Chatbox / Shoutbox Substitute

This website is for our members. Do you have some design ideas? Are there features you would like to see? What additions would drive this site forward? POST YOUR IDEAS HERE!
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Chatbox / Shoutbox Substitute

Post by iondrive »

Hi all,

If people wanted to use the chatbox and see that it's missing, I suggest we use this thread as an impromptu ad-hoc backup chatbox. Neil or some other administrator can just periodically delete all posts here but the most recent 20 (not including this one) and it will be almost the same as a chatbox. Let's try it.
Last edited by iondrive on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

What happened to the chatbox?

Post by iondrive »

What happened to the chatbox? I just did a search and don't see any announcements about it going away. Is it coming back? Does the website cost more if it has a chatbox? If so maybe we should just do something like this.

The reason I wanted to chat was just to say: Davy Jones, Rest in Peace. You left many people with fond memories and some very enjoyable music, bubblegum pop or not. If I could have given you something during your life, it would have been an electric shaving razor warmer. :)
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Chatbox Substitute

Post by Neil »

We were going to replace the chat box, but it wasn't really serving a purpose. More often than not, it was being mistaken as a search box. It's better to have people posting in the forums anyway. When there are useful hints or ideas shared in the chat box, they get lost with time.

Is it important to everyone? Or meh?

Regards,
Neil
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Chatbox Substitute

Post by iondrive »

Hi Neil,

Sorry to be away for so long.
Oh yeah, I remember people using the chatbox as a search box. Hah. I wonder if I ever did that in the beginning. Anyway, it's another good point that some things mentioned in the box would have been better in it's own thread. I guess I'll have to vote "meh" afterall or maybe put the box at the bottom of the page but it would look strange down there. Well, I guess let's just live without it for a while and see if anyone cares enough to find this thread. Maybe I'll use it once it a while for temporary time-sensitive talk. I hope the website is healthy and doing well (and the same goes for your baby that I missed the occasion of)

later,

--- iondrive ---
cybereality

Re: Chatbox / Shoutbox Substitute

Post by cybereality »

The chat would be great if people actually used it as a chat room. However that never happened. People would try, and maybe there would be a response hours later.

Might as well just start a thread if you have something worthwhile to say.
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by iondrive »

So I guess the same goes for voicechat? I searched for it but I found no substantial information. It was active for a while here right? Anyway, sometimes we just want to say "Hi" or something insubstantial that doesn't really warrant a new thread. PM is fine for that if it's just to one person. Then there's the "Off Topic Discussion" forum that might be good for things like that. Anyway, I did like having it there even though I rarely used it but I see you make good points. I hope you guys don't mind if I try to use this as a shoutbox once in a while.

Later
Neil

Post by Neil »

The TeamSpeak voice chat we can easily reactivate. That shouldn't be a problem.

Regards,
Neil
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Image hosting for site/forum linking

Post by iondrive »

Hi Neil,

image posting / hosting
I've been meaning to ask this question for some time. What's the deal with the forum under Gallery/"Image hosting for site/forum linking"/"hosting for forum"? I see there's a description: "Post here everything you want to link on the forum!". So when we want to put images on posts, are we supposed to put it in the gallery and then link to it? Or is it just for things we want to be in a gallery? It's fine to just post images inline, right?

Teamspeak / voicechat
I'm not really asking you to restart it. I was just wondering about it's history here. So you didn't get many people using it, right? I don't think I would really use it either. Do you remember Blaxxun's and Microsoft's VR-chat. Those were kind of fun but mostly when I come here, I want to get down to business reading and writing, not really chatting.

B-day contest
Great effort / idea with the birthday contest. I may not enter since I have too many games already but I may change my mind. It would be nice if you could get some 3DS units as prizes. Another prize could be priority tech support from some volunteer posters but that could be tricky. I guess I could use a Win7 OS or a 3dVision kit. I see they are finally cheaper on ebay.

Anyway, take it easy.

--- iondrive ---
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Iondrive,
image posting / hosting
You are welcome to post image inline. However, it's better to upload the images to the forum or the gallery rather than just linking because websites and articles go down, and the forum will look ugly if posts that are supposed to contain pictures suddenly have images missing. The gallery is an easy way to do bulk uploads - but the forum is fine too.

Teamspeak / voicechat
It's not a problem to start again. The old server was a pain because we had to reboot it, and the Teamspeak server would turn off, and it became a pain. The new server should run better. Would anyone out there use it? Do you think it would be fun?

B-day contest
Nintendo, you say:

http://mtbs3d.com/index.php?option=com_ ... Itemid=327

I've said too much already.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “MTBS Website Ideas”