Carl Zeiss Cinemizer OLED

PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Carl Zeiss Cinemizer OLED

Post by PalmerTech »

The Cinemizer is still going to come out. The FPV scene is still very interested in it, and the HMZ-T1 is useless for them.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Vuzix and Zeiss still have a market. For example, I don't think anyone will try to take the HMZ-T1 on a plane, or on a bus/car ride. However with, for example, a Vuzix Wrap you could easily use your iPod and watch videos on the go. Different markets.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Vuzix and Zeiss still have a market. For example, I don't think anyone will try to take the HMZ-T1 on a plane, or on a bus/car ride. However with, for example, a Vuzix Wrap you could easily use your iPod and watch videos on the go. Different markets.

yeah! cyber you are right as cheapo alternatives they will be there.......always :D

what stops vuzix from providing 800x600 screens with fov 40-46 and decent optics....fatsharks have done that albeit cheap optics and screens - people will pay to get it if the set were really good....

if the z800 used LCOS instead of oleds keeping the design and everything the same - i'd have bought it for usd$1799 anytime...
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

Any new info on the Cinemizer OLED??
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
greenlantern
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by greenlantern »

Check out this video that I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdESUt_L ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They seem to be using the cinemizer oled with a custom headtracker. It looks like the graphics come from the cryengine.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

when is this damm tihing being released....?
since the announcement from Sony - it seems cinemizer have lost their tongue...not a word....wtf! :cry:
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Probably because nothing has changed. They are not planning to launch til January, and Carl Zeiss has never been a company to hype their products. :P
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

greenlantern wrote:Check out this video that I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdESUt_L ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thats one seriously ghetto headtracker!!!! But it looks like it works good, hope it makes it into the final product (and hopefully much smaller).
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:Probably because nothing has changed. They are not planning to launch til January, and Carl Zeiss has never been a company to hype their products. :P
i have a feeling that sony has wrecked their plans....they'd thought to price it 600-800 usd but with sony HMDs specs at usd799 i guess they gave up to SONY.....coz they know they will not be able to compete at this price [usd799]....

Sony 'd have released this product say post oct'12...guess they really stirred up the HMD scene big time! no wonder VUZIX will be closing it's consumer div. soon :cry:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Honestly, the Sony HMZ-T1 is not the be-all-end-all of HMDs. There are lots of applications that require a more mobile device, or with a built-in headtracker, diopter/IPD adjustments, see-through displays, etc. all things Sony is not providing. There is lots of room for companies like Zeiss and Vuzix to innovate and differentiate their product. Not to mention that the Vuzix Wrap 1200 and the Cinemizer OLED should retail for $500, a full $300 cheaper than Sony.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Honestly, the Sony HMZ-T1 is not the be-all-end-all of HMDs. There are lots of applications that require a more mobile device, or with a built-in headtracker, diopter/IPD adjustments, see-through displays, etc. all things Sony is not providing. There is lots of room for companies like Zeiss and Vuzix to innovate and differentiate their product. Not to mention that the Vuzix Wrap 1200 and the Cinemizer OLED should retail for $500, a full $300 cheaper than Sony.

cyber - it's NOT the price but what the consumers is paying for what he's getting ....
it's like i will not pay usd600 for non HD wrap1200[low display Q, poor optics but portable] in the same way i will not pay usd1799 for z800[cheap non HD oleds,quality so-so,great optics,portable].....a perfect balance is sony HMD[HD oleds] for usd799....had it not been i'd have bought wrap1200 without a hitch....[as i really require quality ,portability etc is secondary]....

what we are paying for is to 'watch/Play' using the headset that 'd have quality...portability etc comes secondary...[at least to me]

seems vuzix,cinemizer as cheaper options...only compared with sony....and sony says there will be more of sony HMD incarnations to follow.....seems sony will be in this big time....
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Zeiss have just sent out an email with a question about what kind of connectivity people would prefer for the new Cinemizer:
cinemizer OLED connectivity

in our previous newsletter we mentioned that we perform an online survey together with GfK around the cinemizer OLED. The survey has been finished successfully and the feedback has shown very interesting results. Candidates often asked for the connectivity they would need for their application. Therefore, we would like to ask you for your feedback. Which of the connectivity is most important for you and your application with the upcoming cinemizer OLED?
We created an online survey with a single question where you are able to rate out of 6 different connectivity possibilities your favourite(s) you would need for the cinemizer OLED and your application(s).
Please click on the survey link.
http://www.zeiss.de/C1257576004518A2/al ... 3600520FF3
We are looking forward to your feedback!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Thanks ShawmK. I chose HDMI and DVI.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I chose HDMI and VGA, since DVI to HDMI adapters are only a few dollars. Plus, composite/component to VGA converters are very cheap, while converters that output HDMI are rather expensive.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:I chose HDMI and VGA, since DVI to HDMI adapters are only a few dollars. Plus, composite/component to VGA converters are very cheap, while converters that output HDMI are rather expensive.
yeah me too! same reason you quoted , palmer

HDMI - the best
VGA - a fallback option at least reliable...

btw - where they sourcing the OLEDs from.....not from eMagin at least....any idea?
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

They are making the OLEDs themselves.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:They are making the OLEDs themselves.
zeiss making OLEDs on their own - i can't believe it!

where did u read this from , palmer ?
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Woops! Totally spaced there! I thought we were talking about the HMZ-T1 for some reason. :P This is why I should not try to post on the internet when I am tired.

