120Hz Passive 3d monitor SAMSUNG & REALD

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

120Hz Passive 3d monitor SAMSUNG & REALD

Post by Dilip »

Found some good stuff being cooked Up
with Samsung and Real D joint efforts

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?su ... 1305723330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-and-re ... -04122859/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think this is what we all waited for ever-since???
A FULL HD Passive 3D monitor has all ++ you ever wanted to be in good
3D monitor

FULL HD Image
NO RECHARGE required for glasses
LIGHT WEIGHT glasses (Though i doubt monitor must be bulky due to sandwich panels)
CHEAP GLASSES

VIEWING ANGLE??????????
well here i am hope full that there must be no restrain of vIEw ANgle
as there is no View Angle problems with shutter glass and in this case
its 120" Hz glass is in monitor itself

There was fair try by IZ3D but tech it self seem flawed there
I think this one should rock

Provided that good drivers be there to comply it.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: 120Hz Passive 3d monitor SAMSUNG & REALD

Post by cybereality »

Yes, this will be great when it actually comes to market. Hopefully we will see models come out in 2012.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

SOOO SAD to find out:

http://www.cdrinfo.com/sections/news/De ... wsId=31519" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/ ... R620111102" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://news.yahoo.com/reald-shares-slum ... 56240.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May be this Tech will not see daylight any soon!

FOR 3D'S SAKE CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN THEM
THEY HAVE PULLED OUT FROM EVOLUTION!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Someone will license this. How could they not?
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

So far no one still on farest horizon with this type of product

Is there any "Conspiracy Theory",that may link scent to active glass manufactures(Read NVIDIA)..... i sincerely doubt so..its there!!
Last edited by Dilip on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
elector
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by elector »

Dilip wrote:SOOO SAD to find out:
FOR 3D'S SAKE CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN THEM
THEY HAVE PULLED OUT FROM EVOLUTION!
Well, I believe these guys just look at short time financial aspects and riscs. It also might be that RealD is a bit too impertinently regarding license policy. I don't know. But I'm sure this is a step backwards. S3D will definitly do it. They can only try to retard the development ... finally, others would do the race.

By the way, iZ3D already has had such technology, hasn't they? But the reason why they stopped I fail to see. I think it's all about money ... and the consumer must face the music.

I'm personally waiting for a iZ3D-like monitor with full HD (better 1920x1200, 16:10 - i don't like 16:9, I'm not in the cinema) whose pricing doesn't exceed $500. If I read those things here, such a display will be long in coming. Well, lacking (actual) OpenGL S3D support is also an issue I'm angry about as well as the recusant behaviour of a bundle game developers towards making their graphics API (native) S3D capable (I can only talk about myself but if I would develop a 3D-game, I would go bright red with shame if it doesn't support a S3D solution - it would be just behind one's time).

If there are any news regarding this topic - post it here.
Definition: Stereophoby
A disease caused by the evil itself. You must be aware of these invalids - they become very aggressive if you want to demonocularate them with certain recommendations of trying S3D before saying it's useless and valuelessy performance waste. And be warned: they often crop up in a mob to incite each other. These insanes are only curable with excessive S3D overflood by forcing them in a straitjacket right ahead a tremendous 3D-Display, making them look through the needed glasses and driving separation to MAX!
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

@Elector
Thanks for your views!
So the spark has started

I want as many people to see this topic and express there views as possible.
May be some day someone from SONY,SAMSUNG or LG who is wise enough to
see beyond today will work on this product and it will see the market for 3D lovers like me.

About IZ3D well it suffered due to tech glitch as

1) IZ3D used sandwich panel concept (Dual VGA In) where two differnet
sandwiched LCDs display left and right images all the time. With polarizing
film on lCD to differntiate views. Then scene get filtered by viewer glasses
to give 3d image for left and right eye.

2) Polarization caused shift in color spectrum due to which
initial glasses were giving effect of color difference between two eyes.
(You can see old reviews)
3) They upgraded polarizers to minimize the color change effect but can not
completely stop it.
4) Their Drivers were in Novice Stage when they were full throttle in Monitor
Production.
5) When their Drivers reached mature stage they pulled out from monitor
producation due to financial or sales lack frustration reasons (Stop Loss applied).

