Blu-ray & dual projector setup (newbie question)

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
DigiMagic
One Eyed Hopeful

Blu-ray & dual projector setup (newbie question)

Post by DigiMagic »

Hello,

I'd like to be able to watch 3D blu-rays over projectors in full quality, using PC as a source. I did some investigation, got some conclusions, but I'm still not sure if I figured it all out correctly:
- for audio, I would need an ATI 5xxx and external decoder because it is the only one that supports bitstreaming and all software players downsample to 16 bit 48 kHz
- for video, I might be able to use a Nvidia card with dual DVI/HDMI outputs and PowerDVD 10 or TMT 3 with 3d plugin... maybe

"Maybe" because none of these two players support dual projector outputs. I even asked Cyberlink about that, and they don't plan to support it ever.

So.... can I activate some other kind of 3d output in player, then reroute this magically through iz3d driver and it would convert it to dual output? Or is there some other way?

I know about Stereoscopic player, but I'd like to avoid the need to convert all blu-rays into some other format before watching (ok, not that there are too many at the moment, but I suppose there will be...)
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Blu-ray & dual projector setup (newbie question)

Post by Likay »

As far as i know stereoscopic player team will implement 3d-bluray support if it's possible. If it's not possible for playback on computer noone else can do it either. :D
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Both Cyberlink and Avail support ATI graphics cards, it's just the 3D vision output that requires an Nvidia graphics card.

At the moment, there is no BluRay3D support for dual projectors but things might change.
I have not tried any of these software but knowing how computer video works, you should already be able to reuse the codecs from at least one of these companies to play your video in some other software. It should require some knowledge but it should be possible to get it running, you maybe won't have the BluRay 3D menus and you might have to use a BluRay protection removal software like AnyDVDHD but it has to be doable. I guess it's just a matter of time before we get some things working.

I am heading the Dual projection route within the next few months so I guess I'll try to find a solution.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
DigiMagic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DigiMagic »

BlackShark wrote:At the moment, there is no BluRay3D support for dual projectors but things might change.
I have not tried any of these software but knowing how computer video works, you should already be able to reuse the codecs from at least one of these companies to play your video in some other software. It should require some knowledge but it should be possible to get it running, you maybe won't have the BluRay 3D menus and you might have to use a BluRay protection removal software like AnyDVDHD but it has to be doable. I guess it's just a matter of time before we get some things working.
Indeed, there is a conversion tutorial already available at one site somewhere (whose name I cannot recall now, but it will certainly occur to me later when it wouldn't matter anymore...), though I actually don't have any blu-ray to test it yet - Coraline went for ~150 euros last week on ebay :shock:
BlackShark wrote:I am heading the Dual projection route within the next few months so I guess I'll try to find a solution.
Cool, same here, that's why I'm asking around for more information and opinions... I am thinking about a pair of Panasonic PT-AE4000 and some lowest-end graphics card with 3 outputs (2 for projectors + 1 for regular monitor), if such thing exists.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I think the Stereoscopic Player will be supporting BluRay 3D at some point in the future, although when that will be is anybody's guess. In the meantime the only solution would be to rip the disc yourself, which can be done, but its a labor-intensive process and requires close to 1TB just for a scratch disc. Hopefully someone will support dual projectors in the future.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

cybereality wrote:I think the Stereoscopic Player will be supporting BluRay 3D at some point in the future, although when that will be is anybody's guess. In the meantime the only solution would be to rip the disc yourself, which can be done, but its a labor-intensive process and requires close to 1TB just for a scratch disc. Hopefully someone will support dual projectors in the future.
It should be possible to grab the raw uncompressed video and manipulate it in some way to stream in real time into stereoscopic player without even having to write any data on the Hard drive using a complex combination of Graphedit and Avisynth script. However those are quite advanced techniques which I have never even tried myself so I would be completely unable to white any guide for this. I'll have to wait to get my hands on the hardware to try.
Passive 3D forever !
Tbarty
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tbarty »

Hi guys just signed up so that I can share this with you 3d blu-ray is possible on a dual projector system! After looking at comments on Youtube you will need a piece of software from DVDfab.com the software is called Blu-ray 3d ripper (http://www.dvdfab.com/blu-ray-3d-ripper.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) the software allows you to rip the disc to your computer and then convert it into a variety of 3d formats these are playable by many stereoscopic 3d players that support dual output e.g tridef a free stereoscopic player is also available from the following link (http://www.3dtv.at/Index_en.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) I hope this has helped people. Please note I have not tried the software just heard of others that have used it.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hi, welcome and thanks for info! :)
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

There have been a number of software to do that, more or less complicated. But the conversion process is very long so the main issue is still there : you can't play an actual BluRay 3D disc.
Passive 3D forever !
relaxman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by relaxman »

