The Sony HMD is real!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: The Sony HMD is real!

Post by cybereality »

I'd be real careful buying anything from HK. You think you are at a Sony store, but then it ends up being a Phony store! LOL!
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

Canada is supposed to get it shipped on monday.(which is just plain old odd) Someone says they just charged credit card.
Guess we will see but its just strange canada will be first place to get it.

Everyone is getting excited about this new 11/11/11 release date but I still don't know. Just seems odd they dont have enough for japan(which is where sony is focused at and their money is still good :lol: ) yet we are getting them. The demand in japan was so great they stopped taking orders till they could fill out all pre-orders. If they do ship them I have a feeling a lot of people are going to get empty stockings.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

cybereality wrote:I'd be real careful buying anything from HK. You think you are at a Sony store, but then it ends up being a Phony store! LOL!
I think you can trust the big official sony stores :) but i cant find any info on release date for the official sony stores in HK :/
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

CyberVillain wrote: I think you can trust the big official sony stores :) but i cant find any info on release date for the official sony stores in HK :/
Yeah, I know. Just trying to make a joke here.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Hong Kong is fine but I would watch out for those shop in Mainland China. A new word for you to learn: ShanZhai (in mandarin).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanzhai" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't surprise if Sony is successful with HMZ-T1 and we start to see 640x480 rip off HMD from China that look like HMZ-T1 with headtracker (might be fake wiimote+ controller glue to the HMD).

They even have fake artist (those lookalike) to do commercial and perform fake concert in rural area.
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

Knock offs aside. I think best bet is pre-ordering then picking up over counter. They cant fill out all pre-orders as of now. Not sure how quickly assembly would be for next batch but this is def. a high labor item to put together so I am not sure how quickly they can make more. Sony rep said this is a very specialized item.
Also I did a quick search on sony china and its not listed as available for pre-order or even a product page. So im not sure it will be available in that time frame. Its a very niche item and they have to update everything with chinese/mandarin. So I really dont think it will be available by then but may get lucky.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Sony underestimated the demand for this product hence in soup over fulfilling the orders.....this 'd give them some idea that the product is a huge sucess :lol:
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

pierreye wrote:Hong Kong is fine but I would watch out for those shop in Mainland China. A new word for you to learn: ShanZhai (in mandarin).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanzhai" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't surprise if Sony is successful with HMZ-T1 and we start to see 640x480 rip off HMD from China that look like HMZ-T1 with headtracker (might be fake wiimote+ controller glue to the HMD).

They even have fake artist (those lookalike) to do commercial and perform fake concert in rural area.
haha, Yeah, its a real Chinese tradition :D
I think you are safe even in China if you stick to the Sony stores listed on the Sony store sites.
So do you guys think I have any change of picking this up in Hong Kong or should I order one from the Swedish Sony store site and get it much, much later because Sweden is a piss sized country that gets everything after everybody else?
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Sony's 0.7-inch OLED microdisplay packs 720p resolution

Post by Silversurfer »

By Joe Pollicino posted Nov 5th 2011 1:12AM
Say howdy to Sony's ECX332A! Excited? We'll, if you're into shooting DSLR video using electronic viewfinders, head-mounted displays, you might be. This new OLED microdisplay measures in it a mere 0.7-inches, managing an HD resolution of 1280 x 720. As understood by OLED-Info, it features "the same white OLED and color-filters architecture" as the ECX331A (far left), which is the 0.5-inch, 1024 × 768 XGA variant Sony's implemented inside of the EVFs found on its NEX-5N and A77 cameras, among others. Notably, it'll likely be a pleasure to look through with a brightness level rated at 200 cd/m2 and a peppy response time of 0.01ms. There's no word on what future Sony shooters we can expect to find the ECX332A in, but if you're curious for more details -- and well-versed in kana -- hit that source link below.

Update: As it turns out, this isn't exactly a new EVF-purposed display -- it's apparently the microdisplay being used twice over inside of Sony's HMZ-T1 head-mounted 3D visor. You'll find further clarification at the "more coverage" links below.

[Thanks, Aaron]
OLED-Info
Sony (PDF) (Japanese)

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/posting.php ... 20&t=13674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was just wondering, having read the comments in this thread that these are not the long life standard OLED micro-displays, would it be easy to replace them in the future ourselves DIY?
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

http://www.examiner.com/gadgets-in-los- ... -3d-viewer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to this article if you pre-ordered BEFORE october 26th you are getting this week.If you pre-ordered after it is unknown when next supply will be in.

