novint falcon to navigate in 3d

vrekks
Cross Eyed!

novint falcon to navigate in 3d

Post by vrekks »

if anyone else has seen the novint falcon did you think that it would be a great device to manipulate a pointer in 3d space? the main marketing im seeing for the falcon is that it is still a regular 2d mouse but has a recoil feature. this is very nice and all its just that your still bound to moving within a single plane like a mouse. if instead of using the extra axis of movement for adding recoil, an application should be developed to interact with images viewed in 3d. the first thing that comes to mind is the removal or addition of functional groups to molecules for chemical or biological uses.
"Who has ever torn himself from the claw that encloses you when you drop a seed in a TV parlor? It grows you any shape it wishes! It is an environment as real as the world. It becomes and is the truth. Books can be beaten down with reason. But with all my knowledge and scepticism, I have never been able to argue with a one-hundred-piece symphony orchestra, full colour, three dimensions, and I being in and part of those incredible parlors."
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: novint falcon to navigate in 3d

Post by cybereality »

I've got a Falcon, its cool. And it does support X/Y/Z positioning in full 3d space. Its just that there is not many applications written directly for it so in most cases they need to use mouse emulation which is 2d. But it has a lot of potential given the right applications.
vrekks
Cross Eyed!

Post by vrekks »

im pretty sure the answer is gonna be no but do any of the games the falcon comes with( the black and white one where you control the pointer to move stuff for example) work in stereoscopic 3d? im bout to order one from walmart for 149. also to anyone who reads this with programming experience i read a post from tom novint (the owner of novint technologies) that he would give a falcon to someone if they were willing to right an application for it.
"Who has ever torn himself from the claw that encloses you when you drop a seed in a TV parlor? It grows you any shape it wishes! It is an environment as real as the world. It becomes and is the truth. Books can be beaten down with reason. But with all my knowledge and scepticism, I have never been able to argue with a one-hundred-piece symphony orchestra, full colour, three dimensions, and I being in and part of those incredible parlors."
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yes, some of the Falcon supported games do work in stereo3d such as Haptics-Life 2.
vrekks
Cross Eyed!

Post by vrekks »

i got my falcon a few days ago im pretty impressed. the haptics are quite powerful. the only downside is the small workspace but i feel the benefits outweigh this small inconvenience. anyway i have never played any half life games so when i get my visor functioning in 3d(spoke to emagin about iz3d and will hopefully post good news early next week) i am going to play using the visor and the falcon for the ultimate vr setup. well maybe not the ultimate setup http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... mbx#p22598" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but good enough for me.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

vrekks wrote:also to anyone who reads this with programming experience i read a post from tom novint (the owner of novint technologies) that he would give a falcon to someone if they were willing to right an application for it.
Carl Kenner already have an application for it, glovepie. He could contact them.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

someone wants to sell me theirs? Not one on the website and bidding wars on ebay. Pm pls.!
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

There is one on ebay at the moment:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mint-Novint-Falcon- ... 3cad09fd16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I might actually be interested in selling mine, let me think about it for a bit.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

He won't ship internationally, I only have courier in US, which would be good, but the shipping fee grows in expnential amount, due to weight .
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

I have a cheaper solution: stop watching videos, reading reviews and imagining how it would be to play HL2 feeling the weight of the objects and the recoil of the guns. The thrill will slowly fade away with time. It worked for me... *sigh* :(

Don't take me seriously :)
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Dude try a metro2033 on a 3d pj im sure it'll crawl back !!!! :o
vrekks
Cross Eyed!

Post by vrekks »

crim3 wrote:I have a cheaper solution: stop watching videos, reading reviews and imagining how it would be to play HL2 feeling the weight of the objects and the recoil of the guns. The thrill will slowly fade away with time. It worked for me... *sigh* :(

Don't take me seriously :)
I'm not sure if you are endorsing the falcon or speaking ill of it. Can you please clarify? You have used it right, what did you really think?
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

I think it's a great device, and I'd like to have one very much. But it's been a long time since I knew of its existence, and just letting the time pass is enough to mitigate those wishes and be happy without having it.
It was just a pessimistic joke.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

tritosine wrote:Dude try a metro2033 on a 3d pj im sure it'll crawl back !!!! :o
I have doubts that I could stand an experience like that for too long :woot :shock:
vrekks
Cross Eyed!

Post by vrekks »

You are probably right in waiting crim but there doesn't seem to be much to wait for. Novint is simply too small, with too little influence in the industry, to provide the software backbone for their product. I have owned the Falcon for a almost two years now and there really hasn't been any change in the games that can be played on it in those two years. If you are a Team Fortress 2 fanatic then definately get one. If not, wait till E3. Supposedly Novint is released some new scripts for it's emulation software. I wouldn't hold my breath though as Novint likes to severely underestimate wait times.

http://www.falconarmy.com/index.php?opt ... =9196#9196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

no punkbuster kicks because of it? Can u play quake et on public servers? With tha tmouse emulation sure its possible no?
Someone pls dispatch a falcon meanwhile to yours truly. :lol:
vrekks
Cross Eyed!

Post by vrekks »

You will get kicked from Punkbuster with the emulation software. People have already written letters about it and their response was similar to the response iz3d got.

It also uses screen scraping (pixel reading) for info on a game (like what gun you are holding) so a new script has to be written for every resolution. That doesn't look good for compatibility with 3d games.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

vrekks wrote:You are probably right in waiting crim but there doesn't seem to be much to wait for. Novint is simply too small, with too little influence in the industry, to provide the software backbone for their product. I have owned the Falcon for a almost two years now and there really hasn't been any change in the games that can be played on it in those two years. If you are a Team Fortress 2 fanatic then definately get one. If not, wait till E3. Supposedly Novint is released some new scripts for it's emulation software. I wouldn't hold my breath though as Novint likes to severely underestimate wait times.

http://www.falconarmy.com/index.php?opt ... =9196#9196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It isn't that I'm waiting for something. Sorry for making such an odd post, I'm feeling ridicolous :oops: What I mean is that when you want something very much, but you can't have it, time will erode that wish bit by bit until there is a day you no longer feel it. It was a mix of cheap philosophy and a joke, I was in the mood for such a post that day. The novint falcon is not the most expensive device. Only in errors and rip-offs in ebay I have lost more money than what the falcon costs.

I didn't know about f-gen, sounds very interesting. Before, I could imagine myself scripting for the falcon with glovepie, but I suppose that a tool made by novint itself should be better.
And that 'pixel reading', is it real? Sounds like science fiction.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

crim3 wrote:
vrekks wrote:And that 'pixel reading', is it real? Sounds like science fiction.
SCI FI or not , this FGEN stuff is easy and works.

Just tried it in mass effect2. Falcon + 3d, works for me ;)

Even better, Borderlands is coming!!! :mrgreen:
Last edited by tritosine5G on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Bump. See above :mrgreen:

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”