The MTBS Hack Zone

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

The MTBS Hack Zone

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys,

I've been entertaining an idea, but I'm not sure how to do it or if it should be done. While MTBS is intended for gamers who are getting their feet wet in 3D, we have a lot of really advanced gamers here. When writing articles, we've been hesitant about sharing hacks and workarounds in formal articles because they go against the spirit of what the products were designed to do, and we're trying to be respectful to the industry players.

However, what are your thoughts of having a special "Hack Zone" section for MTBS? A place to share articles and talk about things in 3D that only the cream of the crop will understand. Articles for the warranty voiding mad scientist in all of us?

This would not be a section for illegal activities or computer piracy. This is just a place to do advanced things that most gamers shouldn't try unless the really know what they are doing, and they have no concern about voiding warranties, etc.

More thought needs to go into this, of course. I think it should be a private section of the site that members get in through demonstrated tenure and regular participation on the site. The only caveat is I'm not a hacker myself, so participants need to feel comfortable with sharing their own articles (we have a content management system) and really help build the section up.

Does any of this make sense to you?

Regards,
Neil
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: The MTBS Hack Zone

Post by Dom »

I think its a good idea somewhat, troubleshooting and workarounds, hacks. I never really use hacks though cause it always fails in the end for me.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Well, "hack" is a loose term.

Regards,
Neil
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Good idea IMHO... be nice to have a place for stuff like TrackIR patches, stuff like Nexus mod for Skyrim would fit here as well.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Isn't that what the DIY section basically is already?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

cybereality wrote:Isn't that what the DIY section basically is already?
Ditto.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Neil

Post by Neil »

Well, DIY is pretty buried. Also, MTBS won't succeed if the whole core of the site are super advanced users talking about things few people can relate to. However, if we took this DIY section, gave it its own committed article section - limited it to the tenured members (existing DIY users)...I don't know. Maybe this will create an enthusiasm to participate with the forums to gain access to this area and advanced access. It could be a way to make this section more exciting looking, and prevent making MTBS too advanced for MTBS' sake on the surface.

It's just an idea.

Regards,
Neil
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

DIY IMHO is for stuff people develop, tutorials, etc, its not really an area for posting hacks or info about hacks...?

Does this web board system support stickies? If so, we should probably use them more.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I'm in two minds in this.
On one side, I understand that you are trying to distance the site from the abusing of a product that some of us like to engage in. It seems that there are a lot of people here (myself included) who are not satisfied with just taking a product out of the box and using it within the manufacturers intended limits and this abuse could upset some manufacturers.
On the other hand, when people are looking for this kind of - I rather call is customization - we want those people to become engaged in the community as a whole. If segregating the 'Hacking' (customizing) from the rest of the site, I would hope that this information is easy to find for potential new members. There is also the fact that, while it may upset some manufacturers to see us abuse their products, it could be good for them to see what the 'amateur' (hard for me to say this since there are many here with skills that are hardly amateurish, and often I believe more competent then the 'professionals' creating products) consumer can achieve. My hope is that this could help the industry evolve so would like this information to be seen everywhere possible.

In short... I'm undecided.
Neil

Post by Neil »

As am I. To be clear, no manufacturer has ever told us we are doing something wrong or tweaking too close to the copper, etc. etc. I'm just wondering if there is a benefit to having a private section of MTBS that not everyone could get access to. A patch of 3D honor... :lol:

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Personally, I don't like the idea of a "private" or "members only" section of the site. The community is already niche as it is, no need to make it any smaller.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Ok - I guess we can scratch the idea.

Regards,
Neil
Okta

Post by Okta »

Neil wants to hide away us and our shameful deeds :lol:
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

cybereality wrote:Personally, I don't like the idea of a "private" or "members only" section of the site. The community is already niche as it is, no need to make it any smaller.

On the other hand, you could give each member a private section where they can chill out and not have anyone disturb them, also add special "premium" private sections with special features
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Neil

Post by Neil »

On the other hand, you could give each member a private section where they can chill out and not have anyone disturb them, also add special "premium" private sections with special features

You make it sound like MTBS has a private bar that serves drinks! That would be some trick! :D

Regards,
Neil
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Sign me in! Could you just be nice and check that i have roof above my head when throwing me out, thank you very much! :mrgreen:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

great virtual beer
*beer-smily not found*
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”