According to what people said about the OLEDs in hmz-t1 it should last 10,000+hours. So should be a non-issue. However those look very easy to replace. Like a few screw points and a data ribbon.
Aeroflux
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Aeroflux »

Can you provide a link for 10,000 hours? Blue Oleds last longer than that at 14,000 hours, and White OLEDs are supposed to last quite longer than that...the wildcard is the brightness/how much electricity is used to drive them. At my current projector use...that would amount to a little less than six years.
Tyns
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tyns »

GDI

Good news for the rest of you, I guess, since you know they're processing orders.
While processing your order SW11092000351, we were unable to obtain authorization on your credit card. Potential reasons include:

The account number you entered is invalid.
The street address and zip code you entered do not match what is on file with your credit card provider.
SonyStyle.com does not accept credit cards from institutions that do not participate in the Address Verification Service (AVS).
SonyStyle.com does not accept credit cards from international institutions.
Please note the item(s) below have been cancelled:

Product: HMZT1
Product Description: Personal 3D Viewer
Quantity cancelled: 1
Tyns
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tyns »

Just re-placed my order. Site says in stock, shipping tomorrow. Only $21 for 2 business day delivery? Yes, please.
unc2k3
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by unc2k3 »

If it matters to anyone, I also received an updated email stating the HMZ-T1 would be shipping 11/11. However, I just checked my online account with Sony Style and my order status has been updated to "Ready for Shipment" with an estimated ship date of 11/8/11. I pre-ordered on 10/30 so I guess that throws the debate out the window regarding those that pre-ordered after 10/26.

I actually just checked my bank account to find that Sony has now charged my card. I would have to assume the product will ship tomorrow as stated. I will keep everyone updated.
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

The earliest online pre-orders from the Sony site are starting to ship out, check the AVS thread. Hope the first wave is smooth.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

i do not know if this has been covered, are the earpiece detachable? I want to be able to use my old trusty Sennheiser PC350 Headset
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

It was said earlier ear pieces are not detachable and no info about it being so in the pdf. I do not think so.
Even if you were to break off headphone pieces off the hmz-t1 that headset you have listed that you use is WAY to big to use with the hmz-t1. Sorry.
Last edited by eqzitara1 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

Not an audiophile but I generally use headphones that are $50-100 range. So it will probably be ok for me. I think only option for people that want better audio is to actually modify the hmd(void warranty). Or earbuds.
I will see how it goes. I am def. selling my sennheiser 555's. Will wait to see if I need to pick up some earbuds though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0621352188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The headset included on the HMZ-T1 is high quality 5.1 surround sound, and is probably better than what most people are using. Unfortunately the demo unit I tried had somewhat busted headphones but, even in their half-working state, I could see the potential for big bass and loud sounds (great for movies and gaming). Not sure how they would compare to something like the Psyko Carbon (which I spent $200 on), but they should suffice for most uses.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:The headset included on the HMZ-T1 is high quality 5.1 surround sound, and is probably better than what most people are using. Unfortunately the demo unit I tried had somewhat busted headphones but, even in their half-working state, I could see the potential for big bass and loud sounds (great for movies and gaming). Not sure how they would compare to something like the Psyko Carbon (which I spent $200 on), but they should suffice for most uses.
seems cyber - you tried HMZ-T1 already albeit the unit 'd earphones broken - right ?

1)can you tell are the optics of HMZ-T1 better than z800.....?

2)to me it seems bulky in the league of headplay......what do u think cyber ?

3)is the image better than z800 or headplay by any chance...in fact i prefer to rate headplay above z800 for it's image quality[almost HD-LCD] not sure if HMZ-T1 is by any miracle better than headplay [image comparison only] ?

4)does it strain eyes after 15-20 min on HMZ-T1 ?
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

He wrote a post earlier which addresses many of ur questions, check his post history. People viewed for many hours and havent complained about eye strain. However demo's only were low depth/convergence. You were hear a lot tomm. they just shipped em. Getting tommorrow.

Its hard to compare to z800 since like no1 bought one.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

