Hardware configuration and drivers

This website is for our members. Do you have some design ideas? Are there features you would like to see? What additions would drive this site forward? POST YOUR IDEAS HERE!
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I would like to see a more structured Hardware configuration and drivers view.
For example, I find it difficult to find information on particular gfx cards/cpu/drivers as they are all thrown in a forum with other setups. What I would prefer is a tree structure as:
|-Gfx Card Chipset 1
| |-Driver 1
| | |-What works/What doesn't Work
| | | |-Video Solution 1
| | | |-Video Solution 2
| | |-CPU 1
| | |-CPU 2
| |-Driver 2
| . |-What works/What doesn't Work
| . | |-Video Solution 1
| . | |-Video Solution 2
| . |-CPU 1
| . |-CPU 2
|-Gfx Card Chipset 2
. |-Driver 1
. | |-What works/What doesn't Work
. | | |-Video Solution 1
. | | |-Video Solution 2
. | |-CPU 1
. | |-CPU 2
. |-Driver 2
. . |-What works/What doesn't Work
. . | |-Video Solution 1
. . | |-Video Solution 2
. . |-CPU 1
. . |-CPU 2

I hope this makes sense. So If I have an 8800 gtx 320MB graphics running on an AMD2 6400 and trying to use a VR920 then I could just navigate through the tree to see if a new driver release would work, and if so, what games it will work with:
|-8800GTX - 320MB
. |-iZ3D
. . |-What works/What doesn't Work
. . | |-VR920
. . | . |- Post 1
. . | . | Works but...
. . | . |- Post 2
. . | . . Tried... and...
. . |-AMD2
. . . |- Post 1
. . . | Only works in 32 bit on win XP...
. . . |- Post 2
. . . . Got to work on Vista...

I know this will probably require much administration to maintain as every new gfx card/driver/processor/video solution that is released would have to have new menus created, but it would be a lot more logical to me. I don't imagine it would be terribly difficult to create a script to populate all the correct menus when a new solution is created.
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hi!

thanks for the idea..

here is my thought about it:

it doe s not make much difference if you have a dual core or a duo quadro, it doesnt make much difference if you have a 8600 or a 8800 (except speed obviously, i am speaking only of compatibility), the motherboard influences it even less,

the big differences are here:

overall low end computer ----> mid/high end computer
single core -----> multicore
operating system
7 or lower nvidia series card, ----> 8 series card ----> other cards
used solution

now, these connections can be more or less all be described in a single post. actually those points are all answered in the forums more than one timein the multilanguage forums there already is a post describing this in the italian and the german section, and the plans are to have a english version of it soon in the "beginner section" of the forums.

but this is only my idea..

anyway welcome to the boards.. :)

bye

igor
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Hi.

Thanks for your welcome and reply sharky.

The point is NOT that the information isn't already there in the forum, it's a matter of ogranization. If all the information is scattered through the forum in a random fashon as it is at the moment then it takes a lot of time trawling through the endless lists of posts to find what you're looking for.
I take your point about the CPU being irrelevent, for this I was more meaning just Singlecore Intel / Multicore Intel / Singlecore AMD / Multicore AMD / 32Bit / 64Bit . From my reading, it would appear that this does make a difference. Maybe it would be more important to have OS as the submenu.

For an example of how my idea for organization would help:
Currently I want to find out what works for an 8800GTS 3200 on AMD singlecore using XP, I I have to search the forums (both under 'NVIDIA Stereo Driver & Software Technical Support' AND 'General Hardware Technical Support' because there is no clear distinction of what should be in each section) for '8800 GTS'. Then I must trawl through endless posts arguing about NVidia being crap for not releasing a new working driver for the 8XXX series. Then I give up!

I know that this is particularly bad because I have an 8XXX series card and the whole backlash against Nvidia, but I also tried to find (just out of interrest) information on a 7900 card and still it is difficult to find the targeted information hidden in amongst all the other general discussion. (Just as a side note, I believe maybe a NVidia Bitch thread needs to be developed so that people can vent without adding so many posts to the threads that contain good information)

I believe there is a great wealth of information and knowledge out there, but it is currently just like searching the net... you have to trawl through so much pron and information that is incorrect to find good information that I could have driven to another city and gone to a library and got ten times the information.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer.

Keep up the good work people. :-)
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I like the idea, but your 'tree' would be very VERY big and hard to overview (as a Text-version). If it was planned as sort of a subprogram (maybe for the main-page), I think it would be great.

If it was something to do with the forum (text) it schould be smaller.
You could list all available Methods and what Hardware they support:

Shutterglasses, Projectors (DLP or passive Dualprojector); Old Nvidia Driver
-Nvidia up to series7
-Singlecore sometimes Multicore
-only CRT! Prefeared with 120hz at the used resolution
-Winxp only 32bit
-general Chance to work: Most old games; No new ones with heave Postprocessing.

So you can choose the S3d Method you want to juse (you can finance) and if it supports your hardware.
Other People prefeare different setups: play on a TV (samsung DLP), play on projectors, play on cheap equipment, Play on LCD (Zalman and iZ3D) or on Head Mounted Displays...
We could use both methods, too. Offering both ways to find the right components.
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!

Return to “MTBS Website Ideas”