Building AMD 3D gaming rig.Anybody gaming? Plz tell yor rig.

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
kriss332
One Eyed Hopeful

Building AMD 3D gaming rig.Anybody gaming? Plz tell yor rig.

Post by kriss332 »

Hi all,
Sorry guys,posted here by mistake.so i hav posted this querry in hardware & tech support.i dunno how 2 move the post,so Plz ignore this.
I m getting a budget pc for 3d gaming. Well i dont want a highest end machine. Processor doesnt really affect much in 3d gaming, so it has 2 b a sufficient GPU. I can get second hand things also so budget to b ~±450 $. Peoples, whosoever has been gaming on 3d, plz share yor configuration (if possible tell yor models also) as well as its compatibility & playable FPS & which all games hav been played. Coz i dont wan 2 go as forums & benches say. I need yor info. Plz feel free for any inputs. Thanks
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Building AMD 3D gaming rig.Anybody gaming? Plz tell yor

Post by cybereality »

Well $450 ain't gonna buy you much. I mean, the latest Nvidia cards cost more than that just for the GPU. So if that is your total budget you might have to go old-school. Meaning with the old Nvidia legacy drivers on Windows XP and a vintage card. You can get a 7900 GTX for like $20, and that should be able to run older games like Half-Life 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, F.E.A.R, Tomb Raider Anniversary, etc. Then you will need a CRT monitor, mostly any will be supported but look to see if you can get one that can hit 120Hz at a decent resolution. Shipping would cost a fortune, but you might find one on craigslist locally (or maybe you have one laying around). Shutter glasses (like the generic DLP rebrand of the ELSA Revelators) will cost you about $75. CPU/Mobo/RAM is not as important, but you still need something capable. P4 2.4Ghz w/ 2GB RAM is probably the lowest I would go (I used to run that and had a lot of fun playing older titles). If you want to go more modern, then you can probably cobble something together using AMD parts for a decent amount. I found this after a quick search for $379:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... =u00000687" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However you would still need to add a video card, like the Radeon HD 5670 for $79, which would bring you to $450. However this doesn't include any sort of 3D display or glasses, etc. Since its a total AMD rig, then Nvidia 3D Vision is not an option. You could still go for an old CRT with the DDD/IZ3D drivers if you use interlaced mode (but you will also need shutter glasses that include a "line-blanking" compatible dongle). If you want to go really cheap, than anaglyph is always an option. I recommend the Pro-Ana glasses ($10). For any modern 3D solution you are looking to spend like $300 off the bat, probably closer to $500 for the display/glasses combo. I mean, you can probably find the IZ3D monitor for like $150 on eBay but it hasn't exactly got the best reviews. Still, you are not going to get much better for the price. Then there is the VR920 for around $350, but you will then need to buy the iz3d drivers ($40) and the experience probably isn't as great as a 3D monitor. Then there is the Nvidia 3D Vision, around $500 for the bundle (but remember you need a Nvidia card which will cost more and it only works with Vista/7). If you want to go the Nvidia 3D Vision route, then there are also some 3D projectors starting at $350, so that could be an option. There is also the Zalman Trimon 3D monitor, which does work with AMD GPUs but costs around $500+. And you could always get a 3D HDTV, but then you are going to spend $1000+ just on the display. So any way you look you are going to be spending a lot more than $450, even if you can build a rig for that price.
kriss332
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kriss332 »

I mistakenly cross posted,later i added an apology here.
Seems like newegg server is not working in India rite now,so i cant c the rig u mentioned. U said that it is Amd route, u meant only by Radeon card or by CPU. With AMD CPU+ am3 mobo i can use nvidia GPU also i suppose. If i get a good Nvidia Gpu seperately,then is this rig going to be bottleneck free in most games? For screen i can arrange a 21" Crt (120 Hz)- HP P1130. & laterz a projector as well. Wat do u say?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, you can surely run an Nvidia card with an AMD CPU. I just mentioned the AMD card since that is what you requested in the topic. However an Nvidia GPU would open up some doors. I can't say the rig wouldn't bottleneck (surely something would be limiting). Building a computer that cheap you are probably going to have trouble running high-end games in 3D. Although if you are willing to play on medium/low settings you might be OK. For example, on my C2D E8400@3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR2, GTX 470 rig I can just barely get playable framerates out of Metro 2033 in 3D at absolute "low" settings. I probably get around 30-40fps, which is respectable. Most other games I can get 45-60fps in 3D on "high" settings. Most of my machine is pretty old, so even a low-end AMD mobo/CPU could compete, but the GPU is more important in regards to 3D. So if you go with a cheapo video-card that may hold you back. But, even so, if you just stick to slightly older games at moderate settings you should be OK.
kriss332
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kriss332 »

Hi, thank u so much. It has bn a severe headache since last month, researching for quality & budget cpu. Seems like it is solved now.well, some of high end games i'll hav 2 secrifice but rest shud b ok.Some of parts like RAM, DISK,PSU i wil get second hand & get a strong GPU. Bunches of thanks.

Return to “3D Console Gaming”