ancjob wrote: 1)can you tell are the optics of HMZ-T1 better than z800.....?
The optics are very good on the Sony. The image was pretty big, much bigger than Vuzix, but the screen was in clear focus throughout. The edges were nice and crisp, not blurred like you get sometimes on other headsets. The slider on the bottom helps with this, I think the bad reviews were because people didn't understand how to adjust it.
ancjob wrote: 2)to me it seems bulky in the league of headplay......what do u think cyber ?
It was a little bulky, but not horrible. Certainly it cannot compete with Vuzix in mobility (the 1200VR weighs 3 ounces). But, I wore it for maybe 5 minutes, and I did not have any neck strain. However the head straps were worn out, so I could not get a perfect fit. Because of this, some of the weight rested on my nose, and this was not comfortable. But I think with new straps, it would have been fine. I also hope Sony sells replacement straps, because they really are as cheap as they look in the pictures.
ancjob wrote: 3)is the image better than z800 or headplay by any chance...in fact i prefer to rate headplay above z800 for it's image quality[almost HD-LCD] not sure if HMZ-T1 is by any miracle better than headplay [image comparison only] ?
I've never seen the Z800 or Headplay, but I can tell you almost surely the picture quality on the HMZ-T1 will blow them away. This thing was on the level of a nice quality HDTV. Of course it was not 1080P, and some stuff out there is still better (for example, high end plasma) but it certainly looked better than my Samsung 720P LCD HDTV which I got 5 years ago. This is unquestionably an HD display.
ancjob wrote: 4)does it strain eyes after 15-20 min on HMZ-T1 ?
I don't know, I only tried it for 5 minutes at a time (twice, but with a break in-between) and only in 2D. I did not have any discomfort, but I am also used to using HMDs, 3D glasses. etc. But I guess you are too, so I don't think it will be a problem. It seemed very comfortable to look at the screens. If anything the weight would start bothering you before your eyes.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Got this from Sony Hong Kong
Thank you for your e-mail via Info-CS.

With regards to your concern, please be advised that there are no information on the exact date of release for the Personal 3D Viewer model HMZ-T1 in the Hong Kong region at the time of this email's preparation. However, information indicate the release in the region were already planned.
As I understand it the official release date in Hong kong as passed but that its been delayed, very strange written mail :P
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:
ancjob wrote: 1)can you tell are the optics of HMZ-T1 better than z800.....?
The optics are very good on the Sony. The image was pretty big, much bigger than Vuzix, but the screen was in clear focus throughout. The edges were nice and crisp, not blurred like you get sometimes on other headsets. The slider on the bottom helps with this, I think the bad reviews were because people didn't understand how to adjust it.
ancjob wrote: 2)to me it seems bulky in the league of headplay......what do u think cyber ?
It was a little bulky, but not horrible. Certainly it cannot compete with Vuzix in mobility (the 1200VR weighs 3 ounces). But, I wore it for maybe 5 minutes, and I did not have any neck strain. However the head straps were worn out, so I could not get a perfect fit. Because of this, some of the weight rested on my nose, and this was not comfortable. But I think with new straps, it would have been fine. I also hope Sony sells replacement straps, because they really are as cheap as they look in the pictures.
ancjob wrote: 3)is the image better than z800 or headplay by any chance...in fact i prefer to rate headplay above z800 for it's image quality[almost HD-LCD] not sure if HMZ-T1 is by any miracle better than headplay [image comparison only] ?
I've never seen the Z800 or Headplay, but I can tell you almost surely the picture quality on the HMZ-T1 will blow them away. This thing was on the level of a nice quality HDTV. Of course it was not 1080P, and some stuff out there is still better (for example, high end plasma) but it certainly looked better than my Samsung 720P LCD HDTV which I got 5 years ago. This is unquestionably an HD display.
ancjob wrote: 4)does it strain eyes after 15-20 min on HMZ-T1 ?
I don't know, I only tried it for 5 minutes at a time (twice, but with a break in-between) and only in 2D. I did not have any discomfort, but I am also used to using HMDs, 3D glasses. etc. But I guess you are too, so I don't think it will be a problem. It seemed very comfortable to look at the screens. If anything the weight would start bothering you before your eyes.

thanks for replying to my queries....seems like this will challenge headplay and z800 both
z800 is superb viz-a-viz optics [colors overly balanced,low contrast] only and headplay for it's image only[optics are so-so and unit bulky]....so i guess HMZ-T1 'd be good not too overly weighty and at the same with great image quality......

just wondering if the colors on HMZ-T1 will be rich,vibrant with great contrast to truly replace hd-LCD...so far headplay has been my savior....and now Sony.....hope is on....
Silversurfer

Sony HMZ-T1 3DTV Headset Review: An Amazing Toy [3D]

Post by Silversurfer »

I've posted the comprehensive gizmodo review article in our "user contributed stories section". Don't worry that guy from gizmodo loved it with a few caveats.

Here is the link:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

mayaman

Post by mayaman »

The comfort issue is easily remedy. I am going to put a strap that runs from front to back over the top of my head. Problem solved. My old VR3 was the most comfortable HmD ever and that top bar was awesome. Absolutely no weight on anything but the top of my head, which i didn't notice. It was like wearing a hat. I highly recommend people to do this mod.
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

mayaman wrote:The comfort issue is easily remedy. I am going to put a strap that runs from front to back over the top of my head. Problem solved. My old VR3 was the most comfortable HmD ever and that top bar was awesome. Absolutely no weight on anything but the top of my head, which i didn't notice. It was like wearing a hat. I highly recommend people to do this mod.
Post pics when you do it! :mrgreen:
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

AVS has an Owner's thread now, with pics. :mrgreen:
Zodiakos
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zodiakos »

Mine just arrived! I've had literally only about 5 minutes to try it out - I can tell why the people who only had a few seconds to mess with it thought it was blurry. They obviously didn't adjust it at all.

