3d playback problem!

AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

3d playback problem!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

Hello!
I have a decent gaming rig (core i3 540, GF GTX 460 1GB, 4GB ddr3 1333MHz) that i'll be using for 3d gaming and the occasional 3d MKV on my 90" dual projector setup.(just waiting for my screen to arrive!)

using KMplayer with the internal splitter and DXVA decoder, my CPU usage never goes over 5-10% when playing a 20GB h.264 rip of JC's Avatar, and it's smooth as hell at 23.976Hz, so for 2d it really couldn't work any better. In stereoscopic player though, i get horrific chopping all the time. I've tried different decoders and it's exactly the same, so i naturally started suspecting Haali's MKV splitter. So i configured KMP to use it, and voilá, terrible chopping!

The only hardware i could even remotely suspect is my RAM memory. Windows 7 gives it a performance rating of only 5.9(the rest are 7,3 to 7,6), so maybe that's the problem? Or is it Haali's that doesn't work properly on win7 x64?
My little HTPC(AsRock ION 330) doesn't have any problems at all when playing the exact same files with Haali's splitter on win7 x86.

are there any other splitters that could work with stereoplayer? Or is there any way to let KMP split the file and output the a/v streams to SP?
Thanks!
"This is great!"
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Re: 3d playback problem!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

i just tried it on the htpc. it chops a bit on anaglyph due to the extra processing power needed(90-100% cpu usage in the worst scenes), but monoscopic's fine. Even the 21GB 2d avatar rip works flawlessly, with cpu usage never once going beyond 40%

and the poor little thing has a combined windows performance rating of a mere 3.3! memory being 4.9(well not utterly shitty but every single thing is still much much worse than the gamer rig except for the hdd which is seeing NO usage since i'm streaming) - I guess the HTPC community just isn't ready for x64.

i don't really have any use for x64 so i'll just reinstall with x86 and see what happens. The main reason i installed 64 was for future-proofing(if i upgrade my RAM) and maximum performance. I don't have any x64 programs, so right now i just end up getting worse performance(and, MUCH worse video playback) :D

EDIT; Sure enough, installed win7 x86 and it plays just about anything without complaining.
"This is great!"

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”