Best Bang for the buck solution for ATI / AMD mobile GPU

Share your experiences and learn about big-screen 3D gaming.
PrimeTimeAction
One Eyed Hopeful

Best Bang for the buck solution for ATI / AMD mobile GPU

Post by PrimeTimeAction »

I am a long time lurker but didn’t post anything so far (except a couple of goof ups at the chat board :oops: . The 3D bug bit me few months ago when I got hold of some anaglyph glasses. I definitely knew about 3D but never considered it to be a serious option (unless you are willing to pay huge bugs). I found anaglyph quite impressive for viewing stills and short videos but I immediately knew that to be able to enjoy 3D fully, I need some real setup. I discussed it with my wife and she suggested to get a 3D TV. But IMO these 3D TVs are overpriced. So I started looking here and there.

I wanted to use my laptop with ATI mobility 5870 card as the source player so my options are limited in terms of 3D monitors. The laptop has only two video outputs, a VGA output and a HDMI output (which I think is HDMI 1.3).

Also I have very limited budget (around $800 because of my self-made logic of 3DTVs being overpriced ;) ). This becomes even a bigger problem as I am not from US and shipment charges the country where I am living are quite high :( . Anyway I will list down what I have found so far and ask question parralelly as below(I will highlight questions):

For 3D Monitors:

1. CRT monitor with ED glasses: This is not a real option in my case because I cannot find a good (and cheap) ideal CRT monitor (i.e. with min H-sync, Vsync e.t.c) in my country and I know if I don’t get it right, ghosting can be a big problem.

2. IZ3D monitor: Although it’s officially discontinued but I can still get a new IZ3D monitor in around $320 (including shipping) from ebay. This seems to be the best budget option but problem is ghosting. I have seen in different forums that it’s a big problem so I am really hesitant about it.

3.Zalman Monitor: Available at around $540 (21.5"). No ghosting here but the viewing angle is very limited. This can be a problem as I would not be able to watch movies with my wife :cry: . But still if the price of this monitor would have been something like IZ3D one, I would have bought. But with $540, I think why not go for a 3D projector! I will discuss it later in the post.

4. Acer HS24H / HN27H: Not really available for international shipping, I mean maybe I can find it on some online shop but the price is very high. Also I don’t know if it will work with my laptop VGA / HDMI1.3 output or not

5. Viewsonic V3D241m: Same as above.

6. Samsung monitor/HDTV T27A750 and T27A950: Available at ebay for $940 & $980. Looks are really cool but the price alone is a deal breaker for me (not to mention that I don’t think it will do 3D with my laptop)

So in terms of 3D monitor IZ3D and Zalman monitor are possible option for me. So guys what are you recommendation. Yes I know its ultimately my decision but I want to know if the ghosting in IZ3D and viewing angle in Zlaman are really that bad.

If you say yes then I will move to next section, that is to get a “best bang for bug” 3D projector.

3D DLP projector:

This is fairly simple or is it? Lets have a look:

1. Acer H5360 / Optoma HD66 / Viewsonic 6531W: These are the top contenders and I think fairly equal in terms of performance (although if I get in detail specs there are few difference). I can have Acer H5360 for $635, Optoma HD66 for $730, Viewsonic a bit more than HD66. What I don’t understand is why Acer is cheaper than Optoma/Viewsonic. I it the segments of color wheel, speed or anything else.

Also as Acer H5360 is not supported on AMD official page, according to some posts, will I need driver file from one of the supported projectors?

I found some posts where a guy had both Acer and Optoma projectors and compared them side by side. But the posts were inconclusive. Can somebody elaborate on this. I mean do the extra $100 on optoma really worth?

2. Optoma GT720, Benq W600+, Optoma Pro 350W: Not considering those as they cost around same as Acer H5360/HD66 and reviews are not clear. I would like to know the impression form somebody has got one of these here in MTBS.

3. XGA projectors: These are the main ones that are making me hesitate to go for top contenders. Just because of the reason that I can find really good deals on Ebay for some of these. For example Viewsonic PJD6211 (refurbished) for around $410 e.t.c. So I keep wondering how big is the difference between XGA and 720P. Can someone please help me here?