Yes, but dvdfab is very fast even with a dualcore cpu.
And when somebody have nvidia card with cuda, its even faster than realtime!
mmartin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mmartin »

just wanted to mention,
that stereoscopic 3d player is now (Version 1.7) able to play (decode) ssif files from bluray directly in the newest version.
http://3dtv.at/Products/Player/Bluray_en.aspx
with that and a Bluray copy protection remover, i can play 3D Blurays directly on my dual projector set
(Quadcore PC,Nvidia dual DVI card, 2 ASK M5 DLP Projectors).
works like a charm, but i only have 1024x786 dual Resolution...
ImmortalJman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ImmortalJman »

What was the layout that you chose for doing dual output for bluray. When I did it the first time, the layout comes up and I didn't see anything that made sense for dual output. I'm on the process of building my theater so I haven't hooked up my dual projectors yet, but I'll do a test soon enough. Could it be that it brought that up when I have just one display up.
ImmortalJman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ImmortalJman »

Well, I did answer my own question with regards to layout. When you connect two displays, those options are grayed out and it's no factor. However, I ran into another problem. Using Stereoscopic player in dual projection mode I open the left and right separate video files and it starts to play in the single window and then informs me that in order to display 3D it needs to be in fullscreen mode. When I engage fullscreen mode scaled or unscaled it stops playing and displays a black screen. It doesn't load or anything, it just seems to be sitting there and doesn't do anything. I thought that it might be the file I was using (MKV) but it plays fine in a window and then I try using a 3D bluray which starts playing just fine in window mode but then switching to fullscreen mode for 3D it doesn't display anything either. Now, it's not the projector either because the mouse is still displayed just like it's on the desktop but it's black screens behind it. Have any of you run into this?
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

ImmortalJman wrote:I ran into another problem. Using Stereoscopic player in dual projection mode I open the left and right separate video files and it starts to play in the single window and then informs me that in order to display 3D it needs to be in fullscreen mode. When I engage fullscreen mode scaled or unscaled it stops playing and displays a black screen. It doesn't load or anything, it just seems to be sitting there and doesn't do anything. I thought that it might be the file I was using (MKV) but it plays fine in a window and then I try using a 3D bluray which starts playing just fine in window mode but then switching to fullscreen mode for 3D it doesn't display anything either. Now, it's not the projector either because the mouse is still displayed just like it's on the desktop but it's black screens behind it. Have any of you run into this?
Oddly enough, I have just experienced the same problem when trying to use Stereoscopic Player with two projectors. I had been using .avi files (Xvid) with no problems at all, but when I tried displaying still photos (side-by-side jpegs) the program just froze in exactly the way you describe.

It seems especially strange because you'd think the video files would require more processor power than the still photos, and yet the videos play fine. Also, I have used Stereoscopic Player for years in other modes and with the same files and have never had trouble. It works fine with NVidia 3D vision on my PC and with the Vuzix Wrap from the laptop.

Has anyone else had this trouble? Is there a pattern that anyone can see?
ImmortalJman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ImmortalJman »

Well, I actually discovered my fault. For some reason I had selected the Stereobright output which is supposed to switch the green channel with the other projector or whatever. That's what was freezing it. When I switched it to the regular dual output method, it played just fine. Hopefully, that helps.
ImmortalJman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ImmortalJman »

ShawmK wrote:Also, I have used Stereoscopic Player for years in other modes and with the same files and have never had trouble. It works fine with NVidia 3D vision on my PC and with the Vuzix Wrap from the laptop.
How do you connect and use your Vuzix Wrap with your laptop? I have the older 920 version but I was curious what setting you use with Stereoscopic player to get it to work.
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

I'm using the wrap 920 with the VGA adaptor.

With Stereoscopic Player, go into the "settings" menu, and under Playback Options choose Side-by-side, left image first for "Viewing Method". Then select Half Width for "Aspect Ratio" and tick the "Center Views" box. That should do it! I'm not sure if this works with the VR920; does that model do side-by-side 3D?

So you've had no further problems running two projectors? I still can't find the problem, but as I say it's only with still images, and only in Dual Screen Mode. I've written an email to the Stereoscopic Player site asking for advice, but haven't had a reply yet. We shall see...
ImmortalJman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ImmortalJman »

Thanks.

Nope, no problems with it since then (crossing fingers)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

For use with VR920 on Stereoscopic Player you need to selected "Software Page-flipping" and then under "Glasses control" select "VR920". It did work at some point for me, but then I started having problems with it.
stubbypickle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stubbypickle »

You can play 3d bluray on a dual polarized setup. Im running it now. You have to get a peice of equipment called a geo box by VNS. you can then hook your computer to it and play the 3d bluray as regular. you can also hook up your xbox 360 or ps3 for 3d gaming. Its an awesome product way better then the ripping I was doin.
Guig2000
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Guig2000 »

Does this box capable to drive a stereomirror screen from planar?

How is it possible that you have this while I don't find it anywhere and the VNS website is down?
I suspect you to be a vns employee in fact.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”