3D Monitors

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Taak
One Eyed Hopeful

3D Monitors

Post by Taak »

Hi! I recently got a GTX 670 OC Version, and have been thinking about getting a monitor and finally trying out 3D gaming. I saw that NewEgg is having a big sale this month, so I thought maybe I'll be able to find a nice monitor on sale. I know that with nvidia, you should look for a monitor that labels itself as "nvidia 3d vision ready", but I was wondering if anyone on here could recommend me some monitors, doesn't matter if it is actually on sale or not. Thanks in advance!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: 3D Monitors

Post by cybereality »

Well, a few points. Personally I like the quality of shutter glasses over polarized (FPR) but both have their place. If you want to go with the Nvidia glasses you absolutely MUST buy a display that they have certified. You can see a list here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision- ... ments.html

I am using the ASUS VG236H, and its nice. I've played a number of games with this and its a lot of fun (I recommend getting Trine 2). Granted the 3D Vision 1 glasses are a bit dark, but otherwise it looks good. Some ghosting (mainly on the top of the screen) but this is similar to most other 3D Vision displays. I think 3D Vision 2 helps with this, but they all have some ghosting. I also tried the Acer HN274H, and liked it a lot (if you want a 27"er).

I see on NewEgg a lot of passive displays. These are nice because they are cheap, and if you are on a budget they are not a bad solution. Keep in mind they are interleaved, meaning each alternating row of pixels goes to another eye (ie half the resolution for each eye). In practice this does not look as bad as you would think, but still not as good as real 1080P 3D material. I have the Zalman Trimon, which is passive polarized FPR-style. You can't really find these anymore, but the other brands should be as good or better. The issue with passive (aside from loss of detail) is that the viewing angles are low (especially vertically). This means you must carefully adjust the monitor and/or you seat and not move very much when playing. Ghosting is also apparent, but fairly low. So not the best thing out there, but a decent value for the price.

Also, watch out for the LG displays. They are cheap, but a lot of people got the wrong glasses packaged with them and have to go through trouble to get the right ones.

Maybe if you post the model numbers of some displays you are looking at we can give some more feedback. Hope that helps.
Taak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Taak »

Thanks a lot for the reply! I had never heard of Trine 2, and it looks awesome. I don't really have a budget, so should I be looking at the nVidia 3D Vision 2 stuff? Are the Lightboost and improvements very noticeable? I can only seem to find two different displays that are marked as having the Lightboost technology, the BenQ XL2420TX and Asus VG278H. The BenQ is 24", the Asus is 27" and the price difference is about $100. However, people seem to say the BenQ's colors aren't that great. And I don't believe the BenQ comes with glasses(which cost about $100 right?). So is the Asus the no-brainer to go with for the nVidia 3D vision 2? Or are their other displays with the Lightboost for 3D 2?

Edit: Just looked at NewEgg's listing for the BenQ and it actually does come with glasses. Still not sure if Amazon's does or doesn't.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I've heard good things about 3D Vision 2. However I have heard there were backlight issues with the ASUS. Basically some people would get a bright rectangle glowing extra bright on the screen, which looks annoying. Not sure if they have fixed this already, but usually ASUS is good.
havok2191
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by havok2191 »

I have an ASUS VG236H as well. Excellent for 2D gaming @ 120HZ. After using this for a year and looking at 60Hz monitors it feels so jerky. This is one of the best investments I have ever made. When you see 120fps, its so fluid. Its like a double rainbow :O

I recently bought 3D Glasses (3D Vision 2 Kit). Tried 3D with it and regret not buying it earlier. This LCD TV maybe a bit old so its not as bright but man it is an awesome deal. If you have more money then go for the 27" big brother which has lightboost so 3D is brighter.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”