I do not know where they are getting their OLEDs. I could guess at a few places, but it is pure speculation at this point.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:Woops! Totally spaced there! I thought we were talking about the HMZ-T1 for some reason. :P This is why I should not try to post on the internet when I am tired.

I do not know where they are getting their OLEDs. I could guess at a few places, but it is pure speculation at this point.

i will be careful before omitting to buy this cinemizer to be absolutely sure that they are not sourcing it from eMagin......

if it's emagin then i will not hunt this HMD down at all....emagin makes 2 types of oleds one they are using for z800 and the other oled-XL which i believe they sell to millitary/ industry....most probably it will be the same as oled on z800....for this hmd but again i am speculating...
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

The Cinemizer Oled will be shown again at CEBIT in it's current state according to their Facebook site.
Mit dem Cinemizer OLED kann die neuste Version der Videobrille Cinemizer der Carl Zeiss AG, die erst im Mai 2012 auf den Markt kommt, getestet werden. Zusammen mit dem gemeinsam mit dem HSG-IMIT e.V. entwickelten Headtracking, (das einen 360 Grad Rundumblick in der virtuellen Welt ermöglicht), bietet sie eine wichtige Plattform für bspw. innovative Serious Games- Anwendungen.

With the Cinemizer OLED, the newest version of the video goggles cinemizer from the Carl eiss AG, wich will be available as recently as in may, can be tested. Together with the from HSG-IMIT developed headtracking ( wich enables 360° roundview in the virtual world ) it offers a important platform for e.g innovative serious Games- applications.
http://www.retter.tv/de/feuerwehr.html? ... gnis=10917" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
greenlantern
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by greenlantern »

I actually tried the HMZ-T1 and I musst say, it has a nice FOV, but it weighs a ton and is pretty uncomfortable to wear. It took me like 15 min to actually get it to fit right, and then it started being uncomfortable after like 10 mins.
I think I'll wait for the OLED to be available.

Also, Looks like the guys from this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdESUt_L ... re=related
really are working together with Zeiss!

At least they will be at the CeBIT together introducing what they call the "Terminal".
It appears they are using the OLED and a headtracker to walk around in the cryengine.
Unfortuneatly they are using it for architecture... I'd love to see one of those in an arcade to play a FPS! :)

I guess the Headtracker has shrunk too, since the giant blobb in the old video is not in the product pictures.
Lets hope they did get it nice and small and it will actually be available for 100$.
Then all you need is a good mouse emmulator and you can play every game!
joe75
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by joe75 »

Well,

I have tried the sony HMZ-T1 at the sony store and was pretty unimpressed.
That damn thing is not portable and uncomfortable , so in my opinion not better than having a 27" LCD Screen except for 3D crosstalk.

With the cinemizer Oled i was sure this would put the sony to shame.
So i was really expecting the cinemizer oled to replace the emagin Z800 (800x600) that collects dust (so to speak).

First Cinemize Oled was rumored to be 720p, shortly after 540p,now it would be much lower...

If this is true i do hope that Carl Zeiss make it somewhat very affordable to compensate the lack of HD, if not this could be a big failure
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Ziess have now updated their website with details about the Cinemizer OLED:

http://cinemizer.zeiss.com/cinemizer-ol ... -oled.html

Plus, they are now taking preorders, and there are more technical details here:

http://easy-entertain.com/shop/en/cinem ... /index.php

The news keeps getting worse. They are now listing the FOV as 30 degrees. That makes it much smaller than the display of the Vuzix 1200; it's even smaller than the display on the older model Cinemizer.

I have written to Zeiss to ask if that number is really correct; I'll let you know what they say.

I can't believe they've kept us waiting for a year and a half, only to release this!
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Lets face it, the Cinemizer has been kept alive as a HMD alternative by nothing more than wishful thinking. They have not released any specs or any sort of real info over the last year... so i'm not surprised to finally have it confirmed that its a POS.

Given the specs they have now listed:
30 degrees - equivalent to a 40-inch (102 cm) large image in 2 meters distance
It sounds as though 30 degree is correct.

Pathetic.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Wow, 500P and 30 degrees!!! Its barely even better than the 1200VR (if even). The only decent feature is proper diopter adjustment (-5 to +2). Otherwise its not looking so hot.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Kind of stupid. The only market that will be interested will be the FPV guys. And FPV doesn't need more than 640x480, maybe 800x600 MAX. So, really, apart from the AV in feature, I don't see why anyone would pay MORE than the ST1080. I like the diopter adjustment, but since im -6 / -7, it wouldn't suit me still either.

For half the price, FPV fans can just buy a Fatshark, which has head tracking as well. Crappier resolution etc, but when using 580 line cameras, this isn't a major. The only thing this has going for it that I can see is AV in!

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”