Comfort mod for SONY HMZ. Cheap and comfortable.

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Comfort mod for SONY HMZ. Cheap and comfortable.

Post by mayaman »

Takes about ten minutes.

Guys here is my mod for my HMZ. Very easy and CHEAP!

Step 1: remove forehead pad
Step 2: Remove nose rubber
Step 3: Fit HMZ on head and place it as close to face as possible placing nose in nose cutout. Adjust bands for fit.
Step 4: Cut industrial Velcro to length needed to reach pad in front and over head band in back.
Step 5: Cut Velcro piece for forehead pad
Step 6: Attach long Velcro piece *fuzzy side* to front pad Velcro. Fold back end of Velco around top plastic head band.
Step 7: Put on headset and adjust side arms for distance.

You're done.
You will now notice that you no longer have blurry edges, you have perfect centered picture.
You're closer to the Oleds and FOV is awesome.
Your nose fits nicely into the nose section.
The weight rests on your top of head, forehead, and barely on your nose. But distributed wonderfully and very comfortable.
Played wipeout and uncharted tonight for three hours straight with no forehead pain or head strain. I couldn't play for more than an hour before. Do this and you will love your HMZ.

Here are a couple of pics.

matrix961
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Comfort mod for SONY HMZ. Cheap and comfortable.

Post by matrix961 »

Just got done trying this and it works extremely well. It definitely brings the screen in much closer. The unit just barely touches my nose. There are no blurry edges at all. I was able to get the unit comfortable before with a lot of tiny adjustments but this makes it even more comfortable with minimal effort. This is something that all hmz-t1 owners should at least try since it's easy and cheap. Thanks for sharing this, I was thinking of other mods that would have been more of a pain to implement.

I got 4 feet of 2" wide industrial velcro at Lowes for 8 bucks. I actually stuck 2 fuzzy lengths sticky side together to make it a nice thickness. I left one side longer by a few inches then stuck a piece of non fuzzy length to that. I just wrap it around the top strap so it sticks back to itself.
HMD's: VFX1, HeadPlay, HMZ-T1
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Yeah glad I could help, I also stuck two fuzzy sides together :D

The best thing about this is it's much quicker on and off, sits almost perfectly and makes the HMZ into more of a hat than something that pinches your head or crushes your forehead. I'm wondering how HMD designers don't design things better.

Enjoying my headset 100% more now.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Hmm, I'm playing with your mod as we speak, but I can't seem to get any weight off of my nose or forehead. This thing is so front heavy.. Did you find any specific way to adjust the straps?

This method just might not work with my head, I suppose.

EDIT: After much fanangling, I have gotten some of the weight off of my nose. It feels PERFECT if I pull down on the lower back strap, so I'm trying to think of a way to accomplish that. My only two ideas at the moment are a counterweight or a chest harness, both of which are rather silly.

Still, your mod has definitely improved the comfort, even with my big nose!
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

No problem finger. The key is the top and back strap. You have to have the lower back strap go under the curvature of the back of your skull. Since its elastic it shouldn't be to hard. This also depends on the top plastic piece. Those two are the key, then you cut your Velcro and test fit before applying it. Will take you a few tries to get it right but it isn't difficult.

FYI I have a pretty large head and I have a nice curve on the back of my head lol so this works great for me. It puts the weight right on the Velcro on the top of my head because the elastic band is securely under the back portion of my skull, pulling the HMD close to my face and level on my nose. It's almost perfect and comfortable.

Obviously YMMV depending on your head shape. Don't give up, think of it as a fun project. :)
space123321

Post by space123321 »

This does make a big difference! I also through some small velco tabs on my second wii remote and simply velco'd the wiimote ontop of my head via the strap for use with Peirreye's Skyrim script.... works like a charm!
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

To fix my nose weight issue, I clipped a small bag of rice to the back top strap, and it was perfect; no weight at all on my nose, and it didn't slide forward anymore. I'm going to sew together a small pouch to attach a permanent counterweight. I'll post pictures of it when I finish.
NoRC
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NoRC »

I only got my HMZ-T1 yesterday, played 3 hours of BF3 tonight with no adjustments or anything... I find it completely comfitable and fine out of the box. Weight is nicely distributed between my forehead and back of my head...

However I do like the idea of this mod, I may try it if I find that the comfit deteriorates over time. Infact I may try it just for the bringing of the oleds closer to my eyes, but so far its been nothing short of brilliant.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Try it and you won't go back to the other way. :)
matrix961
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by matrix961 »

In addition I've also increased comfort by sandwiching each head strap between two thin strips of fuzzy Velcro, looks like I have wider head straps now. I just had to make sure the straps were adjusted to my head since I won't be able to adjust them now that the Velcro is on. You could just leave the Velcro off of the adjustment parts. I wasn't worried about needing to readjust since I'm the only one using it so I just covered the straps completely.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Did the same today very snug and comfortable.
space123321

Post by space123321 »

Ended up doing the 'welding helmet' mod - I am now drooling!!! I used 3 seat belt covers as the padding... soooo comfy now lol!
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

After few revision of comfort mod, I'm now content with the welding helmet mod and I can play for hours without any discomfort.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Welding helmet?

Like I said I added the fuzzy Velcro to the back strap as well and now the headset basically goes on and stays put like a hat.

Does the welding mod help in bringing the screens closer?

Pics?
space123321

Post by space123321 »

An idea I saw over on the AVS forum. I slit the front pad and attached the forehead rest directly to the welding helmet with velco tabs (the padding then is wrapped aorund this therefore the screen is fairly close - closer if I remove the pad however it is just to comftable. I also cut a whole in the rear pad to allow for the head adjustment knob. I was even able to rig up a wiimount with the piece that the welding visor attaches to. There is zero strain and my neck now - I am quite pleased with it. Simply cut the 2 zip ties and I am back to stock... no warrenty issues!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Woah! Nice work space123321.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Nice!
If you attach a webcam to it you can use it as a.... welding helmet :P
matrix961
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by matrix961 »

Nice, thanks for posting pics of this space123321. I like the welding helmet idea because of the knob adjusters. It seems like it would make it easier to adjust if needed.

