Hello all, this is my first post on these forums.
Very recently I've been looking into HMDs as an alternative as my computing paradigm has changed from desktop to complete 100% laptop usage. I have some plans to build RISC/ARM based 'headless' laptops with HMD as the primary display, but that is another topic altogether...
I'm looking for a 2d stereoscopic HMD much in the form-factor of the I-PORT 40 Plus
, VR Pro SXGA
, or the impressive Datavisor 80
(a member here has a pair, I envy that person).Application:
general purpose compting (general computing [vim, gdb, Midori, etc...] and gaming applications where hoz fov is typically 90 degrees.Specification Requirements:
- HDMI or DVI input (single would be highly preferable on driver board, but 2x would be acceptable)
- Low power consumption (single or double USB would be excellent)
- Total resolution: No less than 1280x960 (2x 640x480 ganged and collective image mirrored to both eyes) with ideal resolution being 1600x1200 (2x 800x600 ganged and collective image mirrored to both eyes
- Field of view: 60 degrees or greater
- Price: $550 or less than
- Other parameters/considerations: mount being relatively low profile to wear for extended periods (12+ hours), somewhat light weight, and ability to wear fully enclosed headphones
My initial idea is to find two OLED 640x480 microdisplays and gang them together on one controller board.
However, I'm having difficulty sourcing OLED displays at reasonable prices:Tek Gear: eMagin SVGA Color OLED XL / $825 ?per display?Digikey: Micron MT7DPVG2F-A1S 640x480 (VGA) FLCOS [Parallel RGB] / $66 per unit
I admit my ignorance in that I know nothing of FLCOS and it seems at this juncture it is nearly impossible to source required displays without canabalizing pre-existing HMD... unless I have missed something?