Ok now assume I got my DLP projector so next are glasses. Currently I am eying those cheap blue “ultra clear” glasses, which will cost me around $200 for two pairs. I have heard good things about those. Whats your opinion. In case you guys say its not ok than I will go ahead with optoma glasses (cost around $275 for two pairs)

Lets move further to the software. This is the most confusing part for me. I think I should devide it in two sections:

Software for 3D movies:

1. Cyberlink power Dvd10 mark II ultra super –whatever: I was very happy to find a thread in which somebody with ATI card mentioned powerdvd10 with 120hz page flip mode works very good for him. But when I red further, I found that this mode is no longer ther. I checked it further and its for sure that the only mode that exist now in powerdvd10 are anaglygh, HDTV checkerboard, Interlaced modes, Nvidia mode and few HDMI1.4 mode. Does this means that powerdvd10 is no longer an option for me? Or can I still use some other modes (I mean will the mode “HDMI1.4 HD TV - 720p 60Hz” work with my Hdmi 1.3)

2. Stereoscopic player: Suitable for 3D videos/dvd but no Blu Ray. As I will be using my Laptop so I think I will manage to find a workaround. As per my knowledge “software page flipping” mode is to be used with dlp projectors. I have seen threads which say that because quad buffer has not been enabled by ATI, there are sync issue with software page flipping. I want to know if quad buffer is still not activated in latest ATI drivers. Also how big the sync issue is is. Is this unbearable? For example how many times will I have to press re-sync button during an average movie.

Also can somebody please tell me will quad buffer even work (with registry hack or updated drivers) with my mobility 5870 card.

In addition there is another output in stereoscopic player which is called “Open GL Quad Buffer”. Is it possible to softmod my card to professional card and use this output?

I know that if quad buffer is not available then there is a workarround by using ED dongle and interlaced output from software. But I would like to avoid it because i think interlaced output will affect picture qulity.

Software for 3D gamming:

I will have to go with IZ3D with its “120 hz stereo” output. But again as per my last info this has some sync issue until the quad buffer is activated (or registry hack is successful) . Here also I want to how much problematic it really is.

Finally the screen:
This is my last priority. If everything is working then I may buy a good quality screen. Until then I plan to project on a wall or on blackout cloth

In the end If the projectors turns out to be more expensive, I may revert to my wife's suggestion of 3DTV.

Thank you for bearing with my really long post.

UPDATE Jun 24, 2011:
I finally went ahead with Optoma HD66 + DLP glasses, and so far I am loving it. Please see post number 10 for more details.
Last edited by PrimeTimeAction on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know Kung Fu, Karate, Taekondo and 27 other dangerous words
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Best Bang for the buck solution for ATI / AMD mobile GPU

Post by Fredz »

Lots of questions here, but the choice of a display mostly depends on the usage you'll have for it (movies, games, television, etc.). Monitors, TVs and projectors don't fit exactly the same purpose and all have their prefered usage, exactly like 2D displays.

I'd say monitors are good for lone PC gaming but not that good for console gaming or movies because of the small display size. Projectors are well suited to gaming with family/friends but are generally only used occasionaly because of the short life of lamps, they also necessite a particular arrangement of the room and must often be used in the dark. TVs are a good compromise since they are big enough for movies, can be used very frequently and are well suited to both lone and multi gaming.

You should also ask yourself if it will replace an existing display or if it will only be a complement, and you should also consider to what devices it will be connected (console, PC, television, etc.).

It also depends if you only want to test better forms of 3D than anaglyphs or if you want to invest in the long run. If it's only for testing - because you don't know yet if you'll be convinced - I'd say you should go for the cheapest solution for now, or a solution that covers other needs not related to 3D.

A 120Hz CRT monitor with eDimensional glasses should be the cheapest choice, it's weird that you can't find a 120Hz CRT at a decent price in your country though, I thought those could be found anywhere. You can also try XGA or even SVGA DLP projectors with eDimensional or DLP-Link glasses, that should be the second best solution for a cheap price. I've got an SVGA DLP projector (Acer X1130P) and I'd say the quality is pretty decent, even if not comparable to my 1080p LCD TV (not 3D). For TVs I don't know any cheap solution.

