3D glasses protocols?

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
Ampfan2
One Eyed Hopeful

3D glasses protocols?

Post by Ampfan2 »

Has anyone created a summary of the DETAILS of the various 3D glasses communications protocols?
And the glasses type (pi, circular, switch time, etc)?

I am trying to understand just how hard it would be to make a universal translator that would allow one's pricey 3D glasses to work on a competitors (e.g. friends) TV

I have been browsing around here for hours, but haven't found anything that summarizes the various protocols and their differences. (no forum search function that I could find here)

I found one post on X103 glasses which talks about how many blinks the glasses status LED produces for each 'mode' they are put in, so that means there are at least 7 ways (with DLP) ways to sync IR LCD glasses.
I find that to be utterly incredible, and STUPID. Did manufactures learn NOTHING from previous format wars?
Interoperability is KEY to 3D getting any sort of market share. (A topic for another thread).

As I understand it DLP sync is a white flash in the vertical blanking interval. but the exact details, (width, timing wrt blanking, etc) seem to only be available under a NDA. I am surprised that no one has put a scope with a photodiode in front of a DLP 3D TV to report what the format may be. (or more correctly PUBLISHED what they found). [BTW an IR led makes a decent cheap photodiode, when matched to the IR wavelength].

The other protocols are all presumably some sort of pulse or IR carrier modulated in some way to convey which eye to pass. (square wave, pulse, pulse width, digital value, etc.)

So, does anyone have have some of the pieces to this puzzle they would care to share? I would be happy to receive PM's with data and would then collate the info into a useful table to post here.

Thanks in advance for orienting this newbie (to 3D, but not to embedded design/coding).

Bob
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: 3D glasses protocols?

Post by cybereality »

Well somebody knows, at least some companies do. There are universal glasses available: Xpand X103, Monster Vision Max 3D, and upcoming glasses from RealD. But surely the protocols are under NDA from the CEMs. If you do some searches here you will see some people have started work trying to decode the signals from shutter glasses (mostly from the Nvidia glasses, but the principles should work for any brand). Not sure if anything exists yet that has all the information you want. But if anybody would know, its someone on this board.
Ampfan2
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ampfan2 »

And the answer is:

"A Survey of 3D Sync IR Protocols"
http://cmst.curtin.edu.au/local/docs/pu ... ync-IR.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

nice find,
Notes:  
 This is a four token protocol and hence allows the display to specify the duty cycle for the 
glasses to operate. 
nvidia's, hehe, as suspected, shutter opened for 1.5mS like with TN LCD, would hardly work with DLP : )
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!

Return to “Do it Yourself!”