RealD home possibibilty

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
bartjo
One Eyed Hopeful

RealD home possibibilty

Post by bartjo »

Hi! I've been looking for using the RealD glasses @ home, and I think I may have found a solution!
I've got an Optoma HD66 and the specs say that it has a 120hz VSync capability.
I've read that it's possible to modulate the polarisation, but that the depthQ modulator is very expensive.
Now some calculating:
120Hz means 120 refreshes in a second.
60 seconds in a minute means 120*60=7200 refreshes per minute.
That number is familiar to me: Harddisks have a 7200RPM speed!
Now, if we use a big cilinder/wheel with on the upper half a left-hand circular polarising filter and on the down half a right-hand one,
and we mount it on the HDD motor, we'll have a hardware polarisation filter. I know it sounds impossible but I'd like to give it a try.

We now only need software who switches every frame from left source to right source ;)

Who's with me?

Regards,
Bart Verhaegh
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: RealD home possibibilty

Post by Neil »

Uh oh....someone is trying to mess with the space time continuum again. :mrgreen:

Regards,
Neil
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

The hdd engine is regulated and i think it's quite hard to extract the necessary electronics and make a functional circuit. It doesn't have to be this tricky though. There's a simple circuit called a pll (phase locked loop) which can be used for the purpose. Use vsync through a 1-bit counter as referenssignal, a dc-controller for a dc-engine controlled by the output of the pll and a feedback signal from the engine to the pll and you're ready to go. The pll will lock the engines rpm as well as the phase to the incoming vsync.
There's one problem: Which eye's which so expect eyeswaps from time to time if the computer isn't able to shift properly (two left frames after each other for instance).
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
WheatstoneHolmes
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by WheatstoneHolmes »

Just build a stereo mirror (planar) rig and use linear polarized glasses, saves on the brain-strain and the cat will like it too! :D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Interesting theory but I doubt it will work. Would be cool though.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

I don't get it. This is a hybrid shutter / passive approach all you gain is cheap glasses, and you can't use any screen anymore. I want a remote controlled iris into my pj that would worth the effort.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
bartjo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bartjo »

Hey guys, it was just an idea spinning in my head for quite a while :D
I'm thinking of better solutions right now. Maybe a DIY Polarisation rotator/modulator with an LCD?
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

...imho a polarization preserving screen is asking for trouble...

- I dont see why this hybrid approach is better than shutters at all.
http://lennylipton.wordpress.com/2009/1 ... en-part-1/

The author is behind realD , and developed IR shutters in 80's as well. Possible there are more realD related posts there. The ones related to shutters are my favorite :mrgreen:
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Go dual passive. With a decent screen nothing will go wrong and it'll give the best experience up to date. There are quite a few people to ask about how to as well.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Would be cool as hell to give this a try and im sure someone with a little electronic finess could do it without too much trouble.
I expect there would be still a lot of ghosting as the wheel isnt instantly on or off but must pass through each phase.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”