I would not invest in an iZ3D monitor, its ghosting is awful from all the tests I've read about it. Zalman monitors are also out of question as you said because of the viewing angles since you want to view movies in family. I wouldn't go for a LCD monitor as well since their ghosting levels are worse than CRT monitors, except for the Planar SA2311W and the LG W2363D, but I don't think the price difference is justified. LCD/LED TVs are also quite a bad choice because they offer ghosting levels even worse than LCD monitors.

If you want to invest up to your $800 limit, here is what I think would be the best choices in each category :
- monitors : 120Hz CRT monitors or those 2 LCD models : Planar SA2311W and LG W2363D ;
- projectors : the H5360 and HD67n seem to be the best compromises. From a french review I read the $150 difference is justified for the HD67n ;
- TVs : Samsung Plasma TVs like the PN50C490 (1366x768) can be found around $800 without shipping. Full HD models should be out of your budget. You may also have a look at DLP TVs like the Samsung or Mitsubishi ones which should be quite affordable.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Hi I would recomend a dlp projector since of the size and quality. You could get 2 pairs of e-dimensional wired glasses with a dongle from ultimate 3d heaven and not even have to worry about batteries. You would just use software pageflip mode in stereoscopic player and activate the glasses on with the ed.exe activator. Even if you got dlp link glasses you could most likely select software pageflip and as long as you can activate the glasses with the projector in this case white flashes. You might honestly be better getting ddc glasses since it will give you a better picture on a projector.

About the blu-ray 3d playback with the software players is that will only support newer hardware so your best option would be to rip and convert your blu-ray 3d movies to avi , mp4, mkv and such, then watch them in stereoscopic player. Even stereoscopic player is going to support blu-ray 3d playback soon so you will be ok in the future updates. Also is your laptop powerful enough to playback 1080p 3d movies, blu-ray or avi 3d ? Did you test a 1080p 3d clip in red/blue to test it?

When you use the setup I mentioned here you don't need to have anything compatable like what amd suggests cause you could use an 85hz projector and for drivers for gaming with ati just tinker around with iz3d or find a program to increase your fps and not go below 60fps. You could also later get a hdmi 1.4 to 1.3 dlp 3d projector box unless you get that projector that has a hdmi 1.4 input in it. I think it was an acer. Then you could just hook in a blu-ray 3d player and use dlp link glasses and no computer.
Also you might want to look into projectors and 3dtv's that have the checkerboard format as it does 1080p 120hz on hdmi 1.3.

I hope you find something you like and just to say the 3dtv's are the most compatable with the 1.4 but so is that hdmi 1.4 projector.
Last edited by Dom on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

It sounds to me like you want an HDTV and not a computer monitor. Especially if the main purpose is to watch movies with your wife. You might want to check out the 42" Panasonic Viera GT25. It sells for around $1,000, at least in the U.S. Vizio has some cheaper sets coming out this month, starting at $500 for the 32", but they may have similar issues as the Zalman in terms of viewing angles. Both sets support side-by-side mode, so it will be compatible with playing games or movies with pretty much any computer. A projector is going to be difficult due to compatibility issues. So I would not recommend that route, unless you were also willing to build (or buy) another computer. The IZ3D might also have issues with your system, I believe it requires dual DVI cables to function. Even though you could use adapters, its not likely your laptop will support dual output simultaneously. (even if it has 2 ports). Zalman is nice for one person playing a game. Not really much good for a living-room/family setup. Other than that, maybe if you could explain more about what you want to do (games, movies, etc.) and how often you would be using it (either alone, or with people), then I could give more advice.
PrimeTimeAction
One Eyed Hopeful

Thanks for all your replys. When I think about it, i feel that I want to focus more on 3D movies as compared to 3D gamming. That is why I am tilting towards a 720p 3D projector setup. I have ditched the other ideas and now I am aiming for Optoma HD66 closely followed by Acer H5360. Again the cheapest 3DHDTV pakage i can find here is arround $1350 (SONY 3D TV 40" KDL40HX800 and PANASONIC 3D PLASMA TV 42" THP42GT20P). I dont want my budget to go beyond $900.

