RealD Unveils RealD LP Mobile 3D Projector

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Jadentheman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

RealD Unveils RealD LP Mobile 3D Projector

Post by Jadentheman »

As in Home 3d projector :woot Don't knoe specs wait on that
If you have been to a movie theater to see one of the recent crop of 3D movies like Monsters vs. Aliens, you have seen RealD 3D technology. The 3D experience the technology provides is fantastic and makes movies very enjoyable.

The company behind the RealD technology has announced a new portable projector for 3D viewing called the RealD LP to bring the power of its 3D technology to the small screen. The device is claimed to be the world's first single projector passive 3D solution.

The projector is capable of changing between 3D and 2D on the fly and can be set up in minutes as a portable projector or mounted for a permanent projector. The device is suitable for screen sup to 17-feet wide and is an externally mounted peripheral for 3D-enabled DLP projectors
Portable passive:? no shutters!!!

http://www.i4u.com/article24563.html
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: RealD Unveils RealD LP Mobile 3D Projector

Post by yuriythebest »

since it's DLP I still think it's shutters
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

It is probably passive. RealD is based on shuttering between the polarizers from the projector, not the glasses themselves.

I will try to find out more. I'm in Germany right now.

Regards,
Neil
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

http://reald-corporate.com/scientific/zscreen.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am betting this is similar to the old stereographics zscreen technology, I had a chance to get some zscreens on ebay for cheap awhile back. Whatever happened to viewsonics s3d projector?

http://www.aboutprojectors.com/news/200 ... -z-screen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a picture.

Suitable for screens up to 17 feet wide, the RealD LP works with 3D-enabled projectors such as NEC NC800, Christie Mirage HD, and Lightspeed Design HD DepthQ, along with a silver screen from Harkness, MDI or Stewart.

http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/PR.aspx?newsID=1434" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jadentheman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jadentheman »

Linear polarizer!!???!! why not circular!!??!! I know to keep costs down and make it cheaper but I want to use my glasses from the theatre you know!!

Anyways I guess the projector count will go up once we have the blu-ray standard and more 120hz projectors?
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

yeah definitely passive

It may be stretching the definition of what we'd call "portable" around here by quite a large margin, but RealD's touting its latest creation as the world's first mobile, single-projector 3D solution. The RealD LP can blast video on screens up to 17 feet wide with a 150:1 contrast ratio -- glasses still required for the full effect, of course. No price mentioned, but we reckon it's still in the realm of "if you have to ask, you can't afford it."
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/05/real ... -portable/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

furthermore what surprised me were the positive (thus far) engadget comments
funkee
Cross Eyed!

Post by funkee »

yuriythebest wrote:since it's DLP I still think it's shutters
Nope. Passive. The whole point of the screen in front of the projector is to have the active device there, and not in your glasses. The DLP is there because you need the speed anyway.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

funkee wrote:
yuriythebest wrote:since it's DLP I still think it's shutters
Nope. Passive. The whole point of the screen in front of the projector is to have the active device there, and not in your glasses. The DLP is there because you need the speed anyway.
yeah in the previous post I corrected myself :D :
yeah definitely passive
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

Hi,

It may be possible to make a pico version of the Real3D DLP projector.

There could be a method to make an active shutter using one panel from a pair of shutterglasses.

This is how it would work.

The screen side polarizer from the shutterglass panel has to be removed.

Assume the following for this example:

[1] Horizontal polarization is used for the right eye and vertical polarization is used for the left eye.

[2] The front polarizer before the LCD shutter is horizontally polarized.

The liquid-crystal shutter is activated in a 50:50 - ON / OFF duty cycle as per normal.

When the shutterglass panel is OFF (inactive), the liquid-crystal shutter transmits the right image through the panel.

When the shutterglass panel is ON (active), the polarization plane is twisted 90 degrees by the liquid-crystal shutter, and the left image is transmitted through the panel.

The linearly polarized 3d glasses worn by the user, with horizontal polarizer for the right eye and vertical polarizer for the left eye, would act as the left eye / right eye image filter.

Now, if this is all correct, the active shutterglass panel would require proper synching with the projector. This could easily be done using the standard page flipping shutterglass mode from the graphics card driver.

Please tell me I am not dreaming ...... :idea:

EDIT: For larger projectors - the large LCD shutter panels used in modern welding helmets could be used as the active stereo shutter.

:woot
Last edited by budda on Thu May 07, 2009 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

It needs a projector that alternates left/right frames at 120 Hz or more for no flicker. It can't work with any projector.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Tril wrote:It needs a projector that alternates left/right frames at 120 Hz or more for no flicker. It can't work with any projector.
Who wants to place bets that a dual projector setup with cheap filters is going to be way more economicial than this projector/zscreen reald setup?
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

The nice thing about it, compared to a setup with two projectors, is that you always have perfect alignment between the left/right views without doing anything.

Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

So this doova switches polarisation for left and right images from a dlp projector in page flippling mode and you can wear polarised glasses to view it? And you still need a screen that wont destroy the polarization?

Unless its very cheap it sound lamo.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

Also, since it uses one projector and it displays one eye at once, it's like shutter glasses, each eye sees black half the time. That means you need a bright projector, like you would need with shutter glasses.

noos
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by noos »

martinlandau wrote:http://reald-corporate.com/scientific/zscreen.asp

I am betting this is similar to the old stereographics zscreen technology, I had a chance to get some zscreens on ebay for cheap awhile back. Whatever happened to viewsonics s3d projector?

http://www.aboutprojectors.com/news/200 ... -z-screen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a picture.

Suitable for screens up to 17 feet wide, the RealD LP works with 3D-enabled projectors such as NEC NC800, Christie Mirage HD, and Lightspeed Design HD DepthQ, along with a silver screen from Harkness, MDI or Stewart.

http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/PR.aspx?newsID=1434" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hello,

have you or anyone tested if the old stereographics z-screen technology can be used to project and polarize a picture trought them? I am talkeing about these z-screens that were made by stereographics for 21" crt monitors.

Best regards

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”