How to View Stereoscopic 3D Images in the MTBS Gallery

This website is for our members. Do you have some design ideas? Are there features you would like to see? What additions would drive this site forward? POST YOUR IDEAS HERE!
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

How to View Stereoscopic 3D Images in the MTBS Gallery

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

Discovered more user friendly software and have written a special guide on how to view S-3D images directly from the browser.

Read the guide here and post your thoughts.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/newsletter.cgi?news_id=61

If you know of a better way to do this with Coppermine galleries, we are all ears.

Regards,
Neil
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

hmm did everything as instructed keep getting this error:

viewPage: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIWebBrowserPersist.saveURI]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://viewsourcewith/content/viewsourcewithOverlay.js :: anonymous :: line 1027" data: no]
when right clicking and selecting sview when trying to view an image. resarting firefox does not help.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Yuri!

Couple things:

1. Are you using the latest version of sView? Check our download section - you need the updated version.
2. Are you able to run and view pages normally in sView?
3. Don't right click on links. Only right click on actual pictures. If you are right-clicking on java script, you will get an error because it is not seeing an actual picture.

Regards,
Neil
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Neil wrote:Hi Yuri!

Couple things:

1. Are you using the latest version of sView? Check our download section - you need the updated version.
2. Are you able to run and view pages normally in sView?
3. Don't right click on links. Only right click on actual pictures. If you are right-clicking on java script, you will get an error because it is not seeing an actual picture.

Regards,
Neil
1.I am using version 4.0.9. I just tried installing the latest version in the mtbs downloads however it says "the link to sview is valid, but for machine type other than the current machine".
2.yes
3.yes tried that.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Yuri,

I just tested the SVIEW in our downloads section, both directly linked from the guide and going directly into our downloads section. I'm able to download it no problem.

Your SVIEW version is much too low. Try getting it by clicking to it from the guide.

Regards,
Neil
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Neil wrote:Hi Yuri,

I just tested the SVIEW in our downloads section, both directly linked from the guide and going directly into our downloads section. I'm able to download it no problem.

Your SVIEW version is much too low. Try getting it by clicking to it from the guide.

Regards,
Neil
nono that's not the problem- the link works, however the installation won't launch and instead I get the message above
Neil

Post by Neil »

Ok. THere is another possibility. Hang on.

Regards,
Neil
Neil

Post by Neil »

Fixed!

The sView file was corrupt. Works fine now. Tested it myself.

Regards,
Neil
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

ok was able to install the latest sview. It works when opening an 3d image from the front page, however when I visit the gallery, open up the full sized image and try to view it I still get
viewPage: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIWebBrowserPersist.saveURI]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://viewsourcewith/content/viewsourcewithOverlay.js :: anonymous :: line 1027" data: no]
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

okay thanks to Neil I now have a solution

go to firefox, tools->add ons, select Dafizilla ViewSourceWith, go to the view tab and "In case of link with image" select "view image". Now works perfectly! Very convenient, rather than saving on desk top and renaming to jps
Neil

Post by Neil »

I added this correction to the guide. I knew I missed something! :P

Regards,
Neil
Basil
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: How to View Stereoscopic 3D Images in the MTBS Gallery

Post by Basil »

There was a post in Announcement section recently regarding the 3D photo sharing website that allows embedding stereo photos on third-party websites.
Here's the post: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11881
Here's the featured website http://phereo.com

It might be a brilliant option to make an add-on to phpBB engine to allow embedding from that Phereo website. As I got from the message author, he made such add-on to WordPress that does the same. Maybe he or some other gifted web-developer could do that for MTBS forum? Say some [phereo] tag or something.

Do you think it's possible?
Neil

Post by Neil »

Let me investigate.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I develop for the web. If you need an extra hand, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Basil
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Basil »

I wrote a short letter to Phereo, and they replied that they are ready to help with this integration.
Neil, do you think that might be useful?
Neil

Post by Neil »

It's better to have a solution that keeps the photos stored on MTBS and on our servers. If something should ever happen to Phero or an MTBS relationship with Phero, it would create a major problem for mtbs3D.com if we are somehow dependent on an external resource.

Let me learn more about what they do and have in mind.

Regards,
Neil
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

If you want to keep the photos on your site, you can also use the Flash based Stereo Viewer from Muttyan. That's what was used for "Le palais de l’Élysée en 3D", a serie of 3D images for the french equivalent to the White House.
Neil

Post by Neil »

We need something that interacts with the Coppermine gallery. We have some ideas in the works.

Regards,
Neil
Basil
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Basil »

Well, it's actually not about placing mtbs galleries onto phereo - it's just an easiest way to let users insert their stereo photos onto mtbs. Like the youtube tag. I think that's just a couple of days work at most, but you provide an efficient player capability to the website. And when you have your own player - you just create another tag - or even switch off Phereo tag.

They did a good job, I don't see why you need to duplicate it and why would they want to switch you off for there's a strait-forward capability of their website and no cheats.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Because then MTBS3D is dependent on them. If they do not survive as a site (Which could happen for many reasons, even being too successful and unable to handle the bandwidth cost), then all of the posts that linked to them are worthless.

For example, Photobucket. I had been putting all my online images with them for a long time, and eventually, News Corp. bought them for $50,000,000. Good site to trust, right? Well, the only reason they are still around is because News Corp. was taking a massive hit keeping them alive, much like MySpace. After I figured that out, I started moving all my pictures to (Of all places), Facebook. And guess what! Now they are selling the majority share of Photobucket off to some tiny company, where it will wither away and die almost for certain.

Always invest in the major players, or yourself. In Neil's case, the best choice is to bet on himself, and MTBS3D as a whole. If images hosted on MTBS3D go down, it is not really a problem, since at that point, the whole site would be gone. :P
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I could create a custom MTBS exclusive Flash plug-in pretty easily. It could support all variations of anaglyph, side-by-side (parallel, cross-eye), mirror, interlaced (horizontal, vertical), checkerboard and wiggle. Other formats, like page-flipping (Nvidia 3D Vision, edimensional), dual output (passive projector, some HMDs), iz3D, etc. could not be done with Flash at the moment. Let me know if there is any interest.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Can you do it in Coppermine?

Regards,
Neil
Basil
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Basil »

I got the point, but I don't see how these things conflict with each other.

Now MTBS has no way to display stereo photos other that a pre-converted plain picture.
There is an option that can be implemented in no time that would allow that.
Besides, there gonna be a longer project to make MTNS' own player.

There's no conflict making both I think - still, I'm afraid that doing a player of that kind is not an obvious task - it's not only about displaying but also about converting and storing and etc.

Imagine youtube suddenly refuses to support video embedding. Will it be good - No. Will it take down MTBS - certainly No.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Neil wrote:Can you do it in Coppermine?
Never used Coppermine before, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. They have a plug-in system, so it should be easy to add functionality. If I have some down-time this weekend I will look into this.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Ok! We have a stereoscopic 3D gallery now. Everything you need to know is right here.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “MTBS Website Ideas”