Tron: Legacy (The Movie) Reviewed!

Love it or Lump it - post your feedback to individual blog posts on mtbs3D.com
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Tron: Legacy (The Movie) Reviewed!

Post by PressBot »

By Neil Schneider

I’m scared to ask: but how many of our readers saw the original Tron in the movie theaters in 1982?  Hah!  The joke’s on the you!  I saw it on TV, so I’m younger…though not by much, I’m afraid.

Read full article...
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Tron: Legacy (The Movie) Reviewed!

Post by yuriythebest »

I wonder if Tron jeremy will also be in 3d

http://www.break.com/break-originals/ot ... my-1969596" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I just saw this tonight. I thought it was really cool. The 3D was mostly mild, but done well. The graphics in general, though, were really something else and worth seeing for the effects alone. Also, the story wasn't really that bad. I thought it was decent considering it was a Disney movie (meaning I wasn't expecting to be blown away like the first time I saw The Matrix). The music was also really good, might have to get the soundtrack. I admit, even some other 3D films like Tangled went further with the 3D visuals. However I think they did a good job with it, even if they could have pushed it further. Worth seeing for sure.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I saw this on the weekend and I'm not sure how I feel about it.
The original had some original (if flawed) tie-backs to what is happening inside the computer, such as bit... a character with two responses. The new one almost entirely lacked that and was just a regular film set in a VR world.
The graphics were good and I wasn't bothered by the CG Kevin Flynn at all. I thought it was good tie-back to the original. I was very disappointed by the 3D though. The best actually seemed to be before entering the house with the interaction between Kevin and Sam at the start of the movie. For some reason, that seemed to have a reasonable amount of depth. Once they got into the grid, it was barely 3D at all. To begin with I accepted that it may have been intentional so that audience could adjust, but it continued for the entire movie!
All up, it wasn't terrible, but I came out of the cinema feeling very meh about it.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

android78 wrote: The best actually seemed to be before entering the house with the interaction between Kevin and Sam at the start of the movie. For some reason, that seemed to have a reasonable amount of depth. Once they got into the grid, it was barely 3D at all.
Which house are you talking about? The one in the real world, or the one in the outskirts of Tron? The movie was only 3D inside the virtual world, the real world was all 2D.

I liked it, even though the separation was low. The rest of my sentiments prerrt much mirror Cyber's.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

PalmerTech wrote:
android78 wrote: The best actually seemed to be before entering the house with the interaction between Kevin and Sam at the start of the movie. For some reason, that seemed to have a reasonable amount of depth. Once they got into the grid, it was barely 3D at all.
Which house are you talking about? The one in the real world, or the one in the outskirts of Tron? The movie was only 3D inside the virtual world, the real world was all 2D.

I liked it, even though the separation was low. The rest of my sentiments prerrt much mirror Cyber's.
The house I'm talking about is the one with the young Sam Flynn before his father went missing. In the house it was 2D, but leading up to the house was a 3D sequence which had a lot of depth. Maybe it was done for IMAX only though?
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Maybe so. All the reviews I have seen said it was 2D only in the real world, and a few interviews have said it was done for conflicting reasons. Some say it was to show the limitless extent of the wonder of The Grid, and others say because it is easier to do 3D in CGI compared to the real world.

Now I am really curious! Perhaps one of those times where a massive Imax FOV makes up for lack of 3D? I am going to research and see.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I was under the impression that the movie was in 2D until he went into the grid. It certainly seemed that way.
gisabun

Post by gisabun »

As far as I saw, it was in 2D in the real world. It only make sense [for cinematic reasons] to keep the 3D within the grid only.

I saw the movie for free as part of as seminar from Citrix. [They even through in a very early but crappy lunch plus pop corn and drinks.] I didn't find the 3D as interesting as Avatar [from what i remember of Avatar almost a year ago. Yes there were some scenes where the 3D was done nicely. In other areas, not really.

I suspect that Sam is a computer geek/nerd/guy/whatever like hios father. They just don't shjow it. His comments [to himself] [like "Oh not again."] were too many. Flynn senior was very hippy-ish - in comparison to the original movie where he wasn't but was a half dozen years after the end of the hippy era. Even when senior "disappeared" it was still the late 80s.

They did quite a good job of un-aging Jeff Bridges.

Sure glad the costumes improved [although Olivia Wilde's costume wasn't that revealing. :o ]

Return to “MTBS Editorial User Remarks”