GLDirect unlocks 3D Vision support for older OpenGL titles

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

GLDirect unlocks 3D Vision support for older OpenGL titles

Post by Fredz »

The GLDirect project is one of the best things to happen to 3D Vision since NVidia all but dropped OpenGL support. You simply place the GLDirect build of opengl32.dll into the same folder as the game executable.

Thanks to GLDirect, 3D Vision is verified as working with the following games that I've tested so far:
  • - Alice (American McGee's)
    - Star Wars Jedi Academy
    - Kingpin: Life of Crime
Pros:
  • - Easy installation, just drag-and-drop opengl32.dll. No special configuration or patching required.
    - Excellent 3D effects. Minimal foreground ghosting and no background ghosting at maximum depth. I haven't changed the default convergence; see Cons for a point about this.
    - Stereoscopic 3D sight works perfectly.
Cons:
  • - Resolution set by the game itself, not by GLDirect. This is important, since the games targeted by GLDirect tend not to support 1680x1050 resolution by default. Quake 3 engine games such as Alice and Jedi Academy let you override the supported resolutions. I've not discovered how to do this with Quake 2 engine games such as Kingpin, so I cannot yet play this in native 1680x1050.
    - Perspective is too distant. These OpenGL-based titles don't have the "up in your face" 3D effects that I expect from native DirectX games. For my definition of "up in your face", run the 3D Vision test app and notice that the spinning NVidia logo appears to fly out from the monitor. Changing convergence might fix this, though I'm reluctant to go there.
Source : http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?show ... ode=linear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: GLDirect unlocks 3D Vision support for older OpenGL titl

Post by yuriythebest »

Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

ppl say it wont work with doom3 or q4 .

how bout ddd or iz3d?
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Cool but unfortunately it doesn't work with the old Nvidia demos like Dawn and Nalu.
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

hmm it works well with quake 3... but i'm not shure if i will be playing quake 3 in 3D... to bad that the croshair doubles... will have to use the nvidia one...
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I remember playing American McGee's Alice in 3d. It's simply one of those awesome games with a very few or even no anomalies. Couldn't believe it's opengl! :lol:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

I didn't pay too much attention to this thread, but yesterday finally tested gldirect. It took me a while to figure where to get it from until I found that now is a sourceforge project.

I tried Prey but didn't work, as expected (id engine). But then tried IL-2 and worked flawlessly! I was keeping the 7900gtx exclusively for IL-2, I may not need it any more.

Thx for pointing it out.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
alexjt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alexjt »

I don't suppose there's a chance anyone here would be willing to test Celestia out with this for me to see if it works? It's not a game, but is free and small and cool (http://www.shatters.net/celestia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

I'm working on an educational exhibit and am trying to find out what method for stereoscopy might work.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

I made Celestia work in stereo in winxp with legacy stereo drivers time ago. It doesn't have fancy graphics, so it's very likely that it could work with 3d vision driver thanks to gldirect. I may try it if you wish. It still may be somewhere in my xp partition.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
Mitbekommer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mitbekommer »

alas - still doesn't work with penumbra.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”