Sony's 3D head-mounted display prototype face-on @CES

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Sony's 3D head-mounted display prototype face-on @CES

Post by Silversurfer »

By Nilay Patel posted Jan 6th 2011 12:13AM
Hands-On

Sony went seriously 3D-crazy at CES this year, and in addition to the slew of shipping 3D products, the company is showing off some futuristic prototypes -- including this 3D head-mounted display that features a 720p OLED display for each eye, simulated 5.1 surround audio, and super-slick blue LED piping. No price, no availability, and no practical functionality since there's no way to keep the thing on your face without your hands, but c'mon -- you know you want one. Video after the break.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/sony ... e-face-on/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Silversurfer

Re: Sony's 3D head-mounted display prototype face-on @CES

Post by Silversurfer »

"Geordi La Forge" in the house, circa Star Trek the Next Generation, LOL
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

That thing looks awesome, total Tron vibe going on. Something tells me this is just a prototype, though. Do wish it would come out though. Also, who's Sony's supplier for 720P micro OLEDs? Maybe the rumors of the Carl Zeiss HMD being 720P were for real...
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

while sony's 3d camera line could use improvement, this looks awesome!! This actually looks futuristic and not like it was made in 1995
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Okta

Post by Okta »

Only 1 question on my mind. FOV of course :)
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by smoothy »

How come hardly no one is talking about this?

This is the only thread I have found about this HMD on these boards. Hasn't this been the HMD we've been waiting for, 720p OLED screens, great looking shell, probably PS3 and move independent gun and head tracking sounds awesome. Maybe the shell is curved for a reason they may be working on ways to wrap the image around your field of view.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

The reasons are:

1. FOV looks to be low
2. Sony shows off crazy concept products all the time that never make it to market, like their volumetric 3D display
3. The shell only looks like that for the cool factor, is is pretty obvious the curve is not an engineering trait. It does not even have anything to mount it to your head!
4. The Carl Zeiss Cinemizer OLED has the same specs, is confirmed for release, and is smaller with the same features.
Neil

Post by Neil »

This is the only thread I have found about this HMD on these boards. Hasn't this been the HMD we've been waiting for, 720p OLED screens, great looking shell, probably PS3 and move independent gun and head tracking sounds awesome. Maybe the shell is curved for a reason they may be working on ways to wrap the image around your field of view.
There is also this thread: http://mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I think people aren't talking about it because there's nothing to say. It's a prototype headset that's probably never going to come out. I'd rather get excited about real products like the VR1200.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I think this is a real product. At GDC Online, David Coombes from SCEA dropped a solid hint about the HMD, and that was several months ago.

Regards,
Neil
smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by smoothy »

Neil wrote:I think this is a real product. At GDC Online, David Coombes from SCEA dropped a solid hint about the HMD, and that was several months ago.

Regards,
Neil
Do you have a link? I been searching google for anything and can't find it. This sounds amazing.
Neil

Post by Neil »

http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=73" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See???? It's important to read the front page!

Time index 5:20.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-oHFjlzLvU[/youtube]

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Still sounds like hype for a vaporware product. Of course the dream is real, I am just not sure it will materialize any time soon.

For example, Sony showed off this back in 2009 and I don't see it being sold on store shelves:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAS55_RngoQ[/youtube]

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”