is my 85hz projector redundant for blu ray 3d ?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
rogerharris
One Eyed Hopeful

is my 85hz projector redundant for blu ray 3d ?

Post by rogerharris »

I have an optoma ep739 which has been fine for stereovision at 85hz with the edimensional glasses.

Ive been looking at what i need for 3d blu ray..

Either there is

A. The straight 3d blu ray TV systems
B. nvidia vision glasses with a 3d blu ray card like 260GT. They are releasing a driver soon which allows 120hz 3d ready projectors to be used with this setup.

B. Seems like a nice way to go...but does this mean my EP739 now totally hopeless for blu ray 3d ?
FIRST RIG:
Nvidia 6200 grafix + Shutter glasses
Optoma EP719 projector
Hitachi 21" CRT + Fresnel
rogerharris
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: is my 85hz projector redundant for blu ray 3d ?

Post by rogerharris »

according to the spec the ep739 has refresh rate of 120hz...will it be Ok with Nvidia vision system ?

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-EP739-SVGA ... lectronics
FIRST RIG:
Nvidia 6200 grafix + Shutter glasses
Optoma EP719 projector
Hitachi 21" CRT + Fresnel
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

very unlikely in every way ( br, 120hz...)
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

The EP739 is not certified with Nvidia, and thus will not work with Nvidia 3D Vision. It doesn't matter whether it can support 120Hz or not. You can see a list of compatible projectors here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision- ... ments.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Also keep in mind you will need a modern Nvidia GPU and Windows7 (to play Blu-Ray). Although any Geforce card later than the 8800 will work, you will only get hardware Blu-Ray 3D acceleration on the GTX 400 series and I think the GT 240.

However if you can see 3D with your current system, then it is likely Blu-Ray 3D will work (although not at full-HD resolutions). For example, you should be able to use either PowerDVD 10 or TotalMedia Theater 3 in line-interleaved mode. You will need to set your edimensional dongle to "line-blanking" mode (I believe it has this). You can test if this will work for free by downloading the iz3D driver and trying to play a game with their horizontal interlaced mode (make sure to do the custom installation). If you can run the iz3d driver interlaced, then playing Blu-Ray 3D in interlaced should also work.

However you will need a good machine to decode 3D Blu-Ray in real-time. My Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.6Ghz can just barely pull it off (but it works). Anything less ain't gonna cut it. However this is doing the decoding in software (CPU). If you get one of the new Nvidia cards (like GTX 400 series) then it will decode on the GPU. So it won't need as good of a CPU. However you will still need a somewhat decent rig.

Also, there is an adapter that Optoma has coming out soon called the 3D-XL (http://www.optoma.eu/projectordetailshe ... t&PC=3D-XL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). It is supposed to work with 120Hz 720P projectors and allow them to accept an HDMI 1.4 signal, needed for Blu-Ray 3D and/or PS3 3D. They say 14 projectors will be supported, but I don't see a list of model numbers. Probably doesn't work with your projector, but you never know.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”