Acer H5360BD 720P HDMI 1.4

Share your experiences and learn about big-screen 3D gaming.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Acer H5360BD 720P HDMI 1.4

Post by Fredz »

xhonzi wrote:There are far more people in that thread that share that opinion. I haven't really heard anyone strongly express the opposite opinion- that they've used DLP link and... ANY other kind of glasses and not prefered the DLP link.
When I talked about reviews of DLP-Link problems I was not refering to this thread (which I didn't read), but to several threads on AVS and other sites (including MTBS3D). These come with images showing the difference between DLP-Link and non DLP-Link 3D, and they illustrate quite well the problems I talked about.
xhonzi wrote:At any rate, I don't have a dog in this fight. I just thought some of you would like to know what the masses of HD33 owners had experienced.
I just pointed out that the opinion of that one guy in this thread can't be extended as a general case. And even if a particular model of RF glasses is worse than DLP-Link, it doesn't mean that RF is inherently doomed. If properly implemented RF should be a lot better than DLP-Link, and better than IR too which have its own share of problems. That's pretty much the reason why 3D Vision Pro does use RF and not DLP-Link nor IR. Bluetooth is also another technology that is interesting and which is already used in several models of glasses (Samsung for example).
MrMark
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MrMark »

Yesterday I bought an Acer H5360BD which I believe is the discussed projector in this topic. So my setup is the following:

H5360BD
MacBook Pro
- 2 GHz Intel Core i7
- 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
- AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256 MB
- Max OS X Lion 10.7.2
Acer 3D Glasses (DLP Link)

I have two kind of movies to test:
1. Side-By-Side 3D MKV
2. 3D Blu Ray

My first question is the most important:
Is it possible to watch Side-By-Side MKV movies from my laptop in 3D on my projector?
If that is not possible, I can use BootCamp to run Windows, there I've been told I should use software like TotalMedia Theater and PowerDVD11 to get the side-by-side 3d effect. Is this true?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

You should be able to play side-by-side 3D movies under Mac OS X using Bino if you can force your display into a frame-packing mode (1280x1470).

See :
- http://bino3d.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- http://bino3d.org/doc/bino.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MrMark
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MrMark »

Thanks a bunch for the reply I am going to try and download it right now.

With display you mean the Acer H5360BD that I have right? Unfortunately I have no idea what frame-packing mode is, I need to check the manual on that too.
MrMark
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MrMark »

Ok I found something.

When connected to HDM 1.4, a new option will become available:
3D Format which has the options:
- Auto
- Frame Packing (yeeh)
- Top down
- Side by Side

However, my laptop is currently connected through VGA, so my guesses are I would need to figure out a way to connect my MacBook Pro through HDMi to the projector? Cause now the option is not available.

I do have AppleTV connected to the projector but my guesses are that won't be able to play 3d movies.
MrMark
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MrMark »

Wow this was INSANE easy! The problem indeed was with the VGA, this does not allow the projector to output a 3D image. However when I put my stereo movie on the AppleTV, I can choose side-by-side as the 3d Format and it all works!!! So awesome :D Thanks for the help.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Yes you need an HDMI connexion for frame-packing, it's part of the HDMI 1.4a specification. All you should need is to use a graphics mode with a 1280x1470 resolution at 60Hz.

With VGA you need a way to send content in page-flipping format to your projector. OpenGL quad buffer stereo provides such a feature and may be supported on your Macbook Pro. Just launch Bino to see if it's detected.

But an HDMI connection would probably be simpler and provide a better image quality.

EDIT : didn't see your last message, nice that you got it working. :)

Return to “3D Projectors”