My PS3 3D Gaming Experience

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: My PS3 3D Gaming Experience

Post by cybereality »

Real 3D on Ico/SotC, hmmm.... I may need a PS3 now.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Probably more than a year ago my grandson's told me I should play God of War I, God of War II, and God of War III. And so I did. They were right. Incredible games, but there in 2D. These 3 games are platformers. Not my first choice for game types. But these are great platformers and really show whats possible with this game type.

God of War I= 9.0
God of war II=9.5
God of war III=10 yup that right I give this 2D game a 10.

Now I did play the remastered in HD versions of I and II. I also, played them all on my HD Plasma.

So were you going with this Chief?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

The God of War: Origins Collection is a title that I got for $40 usd. From what I have read there's 2 titles here. One is called Chains of Olympus and the other is called Ghost of Sparta. I had a little bit of hesitation when buying. These are two games for the PSP hand held platform. They have added HD graphics and splashed some 3D on it. and whoolaaaa- a new PS3 game.
I decided to start this journey with Ghost of Sparta. I loaded it up and really didn't know what to expect at first. Going from a hand held game device to a 50" HD plasma just doesn't seem right.

So how does it look Chief? A lot like the re-mastered God of War I and II, but not as good as God of War III.

Well how's the 3D Chief? it is a public place so I'll keep it clean. Its ----ing great. Definately dual render with plenty of out of screen effects. I'll give the 3D effect a 9.0/9.25.

No really what do think about this game Chief? I think every time I fire up this game I have a big grin from ear to ear on my face. This game is incredible and I'm not all the way through it yet. Every night its been one jaw dropping experience after another. I am now Kratos the God of War.........

God of War: Ghost of Sparta 3D
10.......this is probably the most gaming fun I've had with my PS3.

Wow and I haven't even started the second game yet.

Peace
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Nice. You're really making me want to get a PS3.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I have completed the Ghost of Sparta. I'm now a few hours into Chains of Olympus. It too, looks superb in 3D. These games are just epic in scale. They also, have a high frame rate and superb fighting animation. The artistery and color pallets chosen really contribute to a rather "trippy" 3D experience. I'm going into my second week of great 3D gaming. I am Kratos ghost of sparta the God Of War...

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I finished Chains of Olympus. It is also, a superb game with great 3D. I finished it last Wednesday. I played about 3 weeks through these 2 titles. So after that much great game play, I really think my next game can be nothing but a let down...................drum roll please................................................................................and that game is........
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I know it might come as a suprise to some of you. And some of you may already know.

I'm Batman.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Batman.jpg
8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I heard that Batman game was really good. Can you comment on the 3D? Is it using the reprojection?
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Well we'll get right to the 3D. Unfortunately, It is the Trivoz reprojection 3D. I've got a couple of hours into it. The 3D is a huge let down after playing some God of War 3D. It is on the very light side. So I will declare the 3D is reprojection on the PS3 version. Could some one confirm if its dual render 3D on th PC version.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Batman Arkham City gets my wild shoot from the hip 3D rating of 6.5. Now the game play is fantastic. Also, it has superb art work, animation, music, and game control mechanics. If its in real 3D on the PC. I will stop this PS3 version and re-start with the PC version.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well the original Batman:AA was 3D Vision Ready, so it would assume the sequel would be too.
Vic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vic »

Disappointed that Arkham City has bad 3D though, I would've thought that'd be the best, especially considering they had some kinda anaglyph in Asylum.

I'm not surprised you gave Ico/SotC and the GoW collection a high 3D rating. The Prince of Persia HD trilogy had the best, deepest and most distinct 3D I've seen yet so I'm guessing all the other PS2 remakes would be just as good.

Anyway, I just tried Dungeon Defenders (PSN title), Ratchet All 4 One and Medieval Moves (move title).
Dungeon Defenders looks great in 3D but the angle just makes you feel a little bit uncomfortable, something disorienting about it.
Ratchet All 4 One is also an Insomniac title so the 3D is exactly the same as Resistance 3, which looks great BUT the resolution gets turned down SO much in those 2 games that it just looks damn ugly, it must be like 480p or 570p, so it's just not worth playing those games in 3D.
Medieval Moves also looks like they used a really low resolution so it also looks as bad as the last game I mentioned, but the 3D does work and it's alright.

