Cube of 512 LEDs does 3D with calculus, not glasses (video

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Cube of 512 LEDs does 3D with calculus, not glasses (video

Post by Silversurfer »

By Tim Stevens posted Mar 21st 2011 6:56PM

[youtube]<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U0R9AdIxCq0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

No goofy active shutter glasses, no headache-inducing parallax barrier screens, no optical trickery here. This is a pure 3D display -- unfortunately done at a resolution of just 8 x 8 x 8. It's a hand-built LED cube created by Nick Schulze, powered by Arduino, and driven largely by Matlab. Yes, Matlab, an application you probably deleted less than three minutes after signing off on your calculus final. We can't help you find that installation disc again, but we can encourage you to enjoy the video of this 3D matrix of blinkenlights after the break, and you can get the full details on how to build your own at the other end of that source link.

Crunchgear
Howtonotengineer.com

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/21/cube ... ses-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Cube of 512 LEDs does 3D with calculus, not glasses (vid

Post by Silversurfer »

sorry I seem to be having trouble embedded HTML 5 YouTube videos, and anybody know how to do it?

Does this mean that we will all be watching TV in 2030 on a 4K 3-D cube TV surrounded by seats all the way surrounding it.
If so, I want to be taking the viewing angle seat position focused on Scarlett Johansson's rear end, seeing an actors lips moving is so overrated.
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Silversurfer wrote:sorry I seem to be having trouble embedded HTML 5 YouTube videos, and anybody know how to do it?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0R9AdIxCq0[/youtube]
Silversurfer wrote:Does this mean that we will all be watching TV in 2030 on a 4K 3-D cube TV surrounded by seats all the way surrounding it.
I hope not, looking through a window looks like a better paradigm to me for movies or games. Something like the Angelator in the Bones TV serie or the big holographic display in Avatar look nice, but not really practical for movies or games.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

If they do that they will have to have some sort of tiered pricing for movie theaters (sort of like with sporting events). Because who will want to sit all the way in the back on the side and hardly see any action?

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”