This 3D setup will be a complete new addition in my home and not replace anything as I feel that my existing A/V equipment which are quite "conservitive" to say the least, fulfill their requirement ok.

@"Dom" I find your suggestion regarding ED glasses with "software page fliping mode" quite interesting (even though I dont exactly know what areddc glasses, from googling it seems to be generic name for ED type glasses, but I am not sure). But the disadvantage would be that i will be limited to source players with vga output only. I mean if cannot plug it with optoma 3dxl box. Also you say
"You might honestly be better getting ddc glasses since it will give you a better picture on a projector"
do you mean the better picture because of better sync or is there something I am missing?

Anyway I am in no hurry as I will be going out of town for about a month in a couple of weeks and finalize my purchase after I return (unless I get a killer deal on ebay durring that time).

Thanks again for your inputs. I will keep you guys updated and come back in case of any problems.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Hi, ddc glasses are the old type of glasses that sync from a vga connection. The newest type are dlp link wireless and what happens is the dlp projector emits a fast white signal on the screen and the dlp link glasses recognize that signal to drive the glasses on and off according to the projectors sync.

With those white flashes there is less of a clear picture to some people and overall it is seen good but I have read about some badness about it and also the glasses cost $100 each. The e-dim wired glasses only cost like 30 for 2 pairs and the cost of the dongle.

The thing is if you want to hook a standalone blu-ray 3d player to a hdmi 1.4 projector you would have to use dlp link glasses.

If you are using your computer to playback all your 3d movies then it would be cheaper and have better picture to use a 120hz vga connection with wired e-dims on software pageflip.

I found that new projector that might be worth looking at http://www.projectorshop24.co.uk/acer-p ... st-3d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If this projector don't let you use both vga and also hdmi 1.4 as a stereo connection then all i can say is you probably will have to just use a vga connection from another 3d projector unless you know forsure your laptop has a 1.4a output, might be worth checking out first.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Watch out when looking at so-called "3D" projectors. A lot of them are fake (meaning they have little to no actual compatibility) and the majority are Nvidia only. Probably the safest thing to buy is the upcoming Acer H5360BD, which supports the standard: HDMI 1.4a. But even then, I think you will need a desktop machine with a more recent video card if you want to watch 3D Blu-Ray or anything like that.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

PrimeTimeAction wrote:I have ditched the other ideas and now I am aiming for Optoma HD66 closely followed by Acer H5360.
When I talked about the justified price difference I was comparing the H5360 to the HD67N, not to the HD66. I don't know if the HD66 is as good as the HD67N, if it's not the case the H5360 should be a better option.
PrimeTimeAction wrote:Again the cheapest 3DHDTV pakage i can find here is arround $1350 (SONY 3D TV 40" KDL40HX800 and PANASONIC 3D PLASMA TV 42" THP42GT20P). I dont want my budget to go beyond $900.
As I said you can forget LCD TVs like the Sony HX800 since their ghosting levels are unacceptable. The Panasonic GT20 (Plasma) is good but very pricey, you should be able to find Plasma TVs from other manufacturers at a much cheaper price.
PrimeTimeAction wrote:@"Dom" I find your suggestion regarding ED glasses with "software page fliping mode" quite interesting
Software page flipping is not a good solution, it's a programming hack that is very unstable and produces frequent eyes inversions. You need hardware page flipping to play 3D movies in a reliable way.
PrimeTimeAction wrote:(even though I dont exactly know what areddc glasses, from googling it seems to be generic name for ED type glasses, but I am not sure). But the disadvantage would be that i will be limited to source players with vga output only.
Yes DDC glasses are limited to VGA and require an older NVIDIA graphic card and with Windows XP only. They are still the cheapest solution if you want to watch 3D movies, but you probably won't be able to view Blu-Ray 3D movies directly with them, you'll have to reencode them in a side-by-side format first.

