GoW3? Tron? Captain America? Thor? Crysis? BLOps? etc.

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
xhonzi
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

GoW3? Tron? Captain America? Thor? Crysis? BLOps? etc.

Post by xhonzi »

I'm surprised to not see any comments here about the many console games that now support stereoscopic 3D. I realize a majority of the people here are PC gamers by definition since the console world has been very far behind when it comes to 3D... but still I thought I would find some hubbub.

As a reformed PC gamer (I jumped ship in 2003) I've been a little tempted to go back to my PC roots to enjoy some 3D stuff... in fact, I'm still tempted. The idea of BioShock, Oblivion, FallOut 3, Deus Ex, etc... in 3D is very tempting....

But I'm just too accustomed to the convenience of consoles. And the cost.

But that's not what I came here to say. I'll be replacing my PJ soon, and as long as my plans don't change in the next month, I'll be snagging an Optoma HD 3300. I have a small selection of 3D BDs and a handful of console games that support standard stereoscopic modes.

And I'm really looking forward to catching the 3D conversion of Adywan's Star Wars revisited... but that's another thread in another forum.

(Having a really hard time staying on target- )

Once I get set-up, I'll try to be good at dropping by and giving some thoughts on the 3D quality of these console games.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: GoW3? Tron? Captain America? Thor? Crysis? BLOps? etc

Post by cybereality »

A lot of those console games use fake 3D (reprojection basesd on the z-buffer AKA 2D+depth). Its not anywhere close to what you get on a real 3D system on the PC.
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

I've heard that's true in the case of several of them. I know Crysis 2 for sure. It would be nice to keep a comprehensive list of that here.

I'm also unspoiled by "good 3D" from a PC so far, so I hope to be more or less satisfied either way.

In light of that, I'm sure my "oh wow!"s will be not very objective or useful for most of you old timers (said with respect) here, but as the convenience factor is going way up, there are some sacrifices that will be made (PC level control, options, flexibility and quality in some cases) and a new crop of enthusiasts will appear who are happy with the tradeoff even if those of you accustomed to the incovenience and the control (and quality) are not.
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

And many apologies to Chiefwinston's PS3 thread. I've been poking in there and see that he's put a lot of thoughts and reactions down. I just expected to see them in separate threads is all.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Hi xhonzi,
Its funny but I didn't have any intentions or plans when writing the PS3 thread. And I still don't. I could rename it "The ramblings of an insane man". but then it might scare the young ones. Please contribute in any way you feel like. I'm very interested in Gears of War 3. I bought copies for my grandsons. But I don't want to ask to use there xbox 360's yet. They seem real attached and protective of their 360 systems. I have seen Gears 3 in 2D. And well its fantastic- In my opinion. I'm looking to rent Captian America and Thor at some time in the future. I'm currently angling to Batman: Arkham City & Uncharted 3 for the near term. It looks like we will have a rather healthy choice for 3D console gaming through the fall. There's going to be many to choose from.

http://www.3dtested.com/3d-ps3-games-list/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This seems to be the best actively updated list I have found. And there are many I plan to throw in my PS3's drive.

I look foward to your contributions if you choose to.

Peace 8-)
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

Would that I could, chief. I'm still stumbling get 3D setup.

Return to “3D Console Gaming”