Justin Bieber: Never Say Never 3D

Talk about the latest 3D movies in the theater and at home!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Justin Bieber: Never Say Never 3D

Post by Chiefwinston »

Well a day I was hoping would not come is here. I have to take some kids to see this. I have to smile and be in general good spirits about it. Any one care to join me tonight. Running me over with a car -seems a bit extreme.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Justin Bieber: Never Say Never 3D

Post by cybereality »

You know, I saw the preview for this in 3D and (I hate to say it) it was actually some of the best 3D I've seen in recent movies. Not sure if I will drag myself to see this, I think I might pass, but it did look OK visual-wise.
Tretboot
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tretboot »

Bring earplugs, or better an ipod with you!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

And so I smiled and did my duty. So how was the 3d chief? Well there are areas of the film were it's great. But to be honest, I think the separation and pop-out are to high. It actually gave me a faint headache. It's 95% really good stereo 3d. Unfortunately, that missed 5% really hurts the whole 3d experience. Now there aren't very many live action 3d movies that I think the 3d works well with. It's the same here. 3d does not need to be some way off the screen holographic experience. It doesn't work that way. It will not work to that effect no matter the separation and pop-out level. Trying too will only give your customers eye strain or a headache. Not good for business. Not good for business at all.

Cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

What I saw in the preview was really impressive and did not give me a headache (although I can't say what 90 minutes of it would do). But I also find most 3D movies to be weak in the 3D department, so maybe its different for everyone.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Justin Bieber aside...is it just me, or have 3D movies really, really, really sucked this year?

Pam and I used to fork our money out to see 3D movies to get reviews up on MTBS, but the material has seriously degraded the last year. The 3D is a separate matter, I'm talking about the story and just the general appeal of the movie itself. It's as though Hollywood is rushing movies as an excuse to put stuff out in 3D, and story be damned!

Your thoughts?

Regards,
Neil
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

They have a few scenes were they went for very high separation and pop-out. In one of the concert scenes it results in this really strange perspective distortion. It breaks. the 3d immersion. Then it takes awhile to get back in the immersion. In another scene they use a camera pan at these settings. WOW. Talk about strobbing. Same thing- it breaks the immersion. The group of kids I took really enjoyed it. But they wouldn't know bad 3d.

So there you guys have it. Strictly, the 3d review.

Cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Neil, I don't think 3d works particully well with live people action. I thought the best movie last summer was despicable me followed by toy story 3. Unless your a James Cameron current filmmakers simply make to many basic mistake of cinematography. They try to do to much with the 3d. It quite often just breaks the immersion. And cheapens the whole experience.

Cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Neil, those movies I like have a strong story. It's critically important. And yes Hollywood has no shame in putting out a sub par product. I pretty much stick to the kids animated features. They usually contain a good story and proper production. I'm waiting for these live action movies to appear in rental form. I'll check them out then. There's a good chance some of this material may look better on a 50" 3d HDTV. I'm sure they are probably checking their footage on these sets. Renting a movie for $5-6 would put some of the sub par Hollywood products in the right price category.

Cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@Neil: Did you see Sanctum? I thought it was decent (although some amateur acting keep it from being better).

Return to “3D Movies (Blu-Ray and Theater)”