3D is a confusing world!

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
supercollider
One Eyed Hopeful

3D is a confusing world!

Post by supercollider »

Hi everyone,

I am new to the world of 3D. SO forgive me if my questions seem a little newbie-esque. I have a PS3, which as we know, got a firmware update today so that it can play 3D movies. I am keen to try this out. I am running the PS£ through an HDMI cable, converted to DVI and them into my EMachines 3D Ready DLP projector.

Like I said, I don't know much about 3D, but I guess this should allow me to watch movies in 3D.

There are 2 different setting for 3D on the projector:

* Nvidia 3D Vision - Which has no further options
* DLP 3D - Which also has an 'Invert' option

The projector itself is an Acer H5360, repackaged into an EMachines case. Product details are here:

http://www.acer.co.uk/acer/productv.do? ... 2185674443" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So my question is : What are the most cost effective solutions for me to view 3D movies and/or games.

Thanks for all your advice in advance :)

*EDIT* Although Acer says that this will do a frame rate in 3D of 120 Hz, when I thurn the projector on in 3D mode, it displays a frame rate of 60Hz....
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: 3D is a confusing world!

Post by Dom »

Hi I don't think you will be able to view ps3 3d with that dvi converter plug. The ps3 will only allow hdmi 1.4 cable to a hdmi 1.4 3dtv. I was wondering if your method would work but sadly your projector does not have framepacking method designed for 3dtv's I suppose. The only way your gonna be able to view your ps3 on your projector is if there is an hdmi 1.4 capture card installed into a pc then viewed streamed to your projector. Or else you gotta wait for a hdmi 1.4 projector or buy a 3dtv. You should still be able to view 3d from your pc.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Like Dom said, Sony is only support the new standard, HDMI 1.4, and not "legacy" 3D formats. So even though you may have a "3d ready" projector, chances are its not going to work with the PS3 for 3D games/movies. Although if you have a PC hooked up to it, you may be able to play 3D movies using PowerDVD 10. You should test first if Nvidia 3D Vision will work at all with your projector before going that route, as Nvidia can be pretty picky about what hardware they allow to work with this software.
supercollider
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by supercollider »

Hey all,

Disappointing, but thanks for the information. I can run the HDMI cable directly into the projector. Do you think this would make a difference? I actually made a mistake in the description there. I only use the HDMI/DVI converter when I have the thing hooked up to my computer.

So PS3 -> Projector is direct by HDMI.

Still not possible you think?

Thanks a lot!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The cable or converter makes no difference if that projector can't accept the signal.
supercollider
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by supercollider »

Damn, OK.

So if I wanted to watch 3D movies, I would have to buy a 3D Blue Ray player which could send the correct signal I am guessing?
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

I think the only way for you to watch blu-ray 3d and 3d games is to hook your projector to the vga line of your computer, Then use iz3d drivers, stereoscopic player and powerdvd 10 with 3d and have a blu-ray drive in your pc along with dlp link shutter glasses. Unless you use Nvidia 3d vision stuff.

There might be a standalone 3d blu-ray player that will work with checkerboard but maybe someone else knows what model it is and if it actually works.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

A standalone 3D Blu-Ray player won't help you, for the same reason a PS3 won't work. Your projector is not HDMI 1.4 compatible. However if you have a PC with Nvidia 3D Vision you should be able to get it to work. Also keep in mind you would need a Blu-Ray drive in your PC (at least 2x) and the PowerDVD 10 software but it will only work on Windows 7 (for 3D Vision output).
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Should try the inf hack, it might unlock the H5360 functionality entirely. Look for H5360 EDID keywords on nvidia forums.

For ps3 check that link in my signature. That 400 usd is confusing, its said to come with 2 pairs of glasses, anyway its on preorder, so who the hell knows.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”