Once I got it working, I plugged it into my computer immediately, and was presented with my full desktop. I was shocked - it looks GOOD. Like, really good. I was expecting something a little harder to read, but everything on my 1080p desktop was really legible. I could definitely see myself using these for everyday computer use/work, let alone playing games with. I have yet to test the 3d functionality because I haven't had any time yet.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

mayaman wrote:The comfort issue is easily remedy. I am going to put a strap that runs from front to back over the top of my head. Problem solved. My old VR3 was the most comfortable HmD ever and that top bar was awesome. Absolutely no weight on anything but the top of my head, which i didn't notice. It was like wearing a hat. I highly recommend people to do this mod.
Very true. I am doing the same on my PR4, and while it actually weighs a bit less than the HMZ-T1, it makes all the difference in the world.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Zodiakos wrote:Mine just arrived! I've had literally only about 5 minutes to try it out - I can tell why the people who only had a few seconds to mess with it thought it was blurry. They obviously didn't adjust it at all.

Once I got it working, I plugged it into my computer immediately, and was presented with my full desktop. I was shocked - it looks GOOD. Like, really good. I was expecting something a little harder to read, but everything on my 1080p desktop was really legible. I could definitely see myself using these for everyday computer use/work, let alone playing games with. I have yet to test the 3d functionality because I haven't had any time yet.
Zodiakos , plz do post a comprehensive review with pics when you are done testing it thoroughly
by any chance you do not own emagin z800 or headplay - do you ?
Zodiakos
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zodiakos »

I've never actually used an HMD before, although I've had an interest in purchasing a Vuzix for awhile. I was unable to mainly for financial reasons, although, to be honest, I've always felt like I would have immediate buyer's remorse after using them and realizing the video quality wasn't what I was used to. I can definitely state that I was not disappointed at all by the HMZ-T1 display, in fact, I was shocked at how good it was. Perhaps I would have been equally surprised with other HMDs, I can't say.

It probably won't be useful for me to provide pics (since any pictures taken of the screens are going to be very blurry due to the optics) although some people on the AWS forum have already taken some unboxing pics with a few of the screens. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1371946" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Ancjob, I will have a unit of my own in the next week or two from my work. I own a Z800 and a Headplay, I can do a comparison for you.
Silversurfer

Epson’s Transparent Video Glasses Let You See the Judgmental

Post by Silversurfer »

here's a link to Epson see-through headset offering:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13946" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It never rains but it pours, like London buses when you expect 1, 3 come at the same time :-)

Can anyone hazard a guess how this will compare with the Sony offering, should I go ahead and order the Sony today or wait for Epson's offering, help?
Last edited by Silversurfer on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

:D

Just received mine today as well. Had a chance to mess around for an hour or so with Uncharted 3 and Ghost of Sparta in 3d on the PS3. The quality and FOV are jaw dropping (you really can read the PS3 menus in 1080p mode), but I haven't been able to get mine adjusted for my big huge head quite right so far. The smaller forehead support puts too much weight on the nose, and the middle size one doesn't get the screen quite close enough for perfect focus. More fiddling will be required.

I can't wait to try this with 3dVision and IR head tracking! Will post more this weekend.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Just called 2 of the 3 sony shops in my home town of Perth and as expected neither of the staff i talked to have heard of the HMZ-T1.

#%$#%$ i hate sales staff.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
fraherd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fraherd »

Yeah same in Melbourne, they have no idea. I didnt think this is going to make it to Australia. Best chance I think is to follow ebay or get someone in JPN or the UK to send it over. Found this one for sale but for some reason he wont ship international
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0753109152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone in the UK, JPN or US wants to make some money let me know I'll be happy to fix someone up for their trouble
3D Visualisation Artist
http://www.FraherDesign3D.com.au
Okta

Post by Okta »

I probably wont get one of these since i sit 36 inches from a 40 inch 3d TV so i think its a bout the same FOV and it doesn't seem enough.

Will wait until someone tests the Sony out with a 360 degree head tracker and see how immersive it is.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
fraherd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fraherd »

AVS forums have started an owners thred, looks like a few people have received theirs. All sounds positive

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... st21189916" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3D Visualisation Artist
http://www.FraherDesign3D.com.au
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Its awesome that people are actually getting units in their hands. So far things sound really positive, which matches my initial impression after testing it. I certainly need to have one of these ASAP, I feel like I am missing out already. But I honestly don't need this many gadgets. Feel like a fool sometimes stockpiling all these expensive toys, with so little time to actually play with them.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”