Rollercoaster Rampage - Score discussion

GameGrade3D is a new gamer driven database of the top games, their best settings, and the visual results you can expect using DDD, iZ3D, NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision, and native 3D solutions.

Have questions and ideas for GameGrade3D? Share them here!
andysonofbob
One Eyed Hopeful

Rollercoaster Rampage - Score discussion

Post by andysonofbob »

Hi

I have some concerns (suprise!) regarding the GG3D score resulting from Plagerise's review (when using squashed (?) mode). P's review was solid and as detailed as usual, no worries there, but how come GG3D gave RCR a 'C' grade? The letter denotes 3D flexibility right?

It sounds like GG3D awarded the C grade because of the menu screen. P's review mentions issues with the mouse. (Presummably the mouse is invisible here, I am fairly sure people would agree a doubled mouse is not an problem in a game's menu and if you play the game with a gamepad this isnt even an issue!)

To sum up RCR's 3D flexibiliy, RCR:
  • has zero anomolies during gameplay
    has maximum 3D flexibility (the game lets you break convergence!)
    lets you adjust 3D on the fly using convenient hotkeys (where most force you to guess 3D by going into the settings)
    even shows you the 3D values in game with a handy 100 div scale popup!
How come it isn't an A then? The menu? Seriously? By all means dock it 10% QA and give it Gold. TBH I would argue the game's menu shouldn't even be considered part of the HUD. If I were in a flight sim I wouldn't dream of considering a load screen part of the HUD - that is just my opinion though.

The game's menu should not affect its flexibility score.

I think:
Trine 2 should represent effective 3D visuals
Roller Coaster Rampage should represent 3D flexibilty - all devs should be pointed in its direction frankly. It's also a ROLLER COASTER game, in 3D!!! People build theaters to mimic being on a roller coaster. This is better! Awesome!

You are probably going to nod me in the direction of Avatar - The Game right? For flexibility? The game forces popout of the avatar which at high depth settings is painfully close to you on a desktop monitor and distractingly close at low depth. The 3D is so INFLEXIBLE I am suprised it doesn't snap!

Reacting to praise for Avatar's 3D has made me angry... again! Sorry :(
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Rollercoaster Rampage - Score discussion

Post by Neil »

I struggled with the game a bit because of the mouse cursor problem too. However, I know the developer, and I bet this is easy to fix.

This is what A through D mean. The letter isn't a penalty or a score of good to bad, it's just an indication of visual flexibility and what conditions exist or are needed to get that flexibility.

Grade A

Grade A offers the most flexibility. The game can be played with maximum "eye candy" settings and there are no discernible artifacts or anomalies when played in a combined depth and pop-out experience as described in MTBS' Stereoscopic 3D Settings Guide.

Some driver developers force certain eye candy settings off, despite what is adjusted in the game. This would NOT qualify for a Platinum grade.

Grade B

The game can be played with a combined depth and pop-out experience and there are no visual anomalies. However, the game does require one or more "eye candy" settings to be turned off (e.g. bloom, HDR lighting, field of view, glow, etc.). Drivers that forcibly turn game settings off would fall in this category as well. For example, shadows that are turned on in the game, but don't actually appear in stereoscopic 3D mode.

Grade C

While the game can be played with a combined depth and pop-out experience, some non-critical visual anomalies remain. The game may or may not require one or more "eye candy" settings to be turned off (e.g. bloom, HDR lighting, field of view, glow, etc.).

Grade D

This is the lowest level of visual flexibility. The game can only be played in a "depth only" situation because it will otherwise be plagued by critical anomalies and visual errors. The game may or may not require one or more "eye candy" settings to be turned off (e.g. bloom, HDR lighting, field of view, glow, etc.) as well.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “GameGrade3D Discussion”