DIY Lenticular?

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
eric3dee
One Eyed Hopeful

DIY Lenticular?

Post by eric3dee »

Ok- I'm kinda a n00b when it comes to this stuff, so this question may be too naive... BUT is there any reason I couldn't purchase a 60LPI lenticular screen and place it over an LCD monitor set to display at 120dpi and setup an image or movie to display left/right every other 2 pixels across? Does this make sense?? Any further info would be much appreciated. Thanks!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: DIY Lenticular?

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, that could work. However the lenticles would have to match the dot pitch of the monitor exactly. This may be trickier than you think. I actually did some work on a DIY parallax barrier (same idea) and it was extremely difficult to get the right width to match one pixel on the monitor. I do remember some video of someone getting a DIY lenticular working on an LCD, so yeah it can certainly be done. But it is harder than it seems. However if you could get the thing working you would be able to use the IZ3D driver in vertical interlace mode to game. Could be fun.
eric3dee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by eric3dee »

Yeah- I clearly don't have my head wrapped around the whole dot pitch vs. dpi vs. real world pixels per inch vs.lpi ;) In my n00bish mind, if there are truly 120 dots (pixels) per inch, and there really are 60 lines per inch, then you would have a 2:1 ratio and be able to pull this off.
Nevertheless, I decided to go ahead and spring for a 25 pack of 60 LPI lenses from vuethru.com. It was only 40 bucks and I figure at the very least I'll wind up with some lenses to do some 3D photos with. If it does in fact work, I then plan on springing for a bigger sized lens, or attempting to piece several 4x6s side-by-side ;)
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

For Pictures it isn't nerly as complicated as for Monitors, Specally for tft's

While in a picture every dot has its color, a tft has 3 dots per pixel, one for each color.

Thes dots are usualy different in width due the different perception of colors. So you will have to figure out much details about your display and tinker arround much (Cyberreality's post about paralax barrier tells much about it).

But don't let it stop you, maybe you get the breaking through idear ;)
relaxman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by relaxman »

I make 3D photos and i'm very interested in lenticular printing.
What do i need for this? Only some adhesive sheets?
I have a 9600dpi Canon ip4500 inkjet printer. Is this good?
The quality is very professional on a glossy photo paper.
What else do i need? Some tools? Lucky?

thx!
niranjan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by niranjan »

get more information from
http://www.digisignsindia.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
about lenticular printing
newcyberian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by newcyberian »

I doubt it will work with regular lenticular sheet. Even with the high precision of offset printing we still need to do pitch test.

The concept of making flip or animation is easy but there is a term called reverse difficulty in the lenticular industry. The concept is easy but making flip is much more difficult than making 3D. The reason being a very slight shift will destroy the effect completely.

Our neighbor, vicgi.com, does lenticular printing and they showed me one time using a lenticular sheet on a monitor. I was told the lenticular sheet was specially calibrated for 17" LCD monitor. The LPI wasn't 60 but 40 if I remember correctly. They purchased the lenticular sheet from a company in Taiwan called iart3d.com. The company also supplied them the software.
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

Wow, they even have asheet for my netbook!
I'm a little confused though when it says 6 views, I wonder if that means there are 6 "hotspots" for a single stereoscopic image, or if it's a multi-view display with 6 individual images.

anyways, if they're true column-interlaced(i.e iz3d/ddd compatible) stereoscopic non-multiview displays, i reeeeally want me one of them 27" screens :mrgreen:
"This is great!"

Return to “Do it Yourself!”