If you want to watch Blu-Ray 3D movies on your computer without reencoding you'd need a recent NVIDIA graphic card and the 3D Vision kit, both won't come for cheap though.
PrimeTimeAction wrote:I mean if cannot plug it with optoma 3dxl box.
You'll only need this box if you want to read content coming from an HDMI 1.4 compatible device like a PS3 or an external Blu-Ray 3D player. You won't need it if you always use the projector connected to the PC.
PrimeTimeAction wrote:do you mean the better picture because of better sync or is there something I am missing?
DDC glasses are better than DLP-Link glasses because in the latter mode the projector emits white flashes to synchronize the glasses, this produces color distortions, lower black levels and a diminished contrast.

Also these glasses can't be perfectly synched to the PC because they've no way to communicate with it, so you'll have a 50% chance of eye inversion each time you launch a movie. I don't know if eye inversions can also occur in the middle of a movie with these glasses though. You can also find them for cheaper than $100, the Ultra-Clear DLP-Link which have been reported to be pretty good can be found for $59.95.

I'm not sure the Acer H5360BD that has been refered to is a good choice in your case too, because it's only useful when you've got a HDMI 1.4 device to connect to it, which you don't own. In this case the $150 difference doesn't seem to be justified at all to me.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The Acer H5360BD would be a good match for a PS3 if you want to just watch 3D movies. That laptop is probably not going to cut it for 3D Blu-Ray, so you will have to buy some additional hardware either way.
PrimeTimeAction
One Eyed Hopeful

ok guys. I finally went with Optoma HD66 (refurb) + 2 Pair of Ultra clear DLP glasses. The setup costed me arround $750 including shipping. I received it about two weeks ago and since then its hard to stay away from 3D :D. Its really amazing. :woot
I really thank all of you guys for helping me decide.
As this is my first projector, I had to search alot for setting it up. It really turned out to be all basic info :oops: but still I think i can mention here what i have learned, for people like me looking for details, here is the summary:

1. Setup:
  • My system is Asus G73JH laptop with Ati Mobility 5870, Inter core I7 Q720, 8GB ram, HDMI 1.3 port. I updated my bios to 213, vbios 38352 and GPU driver 11.6.
  • 3D works fine from HDMI port. I never tried any other.
  • When I connect the projector through "Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display", I select projector only option. You can also choose other options but I like to avoid it because my laptop screen is 1080p and the projector is 720p
  • When connecting the projector for the first time, you will notice that in projector menu, the "3D" and "3D invert" options are greyed out. Dont worry, its because the input resolution and refresh rate are not setup for 3D. You need to do following to set it up.
    • Change the input resolution to 720p: Go to "Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution" and change resolution to 1280x720.
    • Change the input frequecy: In the above window, click "advance settings". It will open another window, go to "monitor" tab and change the "screen refresh rate" to 120hz.
    • Now the 3D options in projector menu should be enabled. But to be fully ready for 3D, you need to make sure ATI ABQS is supported. For this;
      • Run IZ3D driver. Go to "Help" click "Diagnostic". It will give you a report. The last line should say "Surface format ATI AQBS: supported".
      • If it says "Surface format ATI AQBS: unsupported", Then look for line "Key device key" in the report. It will have a registry address, something like "\Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{3C26F3A4-9FBB-4CAF-B1B4-03E6459C5393}\000x". You need to go to this registry address through regedit. when you reach the address in curly brackets (i.e {3C26F3A4-9FBB-4CAF-B1B4-03E6459C5393} in above example), you have to add "DALForceStereoSupport" (dword) with a value of 1 in all "000X" subfolders. Now restart the system. Run Diagnostic again, now the last line should say "Surface format ATI AQBS: supported". Please note that it says supported only when projector is connected.
    Now your projector is ready for 3D, Just connect it and enjoy. :)

2. Videos:
  • Stereoscopic player works very well with software page flipping output. Offcourse it cant play blu rays but that not a problem for me.
  • Cyberlink PowerDVD player doesnt work :evil: . It doesnt have 120hz or ATI HD3D output.