I’m working on a mod to reduce moisture build up in the front for sweat hogs like me :P. I’m hoping to use a tiny blower fan I found online, just need the time to experiment with it. I’ve found these Sunon mighty mini blowers that are as small as 9x9x3mm that are used in various small electronics. I’ll have to post more info once I start experimenting.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

I don't know looks really bulky but if it works for you. I added the fuzzy Velcro to the back rubber and it grips nicely and is really comfortable, it doesn't move either.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Only problem with the blower fan is it might be noisy. Thats the issue with paintball masks with built in fans...
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

WiredEarp wrote:Only problem with the blower fan is it might be noisy. Thats the issue with paintball masks with built in fans...
Thats what my closed headphones are used for, shut out noisy girlfriends who wants you to get off your ass and repaint the living room (Or whatever) and noisy fans... :lol:
matrix961
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by matrix961 »

mayaman wrote:I don't know looks really bulky but if it works for you. I added the fuzzy Velcro to the back rubber and it grips nicely and is really comfortable, it doesn't move either.
I'd have to agree. I spent some time yesterday researching the welding helmet a bit. I think it's a great mod for some but I still like the minimal approach with the velcro. I think adding the velcro on the back straps really helps by not allowing them to dig into your head over time. I plan on making some custom pads eventually but this works well for now.

I flew for a few hours last night in FSX with 3D on and had no issues which by the way is completely awesome especially with trackir. The 3D really does add a whole other feel to the game, not sure if I can go back to 2D now.
beatet
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by beatet »

mayaman wrote:Takes about ten minutes.

Guys here is my mod for my HMZ. Very easy and CHEAP!

Step 1: remove forehead pad
Step 2: Remove nose rubber
Step 3: Fit HMZ on head and place it as close to face as possible placing nose in nose cutout. Adjust bands for fit.
Step 4: Cut industrial Velcro to length needed to reach pad in front and over head band in back.
Step 5: Cut Velcro piece for forehead pad
Step 6: Attach long Velcro piece *fuzzy side* to front pad Velcro. Fold back end of Velco around top plastic head band.
Step 7: Put on headset and adjust side arms for distance.

You're done.
You will now notice that you no longer have blurry edges, you have perfect centered picture.
You're closer to the Oleds and FOV is awesome.
Your nose fits nicely into the nose section.
The weight rests on your top of head, forehead, and barely on your nose. But distributed wonderfully and very comfortable.
Played wipeout and uncharted tonight for three hours straight with no forehead pain or head strain. I couldn't play for more than an hour before. Do this and you will love your HMZ.

Here are a couple of pics.

Hi from Spain.
Could you explain with more pics?
I´m a donkey and I need it step by step.
Thank you so much.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

I'm currently modifying this to make it more comfortable. :)

More pics soon
beatet
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by beatet »

mayaman wrote:I'm currently modifying this to make it more comfortable. :)

More pics soon

Ok , thank you, waiting for the pics
turbo87
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by turbo87 »

Mayaman, Any updates on the pics? Waiting to get my HMZ in the next week and wanted to look at simple mod options :) Thanks!
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Yeah sorry, going to have them up by the weekend, I'm also a Fanatec beta tester and I'm testing a bunch of their equipment for a review on Saturday.

You won't have to destroy the headset or void warranty with my mod. Best of all it gets red of that horrible plastic structure that pinched your head :D
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

mayaman wrote:Yeah sorry, going to have them up by the weekend, I'm also a Fanatec beta tester and I'm testing a bunch of their equipment for a review on Saturday.

You won't have to destroy the headset or void warranty with my mod. Best of all it gets red of that horrible plastic structure that pinched your head :D
Getting rid of that horrible plastic casing and headphones hardly destroys the unit or void warranty, its 100% reverseable if needed for warranty...
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Yes totally reversible easily by replacing the screws to their original places. This thing is easily disassembled.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

mayaman wrote:Yes totally reversible easily by replacing the screws to their original places. This thing is easily disassembled.
I was speaking about the ski googles mod though :D
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Hehe, that might be reversible but this is easier and really comfortable. Total time about 35 min :)
fsp48
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fsp48 »

I have been reading about mods on the HMZ and decided since I have kept mine since getting it when it was released that I was taking the plunge and doing a non reversable (unless I buy some plastic parts from Sony later) fix. My biggest problem was the fact that the nose bridge area was just too small. I'm 6'4" and had to try on at least a dozen dual lens scuba masks to find a comfortable fit that didn't touch the bridge of my nose with the hard frame of the mask. So I think a lot of us have the same problem with the HMZ. I did not feel like taking the whole thing apart again so the best way to cut plasic neatly in place is to use a solder iron and just melt cut it like a hot knife. The area behind the nose bridge is hollow other than having to be very careful when getting close to the lenses. Expand them out as wide as they will go. Now I can set it low and snug in perfect view without hurting my nose at all. Simple and effective. Before I did this I had to have the unit too far up and out to be mostly clear at the edges but now it sits pretty much like it would with the excellent ski mask mod and with the head strap mod down the center the stock housing is not bad at all anymore. Sony should make the center nose area on the T2 out of soft material to keep the area closed off but still allow the most space possible between the lenses and also have a much deeper arc in the bottom panel so it never touches any sized nose. I will post a pic soon as well. It might not be the neatest finish job right now but ergonomics are top priority in my book.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”