Xbox 360 and HD vga cable ?

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Xbox 360 and HD vga cable ?

Post by ancjob »

Hi
came across information here : http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... A_0708.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So the xbox does have the VGA output thru this cable - now my question

1)can xbox play movies thru dvd drive - if it has - i guess xbox 360 does not have built in dvd drive or does it have ?

see here : http://support.xbox.com/en-us/pages/xbo ... ovies.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

still not sure - need to hear from actual xbox 360 user ...

2)Is the DVD drive - region locked region 1 or 2 etc ?

2)Do the console provide 800x600 VGA output so that i can enjoy 2D gaming on emagin z800 / headplay ?

3)How 's the quality of VGA 800x600 is it excellent with crisp image - no distortions etc ?

all i want is the gaming console to play my DVD movies [NTSC/PAL] , games and output on VGA 800x600 for emagin/headplay 2D [ i do not bother abt 3D]

can somebody plz help ?

plz reply

plz reply...
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Xbox 360 and HD vga cable ?

Post by cybereality »

Yes, the Xbox plays DVDs. I believe its locked to the same region as the system (so if you buy a US system, its region 1). I had the VGA cable, it allows you to select some options for the resolution, but they are limited compared to what you can do with a PC. I don't recall if 800x600 is supported, as I had no reason to try that. Unfortunately my Xbox died, so I cannot run any tests for you.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Yes, the Xbox plays DVDs. I believe its locked to the same region as the system (so if you buy a US system, its region 1). I had the VGA cable, it allows you to select some options for the resolution, but they are limited compared to what you can do with a PC. I don't recall if 800x600 is supported, as I had no reason to try that. Unfortunately my Xbox died, so I cannot run any tests for you.
1)that's too bad - hope someone can actually confirm - all i want is to do 2d gaming with z800 [great FOV] using the VGA out 800x600@60hz...playing some nice horror games like condemned 2 etc....

2) to play my us dvds and region free dvds that's it

Z800 whatever it does all it's evils are pardonable becoz of fov 40 ....that's where it shines...

if nothing concrete i will go for asrock ion 3d - atleast it's a mini computer that can play all kinds of bluray/dvds with some software installed and MCE remote included...
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Burbruee »

I think it has 640x480 and 1024x768 and some other resolutions up to 1920x1080 but not 800x600. Can't confirm it, I'm using component now.
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

shouldn't it use EDID or something?

the HDMI port automatically adjusts the settings to match the native resolution of the display, I don't know if VGA does the same. If that's the case Burbruee, the xbox itself might support 800x600, but your display doesn't.
"This is great!"
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

AntiCatalyst wrote:shouldn't it use EDID or something?

the HDMI port automatically adjusts the settings to match the native resolution of the display, I don't know if VGA does the same. If that's the case Burbruee, the xbox itself might support 800x600, but your display doesn't.
1)can anybody verify if thru xbox360 vga hd av cable [cable plugs into AV connector port of console and VGA port of the cable to the VGA input of device] VGA output 800x600@60hz be there for z800....

2)can the xbox360 play region free DVDs.....[nowadays it's easier to do that with software] without issues ?

has anybody tried playing a decrypted DVD on xbox360 without issues ?
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Burbruee »

ancjob wrote:
AntiCatalyst wrote:shouldn't it use EDID or something?

1)can anybody verify if thru xbox360 vga hd av cable [cable plugs into AV connector port of console and VGA port of the cable to the VGA input of device] VGA output 800x600@60hz be there for z800....

2)can the xbox360 play region free DVDs.....[nowadays it's easier to do that with software] without issues ?

has anybody tried playing a decrypted DVD on xbox360 without issues ?
Found this (old) image with a list of resolutions. As I suspected, 800x600 is not on the list.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26 ... 5.jpg/sr=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for DVDs the player is not region free. But it plays burned movie discs fine without modification so you could rip, decrypt and re-burn on your computer and pop it into your Xbox. Honestly though, why bother? A DVD player on your computer should be much better than using the Xbox 360 and your video card will be able to output 800x600 without issues.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@ancjob: Seems like you just need a decent computer.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:@ancjob: Seems like you just need a decent computer.
Well - just need a console with dvd drive to play games which 'd output decent VGA 800x600 for the z800 [gathering dust for a long time... :D ]

playstaion 3 does great gaming thru Blu-ray read only but no VGA [need to use VGA converter] only hdmi and AV out resolution just right for headplay...so z800 gathers dust more and more :D

i guess for the time being Asrock ion 3d / core HT 'd do - atleast that's get z800 out of slumber

headplay with non reflective screen and fov=40 'd have blasted out z800 into oblivion....something that did not happen... :mrgreen:

Return to “3D Console Gaming”