.
Postipate
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Postipate »

Has anyone been able to play doom 3 with trackir?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@tmek: That image you posted doesn't seem to have any 3D effect. Are you sure you have the 3D set up properly?
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

I think there is some, looking at the bag or stairs on the right? But it couldn't hurt to crank it up a bit, there's a thread on tweaking FOV, IPD, gun placement etc here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=15631
Last edited by Nick3DvB on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

I hope JC hasn't just thrown out all his Armadillo sensor fusion code, it would have been nice for the guys on here with Hillcrest trackers to have been able to try it out.

Didn't it ship with basic libfreespace support? I assume he's now waiting for the SDK like everyone else, I really hope all the head & neck model stuff survives the transition.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

cybereality wrote:@tmek: That image you posted doesn't seem to have any 3D effect. Are you sure you have the 3D set up properly?
It's parallel. It looks 3D to me.
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

Here's my 1st attempt at assembly. Mostly just put together with painters tape. I used the cutout guide but found the focal length for my lenses is quite a bit further out than the box depth. I used some foam core as a spacer plus the fact that they are still in their lens holders. With a good bit of trial and error I got them focused, centered with good IPD then taped up. It lasted enough for me to try it out for 20 mins or so holding it up to my face before the lenses started to get out of position. I have some ideas on how I can get the lenses locked down more reliably. The head tracking worked in terms of proper orientation but but was too sluggish. i'm going to keep it for now until I can get the YEI 3 space soldered and hooked up. USPS says my ski goggles were delivered but they weren't :/. I'll call and hound them again tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mart
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mart »

tmek, can you post another screenshot with objects nearer to the camera so it's easier to see the 3D separation?
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

So basically the choice between DIY rift is now:
  • 5,6" screen for easy use with existing content. Also smaller and lighter, no modification to rfurlan's guide necessary
  • 7" screen with better hardware specs, and better chance of compatibility with the Rift dev kit content
Lookforyourhands

Post by Lookforyourhands »

Would it be possible to purchase someone's DIY rift kit off of them as a personal
transaction ? Or maybe someone could build me one and I'll pay you for everything including your time.
If anyone is interested in that please pm me. I do not think I can wait until March of next year to try this out...
Thank you !!

Edit: I know this is a thread about DIY but this
Stuff is kinda out of my league :|
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

Mart wrote:tmek, can you post another screenshot with objects nearer to the camera so it's easier to see the 3D separation?
These are all warped for my lens. 90fov and full stereo seperation. Looking through my lenses the menu.png "posters" are perfectly square and flat. Can anyone else with the 5x loupes take a look at these and see if they are square/distortion free for you?

I think I caught Betruger's good side...

(these are all 1280x720 because that's what doom3 seems to default to in windowed mode and i have to switch to windowed mode to printscreen. Doom3 screenshot feature is wonky for 3D screens. Just open them in a image viewer fullscreen)
Last edited by tmek on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

Lookforyourhands wrote:Would it be possible to purchase someone's DIY rift kit off of them as a personal
transaction ? Or maybe someone could build me one and I'll pay you for everything including your time.
If anyone is interested in that please pm me. I do not think I can wait until March of next year to try this out...
Thank you !!

Edit: I know this is a thread about DIY but this
Stuff is kinda out of my league :|
What I would recommend (first at least) is you buy the 5x lenses from the guide and print some of the screenshots I just posted. Paste the screenshots in Word or some other program where you can specify physical dimension on your images and set the picture width and height to match the 5.6" or 7" panel's width and height (or print sets for both). Get high quality color prints from Kinko's (you could fit multiple screenshots per page). This is what I did while i wanted on my LCD panel to arrive. The lenses arrived in like 2 business days. For about $25 bucks you can get a pretty close idea of what it the visuals will look like.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Quick comment to anyone trying to view these crosseyed to judge the depth;

Remember that for crosseye viewing the two images needs to swap place.

You wont get a sense of depth without swapping the images, and it doesnt work to simply mirror the image either.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

tmek wrote:What I would recommend (first at least) is you buy the 5x lenses from the guide ...
Lookforyourhands: In case you didn't see the guide yet, you can find them here http://www.ebay.com/itm/251148139033
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The 3D still looks weak in my opinion, but maybe that's just me.
TheLookingGlass
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheLookingGlass »

Sorry if this is out of place but GreenManGaming has DOOM BFG Edition on sale this week for $18USD. I figured those that don't have a copy yet might want to buy it for testing their DIY Rifts. It's a steam key so you need Steam if you don't already have it.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/p ... g-edition/

Place game in cart and then use voucher code GMG40-9X5OP-PBQA8 at checkout to drop price to $18USD.
bobjwatts
Cross Eyed!

Post by bobjwatts »

tmek wrote:
Mart wrote:tmek, can you post another screenshot with objects nearer to the camera so it's easier to see the 3D separation?
These are all warped for my lens. 90fov and full stereo seperation. Looking through my lenses the menu.png "posters" are perfectly square and flat. Can anyone else with the 5x loupes take a look at these and see if they are square/distortion free for you?

I think I caught Betruger's good side...

(these are all 1280x720 because that's what doom3 seems to default to in windowed mode and i have to switch to windowed mode to printscreen. Doom3 screenshot feature is wonky for 3D screens. Just open them in a image viewer fullscreen)

I printed them out, the packshots are nice and square for me, the 3d looks good too. The image of Betruger really stands out from the background. Could it be your lenses @Cyber or are you freeviewing?

@tmec is the FOV for the 5x and 5.6" 90? I thought it would have a larger vertical FOV?
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Hey bobjwatts,
Is it possable for you to print one out at the 7"inch panel size to try with those 5x lenses.
Would like to know if you think the image will need to be shifted inward for the 7inch screen.
bobjwatts
Cross Eyed!

Post by bobjwatts »

3dvison wrote:Hey bobjwatts,
Is it possable for you to print one out at the 7"inch panel size to try with those 5x lenses.
Would like to know if you think the image will need to be shifted inward for the 7inch screen.
@3dvision - Like I have said previously in this thread I have done a heap of testing with not only printouts but a 7" tablet, I can only just get the image converged for my eyes before the lenses start distorting, so it is viewable but I think it might be hard to do for a long time. Again it depends on your personal IPD.

Overlap will definitely work and you can be sure the Rift SDK will be doing it.

I'm still happy I ordered the 7" because I know I can drop the resolution and set the screen to no scale, which means the image will be at a similar physical width to the 5.6" and when overlap content is more available I'll be able to use the full 7" width, so it's a flexible solution.

Have you purchased the 5x lenses? it might be worth doing because other peoples opinion of the 7" still won't match your personal IPD and you may be dissapointed if you make a purchase based on others.
Naru
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Naru »

Could someone give me the exact dimensions of the 5x lenses from ebay. I'd like the diameter and width of the black plastic ring as I don't intend to remove them at first. I'm excited and want to build a housing right now. Just need those dimensions. I'm thinking the diameter is a bit larger than 2 inches, with the width being somewhere around 3/4 inches. I wouldn't mind measurements in centimeters though. I would really appreciate someone's help on this. Thanks.

Return to “Oculus VR”