GDC 2011 Part IV: Nvidia, Epic Games, ARM

Love it or Lump it - post your feedback to individual blog posts on mtbs3D.com
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

GDC 2011 Part IV: Nvidia, Epic Games, ARM

Post by PressBot »

By Kris Roberts

Ok!  Last part of my GDC 2011 coverage.  Today we feature Nvidia, Epic Games, and ARM!

Nvidia

Of all the exhibitors on the expo floor, Nvidia clearly had the biggest and most impressive lineup of stereo 3D games and enabling technology on display.  Talking to George Millington and Michael McSorley, it was clear that the company is indeed committed to stereo 3D in a big way and there is a lot more they have in store.  On March 15th we should expect some announcements that are pretty exciting.

Read full article...
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: GDC 2011 Part IV: Nvidia, Epic Games, ARM

Post by tritosine5G »

Maybe 24 per eye would make sense with a game like alone in the dark (1-2 I know) . On the other hand, extra spatial information, and low refresh rate just don't go well. ;)
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

well I've seen some game material running at 24Hz. Its a no go. It most definately does not work well. Even on slow moving basic games- like monopoly.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Nobsi already tested 1080p@24Hz on his Series 7 Samsung Plasma and found it totally unplayable. He also tried 1080p@30Hz since his TV supports this, and although at first he found it better than 720p@60Hz with no AA on some games, in the end he concluded that it was not really playable either (see second page of the thread).

See : 1080p@60Hz page-flipping 3D gaming on Samsung HDTVs
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

1080P24 will obviously look better if you just take a screenshot, but that does not equate into a better user experience. 60Hz is pretty much essential IMO, and even higher Hz are going to become a requested feature as real 120Hz monitors become more widespread (not just for 3D gamers). Granted, some games are still playable at these low speeds. For example, the original Crysis can be played at 24FPS (although it is just barely acceptable). Other titles look horrible at these framerates (like Street Fighter 4) and would not be acceptable.

Return to “MTBS Editorial User Remarks”