Hack the nVidia emitter to use multiple emitter

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
nk215
One Eyed Hopeful

Hack the nVidia emitter to use multiple emitter

Post by nk215 »

Hello everyone.

I am new here and I saw a lot of great ideas and design/hack, do I turn to you to help with my issue.

My HT is longer the range of the nVidia emitter. Is there a way to hack the emitter/software so that I can use multiple of them to extend the coverage. If this is too much of a trouble, is there a way to built an IR repeater that's stronger.

I already tried a generic IR repeater and it did not pickup the signal from the emitter (our of frequency range?).

Please help.
Thank you
nk
Ampfan2
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Hack the nVidia emitter to use multiple emitter

Post by Ampfan2 »

Have you tried using USB extension cables to get the emitter closer to your seating area? The spec says you can't go beyond 15' but I have cascaded 4 cables without any problem. (The reason for the length limit has to do with turn around time and voltage loss in long cables, but neither is an issue with an output only device).

I have also seen 50' USB repeater/extenders for around $80 USD.

Yes, it is possible to hack a NV emitter to use more emitters, but if you have to ask how to do it, it's probably beyond your skill set.
Just add additional IR LEDs in parallel with the existing DRIVER line. e.g. LED PLUS SERIES RESISTOR to output of driver transistor.
One could also change out the IR LED for one with a narrower beam width, to get higher intensity at far distance. or do both, narrow beam and multiple LEDs paralleled.
lish
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Hack the nVidia emitter to use multiple emitter

Post by lish »

nk215 wrote:Hello everyone.

I am new here and I saw a lot of great ideas and design/hack, do I turn to you to help with my issue.

My HT is longer the range of the nVidia emitter. Is there a way to hack the emitter/software so that I can use multiple of them to extend the coverage. If this is too much of a trouble, is there a way to built an IR repeater that's stronger.

I already tried a generic IR repeater and it did not pickup the signal from the emitter (our of frequency range?).

Please help.
Thank you
nk
Are you want a emitter the IR range is longer than Nvidia's.
I think there is almost the same range between different emitters, but you can build an IR repeat to longer it
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Do it Yourself!”