So far, Socom 4 is the BEST 3D title this year. It's the ONLY game that not only keeps the resolution on 720p, but they also managed to keep the framerate high which no other game has been able to do. Definitely play Socom 4 if you want to see how 3D can and should be done.

Looking forward to hearing about Uncharted 3. From the preview videos that looks like it could be the best 3D game yet.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Thanks Vic,
I'm putting Batman in the play on the PC catagory. I've been incredibly busy with work recently and haven't had any gaming time. But Uncharted 3 is next in the batters box.

Cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Vic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vic »

also wondering how the 3D is on Crysis 1, it's on PSN now for $20usd. Hopefully it's better than the semi 3D Crysis 2.
PS3John
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by PS3John »

Thanks for your input man... Interesting concept, Interactive 3D gaming!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

And so I've finally started this one. I'm only a couple of hours into it. Its dual render 3D, and looks real nice. I'll have more to say once I get further into it. I have played the first 2 games and enjoyed them very much.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mayaman »

Chief, I've been 3D gaming on PS3 now for a year and have been loving it. Motorstorm and Wipeout on my HL67A Samsung DLP is pretty nuts. No ghosting on the DLP. :D
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Mayaman, Let us know how the HMD works out.

And so I'm still playing Uncharted 3. And I can say the 3D does look real good. I'm going to give it my shoot from the hip rating of 8.25. The game play is in line with the prior 2 games in terms of quality. A lot of effort was placed into making this game and it shows. It is one of the best looking 3D games on the PS3. I'm guestimating that I'm about half way through the game. So there's more excitment to come. It is a dual render game. Until next time.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mayaman »

Ok here goes,

Spent about three hours playing multiple games. Took about twenty five minutes to get the headset comfortable and set up with my PS3. Simple process.

Now I've had Vuzix glasses before and can easily say these blow those out of the water. The image quality is outstanding, really impressive. Colors pop and blacks are black. People nitpicking the picture IMO are really being unfair, it's fantastic.

FOV is the best I've experienced in an HMD.

Played a couple games in 3D. Motorstorm 3D rift, GT5, SuperStardust, Batman, Resistence 3, Wipeout.

Let me get this out right off, the 3D is EXCELLENT! Really great, no ghosting at all. Best 3D I've experienced.

Motorstorm and Wipeout is crazy, the sense of speed is ridiculous. It draws you in like no large display I've owned and as some of you know I have a surround display and several large projectors and DLP displays.

The one exception is GT5, while wonderful with the headset my triple screen kills it for immersion because of the 180 degree FOV. But with head tracking enabled this would even out, going to cut the tabs off my track ir and glue them to the HMZ for PC. Also going to use PS Eye for better immersion.

Here are the Pros

Stunning picture
Amazing 3D
Great great immersion
Large FOV *best I've played*
Makes games like Motorstorm, Wipeout, Stardust better. And not a little, but a ton.

Here are the Cons

Kind of front heavy, definitely getting the over the head straps.
Rear strap is uncomfortable at first, need to really adjust perfectly
Extreme edges are slightly blurry, not a big deal you have to adjust the pupil spacing but still not 100% removed.
Headphones are OK but I'll probably keep them retracted and use my Astro ear buds with mixamp.
When using for more than half an hour it puts a ton of pressure on your forehead, bottom line it need an overhead strap from front to back that places the weight on top of you head like a VFX or MRG, this would make it perfect.

OK should you buy? IMHO a definite yes. For the build quality, image quality, 3D, and compatibility with PS3 and hopefully PC games I play it's a winner in my book. You just need to find a way to get the weight transferred to the top of your head instead of your forehead. Modding it is 100% nessecity for the front heavy nature. Other than that it's awesome.

Hope this helps.

PS

I know some will come and poop on my opinion or be overly negative, that's your perogative but we've been waiting over 20 years for a product like this so embrace it. Good job Sony. I'll be getting the SMD 1080s as well and I'll compare.

Thanks

Return to “3D Console Gaming”