Monster Vision Max 3D Glasses: Universal and Proprietary

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Monster Vision Max 3D Glasses: Universal and Proprietary

Post by Silversurfer »

3D is a bit of a mess in itself, but to make matters more complicated, a pair of shutter glasses that work with your Samsung TV won't work with your Panasonic TV...well...not very well. Monster is changing that, almost.

Their Vision Max 3D glasses promise universal compatibility on all 3D TVs—which is fantastic—but you'll need to use Monster's base station to make said TVs work with the glasses.

$250 buys you a base station (transmitting shutter sync information over 2.4GHz) and one pair of glasses. $180 buys you an extra pair of glasses.

It's not a bad idea—not at all. But so long as you can't just bring your glasses to a friend's house to watch a movie, so long as the glasses themselves can't decode every manufacturer's particular 3D timing, so long as you need a intermediary piece of equipment to make it all work, Monster's solution doesn't look much more tempting (or flexible) than that of the original manufacturers. [ChipChick]

http://gizmodo.com/5570660/monster-visi ... Gizmodo%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Monster Vision Max 3D Glasses: Universal and Proprietary

Post by cybereality »

Hopefully if more products like this sell then manufacturers will get together for a real standard.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

I think for sure the prices will come down soon as the tv's sell more and more, cant wait for my $25 china specs :)
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Are these gonna work with nvidia 3d vision too? Is that part of the universal standard or even the edimensional dongle.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
GPLavoie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GPLavoie »

I was reading here that they are going to work with a vesa 3 pin stereo connector. Does this mean that I can bypass the upgrade to the 3D Vision pro glasses setup all together, from my regular 3D Vision setup? I use a Quadro FX 3700 card with the 3D vision drivers installed....

I'm thinking that based on the link below, I may be able to remove 3D Vision and just use the monster vision glasses kit set up with a quadro card and a 120 Hz monitor?
http://3dvision-blog.com/monster-vision ... d-glasses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will this work? Because if so, I just solved my budget issue.

G.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Knowing Nvidia they surely disable the VESA port unless you purchase their "pro" glasses for an arm and a leg.
GPLavoie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GPLavoie »

They can't do that can they? I used the vesa port to work stereoscopically for years before 3D Vision even existed (i.e.: Nuvision glasses). The only reason I went for the 3D Vision glasses was to take advantage of the LCD screens. I guess the next question here is if the 120 Hz screens will work without 3D Vision glasses/emitter. Has anybody tested this?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

GPLavoie wrote:They can't do that can they?
They make the hardware and the software. Meaning they can do whatever they want.

I imagine 120Hz screens should work fine with other glasses, the only issue is getting them to sync. Not sure if anyone tried this yet.
GPLavoie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GPLavoie »

Is there anyone who has tested the monster vision glasses kit, using a 120 Hz "non-crt" monitor? Does NVidia own the 120Hz D-DVI intellectual property or something? There's a bunch of manufacturers building the screens, why do they only work with "3D Vision"?

What is up with that?
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

I think nvidia is only using dvi-d dual link is cause it supports 1080p full resolution stereo3d full bandwidth to the monitor. The only way other glases are to work with 120hz lcd monitor with dvi-d, vga or hdmi 1.4 is that there is a software 3d driver and the glasses that will connect to that software for sync. I always knew that a loopback driver should allow wired vga glasses and dongles to work with a 120hz lcd monitor, but using nvidias solution is far easier than elses, its just that is the stereo3d actually worth it in its tameness and I can honestly say its not. Its like 5% of effect right now. :x
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
GPLavoie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GPLavoie »

I just got this as an explanation as to how the Monster Vision 3D Max glasses could work with 120Hz monitors, like my Samsung 2233rz:

"Our emitter attaches itself to the Vesa 3-pin mini-din port to get the sync information and send it to the glasses. The glasses and emitter maintain a two way communication to keep in sync. The glasses don't have their own timing, rather they receive that information via the emitter from the VESA sync port on the graphics card. Our emitter also has a delay tuning control if needed to match signals in the monitor and emitter. What is the model # of your Samsung monitor? I suggest looking that up on Samsung.com and going over the specs there. You should not need to go back to a CRT monitor. Our products work with 120Hz monitors once they receive the sync information, in your instance through the sync port on your graphics card".

This has intrigued me, but not enough to test it yet. What really interests me is that you can get old Quadro FX1700 to test it for relatively cheap. I just don't have the cash to put on this yet. (http://www.compuvest.com/Search.jsp?Search=fx1700&tl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Anyone care to try it out?

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”