3. Gaming:
  • IZ3D works great with "120hz 3D devices" output.
  • Tridef works great also. Actually it detects AMD GPU and automatically chooses ATI HD3D (1.4a) output, which works perfectly eventhough my HDMI is 1.3.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Sounds great. I'm glad that worked out for you. I knew IZ3d was support projectors, but I am surprised the AMD HD3D mode worked on DDD since you only have HDMI 1.3 components. Interesting indeed.
PrimeTimeAction
One Eyed Hopeful

cybereality wrote:Sounds great. I'm glad that worked out for you. I new IZ3d was support projectors, but I am surprised the AMD HD3D mode worked on DDD since you only have HDMI 1.3 components. Interesting indeed.
thanks. It was only possible becasue of all you guys here at MTBS.
Regarding DDD, I was also surprised when HD3D worked. Initially I was skeptical that it might have issue. Therefore I decided to give it a good run. I ended up completing a full game "Prince of Persia: forgotten sands" over a period of 6 days without any issues whatsoever on it. I also checked other games, which worked (wify was out of town so I had all the time in the world to play with it ;).
So its safe to say that this out put from DDD works on HDMI1.3 as well.
junglebungle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by junglebungle »

PrimeTimeAction thanks for the great info.

I have just purchased a Optoma HD67N, which id 3d ready and nvidia certified, but i have a mobility 5650 gpu.

I have installed iz3d etc and it seems to be ok, but my question is, which glasses do i need? any dlp link ones which don't need an emitter?

I mainly want 3d for movies not gaming, movies in 3d format mkv files would they work?

Regards
PrimeTimeAction
One Eyed Hopeful

which glasses do i need? any dlp link ones which don't need an emitter?
As far as I know any "DLP Link Glasses" should do. But don't mix them up with glasses having descriptions like "Glasses for Smasung Samsung / Mitsubishi DLP TV" as these can be emitter glasses which will not work.

Also as DOM mentioned in an earlier post, ddc glasses with dongle might also work but there are certain limitations, refer earlier posts if you want details.
I mainly want 3d for movies not gaming, movies in 3d format mkv files would they work?
Yes absolutely. But you will have to install codecs (ffdshow/k-lite e.t.c)
junglebungle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by junglebungle »

Thanks for the reply.

I have all the relevant codecs installed anyway, so say i've got a blu ray .mkv which is in 3D, HALF SBS and the movie has two pictures, side by side.

What media player would i play the file in to watch it in actual 3D? i've tried in stereoscopic player and played with the settings but the image is just side by side still, obviously i haven't got the glasses yet, but surely the image should join into one and look like i was seeing double?

Also, i would definately need 3D movies not normal HD .mkvs right?

Regards
PrimeTimeAction
One Eyed Hopeful

What media player would i play the file in to watch it in actual 3D? i've tried in stereoscopic player and played with the settings but the image is just side by side still
  • First of all make sure that your projector is getting 1280x720 120Hz signal from laptop. (it is displayed at lower right corner when the projector detects input signal).
  • In stereoscopic player go to view>viewing method and select software pagefliping.
  • Now go to view>prefered viewing method and select stereoscopic. (for this there are two icons at the main window also, the eye shaped icon is for monoscopic, and glasses shaped icon is for stereoscopic).
  • Note that the 3d works only in full screen view. So select either scaled or unscaled full screen view from view menu.
  • One more thing that you will have to do if you are getting horizontally compressed image, is to lock the aspect ratio to 16:9. For this first go to file menu and select aspect ratio as 16:9, then go to view menu and check "keep aspect ratio".
obviously i haven't got the glasses yet, but surely the image should join into one and look like i was seeing double
Yes it should be doubled image mixed into each other.
junglebungle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by junglebungle »

Thanks for trying to help me i appreciate it.

I'm still not getting it right unfortunately, this is what it's coming out as:

Wierd?
junglebungle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by junglebungle »

Ok i've played with the settings, and changed it to "Side by side left image first" and in full now screen, the image is one image blending in i think? and it's shaking from left to right really fast? is this correct 3D?

