Best Games for a DIY VR 3d setup

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
nyohan
One Eyed Hopeful

Best Games for a DIY VR 3d setup

Post by nyohan »

I thought it would be interesting to get everyone's ideas on the best games for a DIY VR 3d setup. I have been giving this a lot of thought lately and I have been watching countless 'in game' videos. It seems to me that while a game like Diablo III might be a lot of fun to play and even more fun in 3d, it's just not really suited for the immersion factor of VR.

I think for me to really feel like I'm part of the game, I need to look around and have the world view change around me as it does in the real world. So the game will need to be in first person perspective and present a 3d world. The world will also need to be as free roaming as possible. To really round out my experience I would like to be able to find a game where I can have a place to hang my hat and call my own. Somewhere that I can store things that I obtain in my travels. Though just being thrown into something and fighting for survival could be fun too.

I think it would be great if you could give examples as to why the game felt as immersive as it did an also what really didn't work about the game.

I have played Fallout 3 all the way through but only on a monitor, the same goes for Skyrim. They are the first two games that I plan on testing with my 3d VR setup.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Best Games for a DIY VR 3d setup

Post by cybereality »

Personally I like testing with Left4Dead a bunch. Mainly because its action packed and you get a lot of bullets. The controls are also simple, so you don't need to be fumbling with the keyboard. Plus, its light on resources so it can be run in 3D on a mid-range laptop even. Admittedly this is not truly a VR experience, but it works. I also had a lot of fun playing Hard Reset with the HMZ-T1. Also used this game with the Vuzix 1200VR and a laptop in a backpack, which was fun.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Best Games for a DIY VR 3d setup

Post by WiredEarp »

L4D is pretty much perfect in 3D. With the Hydra setup as a gun, and my Z800's, its great.

As CR says, it works on lesser hardware AND it supports low resolutions so it can work with most VR devices.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”