Real D Tech is Different How:

Their monitor works on 120Hz where 120Hz panels its shuttering of two view (L/R) images at regular interval (120 Hz means 60 times Left view 60 times right view) so the technology is differnt here.May be they apply 2 120Hz panels in monitor 1 to display images 1 for polarisation in same synchronization (I hope i got it right!) then passive glasses to viewer for final output.

Lets wait for better time!
Sure it will come

If we can't see future Lets make one for us.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Iz3D was NOT full resolution passive. They used a proprietary format, so I don't know exactly how it works. But only one screen actually had full color and resolution. The other screen just encoded which pixels were sent to which eye. I imagine there is a lot of duplicated pixels (or close to it) which then could then send to both eyes. So the color bleeding and ghosting was actually a side-effect of the method, not a flaw in the implementation. Again, I am guessing this based on what I've seen and read, the actual method may be a little more complex.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Almost correct. The iz3d display is full resolution (1680x1050 for each eye). However as you say the problem lies in the actually technology. It's just not sufficient to split a proper amount of color to each eye which will cause ghosting. The technology is interesting but not good enough compared to other technologies.
I noticed a change in the functionality of the drivers (old school nvidia NeurOk and the iz3d-algorithm). The NeurOk options gives "colorinformation" which means the even subpixels seems regulated to the polarization panel while the iz3d driver polarizationpanel output is totally greyscale. It doesn't practically seem to make any bigger visual difference though.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

But how could it be full resolution per eye if only one panel has color information? Its still spiting the resolution up somehow.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Each pixel is regulated between the eyes. As said older drivers seems to regulate polarization on subpixel-level (front polarizing panel screenshot also contains colors) while newer drivers just seems to output a greyscale image. This would explain why the monitor ghosts a lot (as your intuition says a pixel can not be green in one eye and blue in the other if polarization is done on pixellevel...). Strangely i can't see any bigger visual difference using the old neurok option or newer iz3d-drivers. So: Maybe the display only polarizes on pixellevel which would explain why the monitor never can be ghostfree or maybe it's a similar panel as front panel (means subpixels included) and the tech simply just can not be better.
It's hard to find a good descriptuion by a quick search but this is pretty accurate: http://www.tru3d.com/technology/3D_Read ... ay%20Works
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Hi all,

Found really old review by Derek Wilson on Anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2779

His article's last two para putting here as it is- All Credit to Mr.Derek Wilson

"What might work better (excepting the reflectivity of course), is for iZ3D to come out with a 120Hz version that switches between 45 degrees and 135 degrees polarization every frame and displays the left and right images in alternating frames. This would mean essentially doing the same thing NVIDIA does but with polarization rather than blacking out the actual lens itself. The active switching could happen right in the monitor rather than on your face so we could keep the passive glasses. This might not be the best solution either, but the idea might combine the best of the available solutions out there.

But the bottom line is that we just can't recommend this product. We really want pervasive, great looking stereoscopic gaming, but it seems we're going to have to wait a little while longer as no one is offering a holy grail solution... yet."

So this tech of 120Hz passive monitor is really old one and
i Really DON'T KNOW WHY IZ3D did not release this kind of model and
preffered their much complicated (& Flawed) technology???

CAN ANY ONE FROM IZ3D HERE TO ANSWER THIS??
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Dilip wrote: CAN ANY ONE FROM IZ3D HERE TO ANSWER THIS??
Probably not because they have been nearly dead silent for months (even on their own forum).
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Found interesting Product::

Display Resolution: Stereoscopic - 1280 pixels x 1024 lines at 120Hz field rate

http://www.vrealities.com/21mx-sl.html

Funny In today date they still sell this OLD CRT stuff at whopping 3895US$

Why can't it be implemented in LEDs/OLEDs with decent price tag (For 24" model any one would gladly pay 500US$- of course LED not OLED)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I do wonder too why they can't do this with today's technology. This wasn't the only polarizer they made for CRTs ( http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13765 ).

Return to “3D Monitors”