Really i need to get some glasses to see if it works lol
PrimeTimeAction
One Eyed Hopeful

"Side by side left image first" is the layout of your mkv file. The output format is controlled by "viewing method" and "Prefferred viewing method" in "view" menu.

Without glasses, you should see two images mixed into each other like anaglyph, the image you have posed seems to be monoscopic.

Try playing as "anaglyph" as "viewing method" on your laptop screen. If it works then your projector should also work by only changing the "viewing method" to software pageflipping.
junglebungle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by junglebungle »

Ok i've set the Viewing method to "Software pageflipping" and the screen is shaking violently left and right on the image, it actually looks like a bit of 3D, some scenes are showing people in the foreground and they are still, and the background behind them is shaking left and right really fast, so is this 3D? all i need now is the glasses right?

This is done on my laptop screen by the way, i haven't tried the same settings on the projector yet.

I can't capture the shaking left and right with a screenshot, but when i change the "viewing method" to "IZ3D Display" i get the two images in one sort of effect but without the shaking like so:

So which is the correct method to use? if i stuck glasses on now would i see that in 3D? obviously once connected to the projector and displaying at 120hz?
PrimeTimeAction
One Eyed Hopeful

This is done on my laptop screen by the way, i haven't tried the same settings on the projector yet
oh now i understand. i was thinking you are getting this from projector.
its fine; same thing happens on my laptop screen also. i think reason is obvious.

when i change the "viewing method" to "IZ3D Display" i get the two images in one sort of effect but without the shaking
iz3d output is unique and works for iz3d monitors only. for your setup "software pageflipping" should be fine.

some scenes are showing people in the foreground and they are still, and the background behind them is shaking left and right really fast, so is this 3D?
For 3D there are two main effects, one is pop out effect and the other is feeling of depth. normaly in the movies the focus is more on depth effect, dont ask me why;) for this effect the obect closer to screen must have less separation then the object further away. that swhy it closer objects to be flickering less.

on side note, I saw drive angry 3d in theatre when it came out. i thought the 3d is nicely done in this movie.
junglebungle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by junglebungle »

Thanks for your kind help.

I have tried the same on the projector and i'm getting the exact same results as the laptop?

So when i get the glasses i won't see that flickering on the screen that i explained? (the shaking left and right) and it will just be 3D?

Sorry if i sound a bit mad but this is very confusing lol.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Just wait til you get the glasses. It will be a lot easier to tell if it works if you can actually see it working.
junglebungle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by junglebungle »

Yeah true lol, i just don't wanna waste money if they don't work that's all.

But i'm sure it should be ok.

Thanks
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

It should be a steady double image, without flickering or shaking. Is vertical sync enabled?
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
junglebungle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by junglebungle »

Yea it is on? i tried it off too as well it's the same, this is for software pageflipping though, when i change it to IZ3D 2009 glasses i get steady image, as shown on my last picture above?
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

Hmm... I can't see most images from here (firewalled), and I rarely browse the forums from home :-/

Well, it must look like when you use the iz3d output, so most chances are that software pageflipping is not working right for some reason.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
PrimeTimeAction
One Eyed Hopeful

Hi JungleBungle
Please answer my questions below:

1. Do you see the input signal as 1280x720 120HZ in bottom right corner when the projector is connected.

2. In Prjector menu > Display, is the setting for "3D" set to "DLP Link"

3. Does the diagnostic test in IZ3D shows "Surface format ATI AQBS: supported"
junglebungle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by junglebungle »

Hi

Yes i've set it tp 720p 120hz, 3D DLP-Link is on..

I'm getting "unsupported"

Any ideas?
PrimeTimeAction
One Eyed Hopeful

I'm getting "unsupported"
ok. if you havnt done the registry addition, as i explained in an earlier post, then dot and check agian.
also pls inform me the version of catalyst driver installed on you system?
junglebungle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by junglebungle »

Ok i have 11.6 drivers installed.

I can't see it being any different if i do that registry patch though, because i get the same results on my laptop screen and my projector, no difference.

I'll get the glasses first then try it, there is no point doing what i'm doing until i got them, thanks alot for the help.

Return to “3D Projectors”